Landry’s price increases with Hopkins signing | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Landry’s price increases with Hopkins signing

I think the unplanned need to spend $10M on Jay Cutler completely destroyed any potential long term deal for Jarvis being done this year. I also think that Gase still wants him for the future. However, the onus is on Jarvis to have a great year and score a lot more TDs. His management team are allegedly seeking top 5 NFL receiver money and while he's a terrific slot receiver, I don't put him in the Julio Jones, Antonio Brown league. If he does well and still wants more then at worst, we can franchise tag him (and juggle the finances elsewhere), if he doesn't play well enough we offer him what we think he is worth or let him walk. This is an extended negotiation and it is dependent on Jarvis's production performance.
I don't want to lose him but I don't want to lock him up by ridiculously overpaying him. The other factor in all of this is DeVante Parker and his performance. DeVante probably has the bigger upside, long term, but both are great.
Considering the mess that our receiver corps was in when Tannenbaum arrived with Mike Wallace overpaid, not connecting with Tannehill and having on the field tantrums with old Joe Philbin. Tannenbaum correctly discarded Wallace and Hartline (another overpaid by Ireland), traded for Stills, drafted Jarvis Landry and the following year drafted Parker.

I think the unplanned need to spend $10M on Jay Cutler completely destroyed any potential long term deal for Jarvis being done this year. I also think that Gase still wants him for the future. However, the onus is on Jarvis to have a great year and score a lot more TDs. His management team are allegedly seeking top 5 NFL receiver money and while he's a terrific slot receiver, I don't put him in the Julio Jones, Antonio Brown league. If he does well and still wants more then at worst, we can franchise tag him (and juggle the finances elsewhere), if he doesn't play well enough we offer him what we think he is worth or let him walk. This is an extended negotiation and it is dependent on Jarvis's production performance.
I don't want to lose him but I don't want to lock him up by ridiculously overpaying him. The other factor in all of this is DeVante Parker and his performance. DeVante probably has the bigger upside, long term, but both are great.
Considering the mess that our receiver corps was in when Tannenbaum arrived with Mike Wallace overpaid, not connecting with Tannehill and having on the field tantrums with old Joe Philbin. Tannenbaum correctly discarded Wallace and Hartline (another overpaid by Ireland), traded for Stills, drafted Jarvis Landry and the following year drafted Parker.
i had forgotten how much we paid him. Ouch.

Amazing how just a few years back how we longed for a real WR corp. Now we have a pretty exceptional group that is just beginning to come together and people are like, "No thanks. I've seen enough". :facepalm

Not to mention, we don't even have a TE that can replace the MOF production Landry provides either.
its bizzaro.

This is silly guys. I'm pretty sure that everyone here would love to have Landry back and we all believe he's a good player. The question really is, can we afford to pay him what he'll want? Nobody should say we don't need him but a better question, can we afford to spend so much at WR with all the holes we have on defense. Suh is a great player but paying him so much has hurt us in a way too. Now keep on mind it's not up to us here if we keep him or not but at this point I just don't see it happening

Ozzy rules!!

It means a player who is involved in almost 95% of the offensive snaps and an NFL record 288 receptions over 3 years.

Gentlemen, stop looking silly for trying to discredit what Landry brings to this squad just b/c you don't think he should be paid like a top WR.

Just to add fuel to the fire...count how many of those receptions came in games the Fins were getting blown out. Can you recall one big reception game he had where the team won?

Just to add fuel to the fire...count how many of those receptions came in games the Fins were getting blown out. Can you recall one big reception game he had where the team won?

Awesome, now we have people downgrading Landry b/c of our defensive whoas.

Landry will get more than Stills either here or somewhere else. That's not a knock on Stills (I want to keep both). It goes beyond stats and ability, which really aren't comparable as they might as well play different positions given their roles in the offense.

Landry is getting a new contract nearly 2 years after Stills, most likely. Contracts go up every year. That is somehow still surprising to people. Further, Landry adds the fact that he is more marketable than Stills. Regardless of stats or anything else, Landry will always sell more jerseys. That's the biz.

That being said, I'm not going to worry myself over the cap. That stuff tends to work itself out in this league. None of the doomsday prophecies of the past have panned out, I don't see why they would this time.

Awesome, now we have people downgrading Landry b/c of our defensive whoas.

This thread has really gotten out of hand. Landry is a player you should want on your team, just not for too much money. The downplaying of his skills is ridiculous and don't even deserve a response. Not everyone can be 6'5", 240lbs and run a 4.2. He does the best with the tools he has, and their damn good tools. If the NFL was an uncapped league (as it should be imo), I'd be all for it. He wants $16M a year? Sure, go for it.

This thread has really gotten out of hand. Landry is a player you should want on your team, just not for too much money. The downplaying of his skills is ridiculous and don't even deserve a response. Not everyone can be 6'5", 240lbs and run a 4.2. He does the best with the tools he has, and their damn good tools. If the NFL was an uncapped league (as it should be imo), I'd be all for it. He wants $16M a year? Sure, go for it.
I have to disagree with you wanting the NFL not to have a cap. Look what has happen to MLB where only a few team can compete every year. The cap is fine. You just have to be smart as to how you spend your money

Ozzy rules!!

I have to disagree with you wanting the NFL not to have a cap. Look what has happen to MLB where only a few team can compete every year. The cap is fine. You just have to be smart as to how you spend your money

Ozzy rules!!

C'mon, I thought you were a true fan. You're aware that Ross is a billionaire, right?

IMG_2755.PNG
Lol seriously though, the reason I feel that way is because football is such a violent sport with much greater risk. Raising the salary cap dramatically would be another answer, but I doubt that would ever happen either.

Hope Landry will humble out as time goes on if you know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom