Lane Johnson had the 'freakiest Combine' ever (Rotoworld) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lane Johnson had the 'freakiest Combine' ever (Rotoworld)

TANanhasaBUSH

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Oklahoma T Lane Johnson had the "freakiest Combine in the history of our coverage," according to NFL Network's Mike Mayock.

Measuring in at 6'6/303 pounds, Johnson ran a 4.72 "official" forty while also recording a 34 inch vertical, 118 inch broad jump, 7.31 three cone, and 28 bench press reps. We expect the former quarterback recruit to be a top ten pick in April's draft, likely to a team trading up.

Make it happen Ireland!

At first, I hated the idea. But now, I realize alot of our needs are filled. Sure, we need another CB. But I'd say OT is our biggest need right now. Make this happen.

What's even freakier is that he can play LT AND RT fairly well.
Tavon Austin groupies arriving in 3...2...1

I would really like this pick, actually. He's Philbin's type of offensive lineman, being a very athletic player. With most of our needs filled, take him with the first pick, then WR and DL 2nd round and I'd be happy.

:bobdole:

The 1st overall pick, the 15th overall pick, a second round pick, a third round pick, and 4 losing seasons later...people still dont get it.

:bobdole:

IMO no matter what we should draft BPA in first round. If that is Johnson, so be it.

We've done some exciting things so far this offseason but if we trade up for a cornfed I'll be cancelling my plans to see a game in Miami once again for another season.

He will not be there at 12, and I don't want to move up for him.

Nah we could find someone good later on. I hate this philosophy of prioritizing LT above our other needs, I mean Cornerback should be a higher priority or any other position needing playmakers is of higher priority than an offensive linemen. If Ireland is so good at evaluating the big guys he could find one later on at a good value.

I think it all depends on what Joe Philibin thinks of Jonathan Martin. If he feels Martin can be at least adequate at LT then I think the team looks in another direction. But, based on his rookie play it wouldn't surprise me to see a trade up, maybe with Cleveland, to get Lane Johnson.

At first, I hated the idea. But now, I realize alot of our needs are filled. Sure, we need another CB. But I'd say OT is our biggest need right now. Make this happen.

At what point do we stop trying to address "needs" and start trying to gain an advantage over our competition? Atlanta didn't "need" a WR, but they still went with a playmaker in Jones to give themselves an advantage, and it paid off. There are plenty of other examples, but if we're settling for addressing basic needs with every single move, we're going to get nowhere. We could use more playmakers on offense, for example.

Also, why is it okay to draft for need only when it comes to the line? Every year I read "BPA! BPA!" from people that were looking for excuses to not draft a QB because they supposedly weren't the "BPA," but now a lot of those exact same people have no problem with it if it's a lineman because they see it as the biggest need in the history of the Miami Dolphins organization. (note: not talking about you)

Those who don't want him will once again complain that we can't protect our QB long enough to hit our deep threat down field. Pouncey is the best center in the league, and Long was the best LT in the game until injury. We finally have a QB that's worth a damn. Protect the man.

Those who don't want him will once again complain that we can't protect our QB long enough to hit our deep threat down field. Pouncey is the best center in the league, and Long was the best LT in the game until injury. We finally have a QB that's worth a damn. Protect the man.

I think youve misunderstood the board the past few years.

People havent been saying: "Our quarterback got injured! Why couldnt we protect him?!?!?!". People have been saying: "Our quarterback got injured! We spent all these frigging picks on offensive lineman. Why couldnt we protect him!?!?!?!"

Key difference.

We have our LT. He has some baptism by fire and an offseason to develop. If Lane drops to us great. However we can address this position in fa or later rounds in the draft.

First off, I have no huge problem with drafting him so long as we don't trade up to do it. I wouldn't be throwing parties in celebration and would be generally indifferent towards the pick, but thats it. At least we wouldn't paying top dollar for a lineman anymore. Second, I've never complained about "not being able to protect the QB long enough to hit our deep threat down field" because we haven't had a legitimate downfield threat to hit, nor a QB capable of hitting him in over a decade :lol:

And finally, Long was never the best LT in the game, but even if he was, it sure didn't help us win any more games than we would have won with an average-to-above average LT in the same games.

Back
Top Bottom