Lane Johnson had the 'freakiest Combine' ever (Rotoworld) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lane Johnson had the 'freakiest Combine' ever (Rotoworld)

Lane Johnson is BPA when compared to the 12th pick. The CB we draft at 12 is not any better then the second round CBs. therefore we will try to trade up and if not then trade down.

With all the talk from Ireland/Philbin about the need for more playmakers, the question is - do they think they've done enough in Free Agency to where they do look to the trenches in the top few rounds.

For me, it's about explosion, dynamism and play making ability that will give this team the edge on whomever they play, that speaks to WR/TE/DE/CB and possibly... FS and OLB.

what a stud, my favourite tackle in the draft

And finally, Long was never the best LT in the game, but even if he was, it sure didn't help us win any more games than we would have won with an average-to-above average LT in the same games.

Lets not rewrite history just because you think Long was over-drafted or you would have preferred to draft someone else ( frankly Long was the right pick, we should then have added the best QB in the draft Joe Flacco after him, but that's beside the point) not only was Long the best LT in the game before he got injured but he was playing at a hall of fame level.

Long was a great tackle, he never had the impact he could have because he never had a good quarterback to protect.

In past years, I would have been 100% opposed to a 1st round OL. But this offseason hasn't been like past years. We needed a playmaking WR. We signed Wallace. We needed speed and youth at LB. We signed Ellerbe and Wheeler. We needed 2 CBs. We signed Grimes, which leaves us needing only one.
Keep in mind, I'm NOT saying I wouldn't like a Tavon Austin or Dee Milliner or Xavier Rhodes pick. I'm just saying, I think Lane Johnson would be a great pick as well, as long as you add a CB in the 2nd and someone like Swope late 2nd/early 3rd

:bobdole:

The 1st overall pick, the 15th overall pick, a second round pick, a third round pick, and 4 losing seasons later...people still dont get it.

People who say this conveniently ignore the fact that the Dolphins had garbage at QB. They somehow want to correlate picking offensive lineman high with losing when the only correlation with losing is not having a great QB. The best teams in the league have great QB's and than they draft offensive lineman, especially tackles, high in the draft in order to protect them.

Lets not rewrite history just because you think Long was over-drafted or you would have preferred to draft someone else ( frankly Long was the right pick, we should then have added the best QB in the draft Joe Flacco after him, but that's beside the point) not only was Long the best LT in the game before he got injured but he was playing at a hall of fame level.

Long was a great tackle, he never had the impact he could have because he never had a good quarterback to protect.
No he wasn't and no he wasn't. Take off the aqua and coral glasses for a minute and recognize that he had flaws in his game even before purchasing a second home on IR. Joe Thomas was better (lot of good it has done Cleveland, eh? :lol: ).

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

People who say this conveniently ignore the fact that the Dolphins had garbage at QB. They somehow want to correlate picking offensive lineman high with losing when the only correlation with losing is not having a great QB. The best teams in the league have great QB's and than they draft offensive lineman, especially tackles, high in the draft in order to protect them.
And people who say this conveniently ignore the fact that we had garbage QBs because we prioritized offensive line over QB.

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

In past years, I would have been 100% opposed to a 1st round OL. But this offseason hasn't been like past years. We needed a playmaking WR. We signed Wallace. We needed speed and youth at LB. We signed Ellerbe and Wheeler. We needed 2 CBs. We signed Grimes, which leaves us needing only one.
Keep in mind, I'm NOT saying I wouldn't like a Tavon Austin or Dee Milliner or Xavier Rhodes pick. I'm just saying, I think Lane Johnson would be a great pick as well, as long as you add a CB in the 2nd and someone like Swope late 2nd/early 3rd
We needed playmaker(s). The plural is vital. I'm really happy we got Wallace and Keller, but that should only be the beginning. Same on the defensive side.

No he wasn't and no he wasn't. Take off the aqua and coral glasses for a minute and recognize that he had flaws in his game even before purchasing a second home on IR. Joe Thomas was better (lot of good it has done Cleveland, eh? :lol: ).

He certainly had flaws but before injury wore him down he was still as good as a LT got in this league.

Long was the right pick, looking back now we should have made sure our roster had Jake Long and Joe Flacco not Matt Ryan and someone else.

Chicken or the egg?? How many playoff wins have Stafford and Bradford gotten with their Star QB? Balance and team, with coaching and management to have the knowledge and vision to put it all together...

We have an athletic QB who should be making even better reads now. If LJ is there at #12 im good with the pick but no way spending multiple picks to trade up a few spots to get this guy. We just wasted a #1 overall in Jake Long to watch him leave once it was contact time. To think we would have to give up two picks in the top 54 for a gamble on a LT, is not intelligent at all.

We need a DE opposite of Wake to put pressure on the passing game of our opponents. The Giants have won superbowls with less talent than their opponents using a sick pass rush. Take advantage of Wake while oyu can, he isnt going tobe elite for much longer...

Wilson and Koepernick have OTs that protect well. We have none on either side. Better get yourself ready for some balance.

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

And people who say this conveniently ignore the fact that we had garbage QBs because we prioritized offensive line over QB.

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

We needed playmaker(s). The plural is vital. I'm really happy we got Wallace and Keller, but that should only be the beginning. Same on the defensive side.

The logic in this thread is a disaster. It always is when you have people trying to make a case for the Jake Long mistake.

Hell, we have two posts in this thread that directly contradict one another despite trying to argue the same point of view.

"Jake Long was the right pick"... except no he wasn't. If he was the right pick, he'd still be here. Furthermore, the team would've been winning had he been the right pick.

"The Dolphins lose because they had garbage QB's"... exactly. Miami had garbage QB's because they chose Jake Long instead of Matt Ryan.

This is a pretty good article that illustrates the point I've been trying to get across about the left tackle position. The league is beginning to understand how overrated the position has become due to innovation, and changes in how offenses attack defenses, and vice versa. It specifically mentions my point about the key to having a good offensive line being 5 guys that step together, and how competent personnel people value skill positions and pass rushers high in the draft. I've tried to get that point across by showing the draft history of winning teams in black and white, but you can't fix stupid, and you can't convince stubborn.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9...-path-proves-demise-left-tackle-espn-magazine

The 1st overall pick, the 15th overall pick, a second round pick, a third round pick, and 4 losing seasons later...people still dont get it.

No sir, you don't get it. But you will soon.

[/COLOR]

Nobody is denying the fact that the Dolphins did not have a worthy QB, but it is only because they believed in Chad Henne. They were wrong to believe that, but you cant fault them for trying to build a decent line to protect him. The problem was believing, for too long, that Henne was the answer at QB not the philosophy of building a solid offensive line. I will also concede that they were wrong about some of the players they drafted to play those positions on the offensive line but I believe Tony Sporano had the most influence on those selections. I trust Philbin's eye for offensive line talent and scheme more, but only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom