Lebartard just on the radio in nashville | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lebartard just on the radio in nashville

bongo59

Starter
Reaction score
just leaked tomorrows column and he says that he talked to RW 2 hrs ago and it cause him to write a new article about it..........basically he asked RW about the timing of his retirement and his response was quite interesting.......he said how does anyone know it is not the best decision for him and the fins???? he said that running him into the line did not get them anywhere in two yrs and he did not think it would have worked again. He said minor is faster and younger than him and it will force the coaching staff to do different things that may work. The running of RW did not get the dolphins anywhere close to what either party wanted. He was going to retire next yr but he decide to do it now because he was fed up with the football life. He went on to say that if the fins go 4-12 than you can crucify him THEN, but not before, because no one knows exactly what will happen in the end, but if the fins win maybe everyone will say that is was the best move for both him and the fins and the fans.

I thought his perspective was quite interesting. Dan said it would be in the herald tomorrow because what RW said was profound. He also said that DW emotions when he got the phone call from RW went from shock first to concern to down right anger at the end when it became clear to DW that RW was not coming back at all. RW reportedly was told at the end of the conversation that DW said, "IF you were my son I would advise you to play football." RW said he thought immediately, that his response made it clear to him that he had made the correct decision. RW response, was clever, "If you were my dad you would tell me to do what made me happy, not what would make you and everyone else happy."

I heard Lee Steinberg (Ricky's agent) today do an interview. He said that Ricky was in the best shape of his life this summer. He also said that Ricky didn't want to take the pounding he did last year. Lee said Ricky was thrown into the center of the line taking hits off 325 pound linemen and his heart wasn't into it. At first when I heard of this and even now, I feel like its a bad dream. However, after hearing Steinberg and reading Lebatard's column this morning I can understand Ricky's decision. Of course everyone wants Ricky to play, but maybe this will change Dave's philosophy about running the ball 35 times a game. If Minor is put into that situation, then Dave needs to be fired.

The people who were blaming Wany for this are partially right. Ricky doesn't want to be a crippled when he is older. Good luck Rick we hope you find the "truth" you so desperately seeks.

Drfletcherdc said:
I heard Lee Steinberg (Ricky's agent) today do an interview. He said that Ricky was in the best shape of his life this summer. He also said that Ricky didn't want to take the pounding he did last year. Lee said Ricky was thrown into the center of the line taking hits off 325 pound linemen and his heart wasn't into it. At first when I heard of this and even now, I feel like its a bad dream. However, after hearing Steinberg and reading Lebatard's column this morning I can understand Ricky's decision. Of course everyone wants Ricky to play, but maybe this will change Dave's philosophy about running the ball 35 times a game. If Minor is put into that situation, then Dave needs to be fired.

The people who were blaming Wany for this are partially right. Ricky doesn't want to be a crippled when he is older. Good luck Rick we hope you find the "truth" you so desperately seeks.

All this still doesn't change anything.........he had plenty of time to give word to the FO ............... what kind of chickensh*t waits all this time to make such a groundbreaking decision???? Ricky is the kind of guy who obviously buys into "the grass is greener on the other side" theory. Notice how he doesn't make these odd decisions until he's in another country. All the reasons he has could be solid, if he had made the decision some time ago. He let it slide like an irresponsible, self centered prick ...........

i really think his response to DW and to the timing question show he has really been thinking this over for a long time.......and i do think that the fins have to change.........you would not bang your head into a concrete wall for three yrs with no good outcome but yet it is OK for the fins and the coaching staff to ask RICKY do it???? yesterday i felt differently about RW now i dont know.........maybe he is not nuts and knows exactly what he is doing in calculating his moves

Thanks for the thread Bongo. Very interesting stuff. I like to believe that Ricky had a method to his madness in regard to his timing. It will force the team to do some different things, and they are long overdue for some new things for sure!

I think the combo of Minor and Konrad could be awesome!! Konrad is another guy that deserves a lot more credit, as does Minor. This is their chance to shine!!

bongo59 said:
just leaked tomorrows column and he says that he talked to RW 2 hrs ago and it cause him to write a new article about it..........basically he asked RW about the timing of his retirement and his response was quite interesting.......he said how does anyone know it is not the best decision for him and the fins???? he said that running him into the line did not get them anywhere in two yrs and he did not think it would have worked again. He said minor is faster and younger than him and it will force the coaching staff to do different things that may work. The running of RW did not get the dolphins anywhere close to what either party wanted. He was going to retire next yr but he decide to do it now because he was fed up with the football life. He went on to say that if the fins go 4-12 than you can crucify him THEN, but not before, because no one knows exactly what will happen in the end, but if the fins win maybe everyone will say that is was the best move for both him and the fins and the fans.

I thought his perspective was quite interesting. Dan said it would be in the herald tomorrow because what RW said was profound. He also said that DW emotions when he got the phone call from RW went from shock first to concern to down right anger at the end when it became clear to DW that RW was not coming back at all. RW reportedly was told at the end of the conversation that DW said, "IF you were my son I would advise you to play football." RW said he thought immediately, that his response made it clear to him that he had made the correct decision. RW response, was clever, "If you were my dad you would tell me to do what made me happy, not what would make you and everyone else happy."

Gee and most everyone thinks this backstabber just wants to hang out in a hut in Jamacia and get high. Carry on my wayward son there be peace when you are done. Hang your weary head and reeeest, don't you cry no more. :D

Den54 said:
Gee and most everyone thinks this backstabber just wants to hang out in a hut in Jamacia and get high. Carry on my wayward son there be peace when you are done. Hang your weary head and reeeest, don't you cry no more. :D

Look some of the things said about his potsmoking are obvious exaggerations, but the reality of the matter is that the guy loves to smoke weed........pure and simple and he can't do that while in the NFL. Go read Section126's new article and it'll make you think again about how serious his affinity for weed actually is.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=41503

i think if you really look into his answer he is telling everyone the fins aint going anywhere running him into DL's..........and he is incredibly right......he has run for over 3100 yds in two yrs and the fins have how many playoff appearances???? I think this move will force the fins to change their MO and it may turn out well...........RW at least was man enough to say if it did not work out he'll take the heat but he wont accept it now because no one can predict the end result at all...........and according to RW he told amny folks on the team and the FO he was thinking like this 6 months ago but no one except minor believe it was posssible..........apparently RW thinks alot of minor and his abilites

bongo59 said:
i think if you really look into his answer he is telling everyone the fins aint going anywhere running him into DL's..........and he is incredibly right......he has run for over 3100 yds in two yrs and the fins have how many playoff appearances???? I think this move will force the fins to change their MO and it may turn out well...........RW at least was man enough to say if it did not work out he'll take the heat but he wont accept it now because no one can predict the end result at all...........and according to RW he told amny folks on the team and the FO he was thinking like this 6 months ago but no one except minor believe it was posssible..........apparently RW thinks alot of minor and his abilites

You're right about that first comment . . . which is EXACTLY WHY WE BROUGHT IN DAVID BOSTON, AN IMPROVED OFFENSIVE LINE, AND COMPETITION AT QUARTERBACK. We had made the necessary moves to keep teams from stacking the box against RW. That was the entire purpose of our offseason. Say what you want about his happiness, the guy chose to not be hassled by the NFL for his pot smoking over the "unwritten" commitment he made to his teammates, his coaches, and his fans. He's perfectly free to do whatever he wants, but we are perfectly free to resent him for it. I could have maybe dealt with this had it been done in a timely fashion, but it is inexcusable to leave the team (and us) high and dry a week before camp. Even 48 hours earlier and we would probably have Eddie George or Antowain Smith as our starter and be in MUCH better shape. He can justify it however he wants with talk of the Dolphins needing to change, but the fact is he quit on this team . . . and on us. The coaches, players, and fans of the Miami Dolphins welcomed him with open arms. We immediately gave him the benefit of the doubt over his problems in New Orleans. We gave him the opportunity to be the league's leading rusher in 2002. We also invested time, draft picks, and money in not only bringing him here but building our team around him. I've got one word for Mr. Williams . . . INTEGRITY.

look teams show no loyalty to any player.......we just cut a potential HOF back because his skills are eroding.........our FO showed him no love much like the fins FO did to marino at the end when he still wanted to play.......bottom line is RW has loyalty only to himself........you may not like it but that is true for every player.........i think RW actually thought this out and he is forcing the issue down the fins and FO throat.........and maybe they just use the WR and TE alot more and throw it a ton

bongo59 said:
look teams show no loyalty to any player.......we just cut a potential HOF back because his skills are eroding.........our FO showed him no love much like the fins FO did to marino at the end when he still wanted to play.......bottom line is RW has loyalty only to himself........you may not like it but that is true for every player.........i think RW actually thought this out and he is forcing the issue down the fins and FO throat.........and maybe they just use the WR and TE alot more and throw it a ton

Give me a break man................. seriously.........you talking like the Fins have cut people the night before Week 1 leaving players to scramble to try and find another team to catch on with. The essence of what we're talking about is owning up to respsonsibility and committment when a completely self-serving decision threatens to undercut the ambitions and futures of 53 other guys on the team.............. Ricky was flatout selfish. He led this team to believe that he was in it to win it by participating in every offseason activity, showing up in immaculate shape and by giving a "Let's come back committed to winning this speech" to the team after their last QB school. Furthermore, he let his thoughts about retiring carry on for the longest time without professionally addressing it with the team, letting them know that they might be better off looking elsewhere. All they got was a stupid chicksh*t phone call from Ricky while he was in Hawaii. That's not a real man.............

Don't give me that sh*t about players could get cut at any time. They definately could be, but it's done in a more responsible fashion, except if you're Lawyer Milloy.

We're all entitled to making choices in life.........it's called free will.........but that right is governed by the laws of decency and responsibility. Ricky Williams doesn't believe in any of those because he leads an unstructured life.......one which he only exists in and he's in no way shape or form connected to anyone or anything else so he blindly does not see the aftermath of his decisions. He thinks he's this beautiful, unique snowflake. And that's the problem.......... he's almost martyred himself.

You think maybe he might have talked to Wannstedt about being used so much. You think maybe he could have even gone public with his concerns if Wannstedt didn't agree.

Let's face it, three days ago, if Ricky had come out and said those things publicly against Wannstedt, Dave would be the one on the plane to Asia right now.

But, he still would have to submit to the league substance abuse program. That's the bottomline, make no mistake about it.

It's about being controlled.

inFINSible said:
You think maybe he might have talked to Wannstedt about being used so much. You think maybe he could have even gone public with his concerns if Wannstedt didn't agree.

Let's face it, three days ago, if Ricky had come out and said those things publicly against Wannstedt, Dave would be the one on the plane to Asia right now.

But, he still would have to submit to the league substance abuse program. That's the bottomline, make no mistake about it.

It's about being controlled.

Seriously though, I can't believe the guy couldn't give up smoking weed for just one more season. That's pathetic.......... potheads and stoners are pathetic.

Whatever makes you happy Rickey, go for it. If your head and heart are'nt into football anymore, you made the right decision. Sure most Fin Fans are mad, PO'ed, have negative comments to say about you and your decision. Sure the timing wasn't the best move. Who's to say if E.George & A.Smith were still available they'd even want to come here. Nobody knows what lies ahead for the Fins, only time will tell.

Loyalty had nothing to do with the George situation . . . and even if it did, one situation does not speak for the entire state of the sport. I know all about the George situation as I too live in TN. The Titans have been fighting off cap hell for quite some time now, and they've done a good job. Giving George the money (and years) he wanted was only going to further lengthen the "rebuilding process" that Fisher is hoping to avoid altogether. In a capped league, there are always going to be situations like this . . . but it does not mean the league, as a whole, is not loyal to players.

As far as loyalty to himself, sure. Like I said, we are free to resent him for his decision.

If he thought it out (which I agree he did), then it just makes my point about the timing being inexcusable that much more right. How do you wait until a week before training camp to quit? How do you stand up in a team meeting only a month ago and give an inspirational speech about what the team is going to accomplish this season and then quit? He left this team with no options. That is just plain classless.

As far as throwing more, teams don't just magically change their offensive schemes over night. It takes time. I have no doubt that we will find a way to go on, but the way you are suggesting it is like putting a band-aid over a bullet wound.

Back
Top Bottom