Let's talk TE's. Who needs one, who doesn't. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Let's talk TE's. Who needs one, who doesn't.

TE must be the most difficult position to project to the NFL.

You would be hard pressed to find any coach/gm that doesnt think every player they select is BPA.

Our need at TE just happens to correspond nicely with this year's class. As does our first round need of an OLB, with the small chance of a hall of fame guard as possibility.

Eric Ebron signed with the Colts tonight. 2 years 15 million. Doesnt look like picks 36 or 37 will be a TE. Colts are sandwiched around all 3 teams (4 combined picks) that drafted TEs in the first last year.....and Chicago who i gave the lowest score too.

Denver and Oakland present a problem. Chicago needs picks, won't take much to get to 39 from 42.

Book it, Miami selects a TE 39th overall.
We need picks also with the production we let go this past year. Not like our drafts have been super productive these past couple of years in the first 3 rounds either. Tunsil slid backwards last year, Howard got hurt his first year. Drake just started 8 games last year and was banged up his rookie year, Harris made no real impact last year, McMillan hurt all of last year, Tankersley finally started and got hurt last year oh yeah that Carroo guy has been inactive or on the bench for 2 years. While Gase is evaluating his production of his players,and their lack of homework they put in maybe he should evaluate his own draft picks and why they have not been showing up game day either. Don't get me started on his free agent pickups since he has been here either thats been much worse. His golden secpter of personal choices has been rotten pretty much.

Gesicki is fine but don’t be surprised if he has some workout warrior in him. He tests like a first rounder and plays like a third rounder. I’d take Hurst, Goedert and Andrews over him. Hurst looks really solid out there but age 25 is an annoyance with him.

I've been pretty consistent in saying that this TE class sucks, and it's a big mark against the FO if they draft a TE in 2018 after bypassing the stacked 2017 group.

I mean I get that last years class was better but what do you suggest instead of drafting someone? We can’t just stand pat and do nothing.. we’ve got to take a swing on one of these guys even though last year we missed on all of them

We actually need two TE's.

I don't think there's anything left at the position in free agency either. I agree. Get one who can stretch the seam and another who can block. Andrews maybe in R2 and Izzo with that later 4th?

TE is a 2nd round position.

Last year's freak's have no bearing on this class. Considering we have picks 11 and 42, we are better with a class like this year as opposed to last year's or we'd be talking about taking Howard at 11.

Travis Kelce, Rob Drunkowski, Zach Ertz and Jimmy Graham were ALL 2nd round picks.

This was an article on NFL.com in 2012 ranking the top 1st round TE selections of the previous decade.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82860152/article/best-firstround-tight-ends-of-the-last-decade

Vernon Davis, 49ers (No. 6, 2006)
Dallas Clark, Colts (No. 24, 2003)
Heath Miller, Steelers (No. 30, 2005)
Kellen Winslow, Browns (No. 6. 2004)
Brandon Pettigrew, Lions (No. 20, 2009)
Jeremy Shockey, Giants (No. 14, 2002)
Dustin Keller, Jets (No. 30, 2008)
Marcedes Lewis, Jaguars (No. 28, 2006)
Jermaine Gresham, Bengals (No. 21, 2010)
Daniel Graham, Patriots (No. 21, 2002)
Greg Olsen, Bears (No. 31, 2007)
Ben Watson, Patriots (No. 32, 2004)
Jerramy Stevens, (No. 28, 2002)

He ranked them in this order so it wasn't just a random order. Greg Olsen was the best player on that list.

People gotta understand that tight ends do not just play one way

If you ask gesicki to come in and play like Jason Witten or dion sims he’s gonna suck ass

If you let him be a go up and get it target and you scheme some one on one reach balls for him he’s gonna light up the league. He has the most potential I’ve seen in awhile to Be a unstoppable force in the red zone

No I’m not over reacting to his combine numbers I’m here in big ten country And have watched him from the get.. he’s got game

Hurst and Andrews games differ from each other too.. imo if there’s one of the top guys that can step into gases offense the way he has used tes the last two years it’s dream scenario goedart and later round target conklin

Gesicki's 41" vertical is the elephant in the room. Nobody's talking about him, they're all poker faced...He won't last past round 1, IMO.

Even Walterfootball has us taking the first TE in the second round...Hayden Hurst? My ***!!!

If Edmunds is off the board by 11, I'd drop as many times as I could right before the Saints and draft Gesicki mid to late first.
That vertical with that length and wide enough to box out ... drool-worthy red zone threat and 3rd and long target. 4.55 forty with those things, awesome seam threat. This has to be the guy Gase wants after what he was able to do with a young Julius Thomas and the other big bodied speed threats he has had.

IF he decides to go the football route, someone I'd love to sign as a FA (or maybe 7th round) coming up is Justin Johnson of WKU. You can see him tomorrow night on ESPN in the semifinals of the NIT vs. Utah.

The guy is about as big as Gronk at his basketball playing weight. When he joined the football team last Fall he was 30 pds. heavier. He was going to play TE but tweaked his knee, nothing major, and stopped playing to get ready again for basketball. As I said, he would be bigger than Gronk, faster, more athletic and probably stronger. He's also very smart and a very hard worker. If he decides to play pro football and not play pro basketball overseas or somewhere, I firmly believe he'll make it.

And as a point of reference, he played one season of basketball with George Fant at WKU. Fant also went the football route and became the starting left tackle for the Seahawks a couple of years ago despite not having played football in years.

Here's a short video of Justin.

With TEs you usually have just one on the field at a time. Like RBs. I think thats why they dont go as high most other positions that you need at least 3 or 4 players as part of your rotation.

I dont think many teams would ever invest a lot in a 2nd TE.
Still it worked in New England until one decided to commit murder one

The Dolphins has a TE they just need to call plays for them, Tannehill is not a good ball placement QB, meaning he needs practice at throwing into route windows that takes time to develop, hence, Brady and Gronk, Brady knows where Gronk is at all times, the Dolphins really don't intergrate the TE's as part of their strategy.

I think there are several solid te prospects in the draft. Maybe not the Jimmy Graham blow your socks off type, but players that can turn into Cameron Brate types Even played like Matt Flanagan who could go in the 7th or be an udfa could make an NFL roster and help a team. Flanagan at 6'5 260 is not flashy, but steady and a good blocker.

Back
Top Bottom