Letting Bush walk: Doesn't mean we need to acquire another RB, smart business move | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Letting Bush walk: Doesn't mean we need to acquire another RB, smart business move

dannysc305

Active Roster
Reaction score
Some of you guys are going to have to come to grips with the fact the we are not going re-sign Reggie Bush. Ireland spent a 2nd and a 4th on Daniel and Lamar while Reggie was here, and moved up both times to do so. He's going to want to see those picks pay dividends. We're going to save a good chunk of money letting Reggie walk, and I have absolutely no problem with it. We can use that money on some big strong lineman that can open up lanes for our homegrown Miami product Lamar Miller, who's been here all of his life. Born and raised in Miami, went to Miami Killian Senior High School, University of Miami, and now the Miami Dolphins. He worked very hard to get where he is and the Dolphins are going to give the hometown guy an opportunity. If Lamar gets the carries Reggie got or more, he can give you Reggie's production. I'm telling you guys, Lamar Miller runs with decisiveness and can hit a hole. Watch what he did at the U. All he ever did was rip off long gains. He takes the handoff, finds the hole, cuts into it with amazing burst and acceleration, and once he's at the 2nd level he's gone with 4.37 speed. He average a good YPG last year while he was used sparingly and was still trying to get acclimated with the speed of the NFL game. Now that he has some experience he's ready to take over.

Just cause Reggie is leaving doesn't mean we need to draft or sign another back. We already have 2 competent runningbacks on our roster that know how to hit holes going north and south and can consistently gain positive yardage on every run, instead of dancing in the backfield every down. I'd rather have a back that can give me 5 yards on each carry instead of a back whose 5 carries go for gains of 0,1,1,1,0, and then the occasional 10+ yard run. I feel you guys are really downplaying what Miller brings to the table, he is everything reggie is, and probably better. Just as fast or faster, just as strong or stronger, shifty, elusive, without the durability and carrying concerns. Reminds me of LeSean McCoy. Starting Miller, and then having the rumbling,bumbling,stumbling...hopefully no longer fumbling...big tough bruising downhill runner in Daniel Thomas to spell him...is a great 1-2 punch for a great price. Talk about getting a bang for your buck.

Philbin's system doesn't require that expensive feature back people think it does. We are going to make the transition to a pass first offense this season once we get Ryan Tannehill some legitimate targets. If you remember, Philbin wanted to do that last year, but then he said he wasn't naive to the fact that the team wasn't built type of offense at the time and he made the adjustment to make us more of a running/playaction team to fit the roster better. We already have good backs that we moved up in the draft for, we're going to save money, and we're going to use it on more important things like a pass rusher, DB, recieving target whether it be WR or TE, an OL, something. But definitely not a runningback. That's all, folks.

So let's see... not only does Philbin's offense not require the #1 back (and apparently a #1 WR, or a #1 TE, or a #1 QB... what other excuses are we going to hear from that?) but you're sitting there trying to sell me on Daniel Thomas.

Mr Fumbles
Mr Injury
Mr Upright running.

Okay yeah you've sold me, I'm entirely comfortable with a guy who has NEVER proven healthy at the NFL level

I feel like we've all came to this same conclusion a while back. Thanks for the reminder....i guess.

Dont forget Jonas Gray too. I think this guy will be a factor in the years to come. Miller needs to improve his blocking significantly because in our offense, how well you block is equally as important.

So let's see... not only does Philbin's offense not require the #1 back (and apparently a #1 WR, or a #1 TE, or a #1 QB... what other excuses are we going to hear from that?) but you're sitting there trying to sell me on Daniel Thomas.

Mr Fumbles
Mr Injury
Mr Upright running.

Okay yeah you've sold me, I'm entirely comfortable with a guy who has NEVER proven healthy at the NFL level

Actually I'm trying to sell Lamar Miller. Mr Fumbles Injury Upright Running will continue to be a back up, a role that fits him quite nicely.

About Philbin offense, yeah it doesn't really need a feature back, a AP, CJ2K, MJD, Foster tyoe of back. A cheap, talented, serviceable Lamar Miller will do just fine in this system. Philbins offense won a SB with who at RB? Exactly. We aren't going to be a running team anyways, so it's not that serious.

I'm pretty sure the Dolphins will look at acquiring a significant tailback either in free agency or in the Draft.

In fact I know that they're investigating some high caliber ones.

I feel like we've all came to this same conclusion a while back. Thanks for the reminder....i guess.

Really? Then why do I still se everybody clamoring to resign Reggie? Some people sound like there's no hope at RB if we don't re-sign Bush, and we're gonna have to sign/draft one. Reason why I made this thread.

I'm pretty sure the Dolphins will look at acquiring a significant tailback either in free agency or in the Draft.

In fact I know that they're investigating some high caliber ones.

That would be dumb. They really don't need to. They used a 5th and a 7th to move up for Thomas, and two 6ths to move up for Miller. Jesus Christ, how much more are they going to invest into RBs? With all the positions this roster needs I don't see us wasting anything of value on another back, I don't care if you're some kind of insider or not.

Christine Michael would be an obvious possibility coming out of Texas A&M. He found himself in Kevin Sumlin's doghouse, but Mike Sherman and staff seemed to love him.

But keep an eye on Mike Goodson in free agency. Another Texas A&M tailback that Sherman coached. He's got some nice looking plays in the NFL.

Daniel Thomas is good as a pass blocker on passing downs, but he is not a very good running back with the ball in his hands.

He can't lower his pad level enough and is 'soft' in terms of rushes between the tackles. He has limited vision in his runs and should be replaced.

Look for Miami to let Bush go and roll into TC with Miller, Thomas, Gray, Thigpen and maybe a rookie and/or a veteran bruiser back.

Peyton Hillis is a Free Agent and could fill in nicely in Thomas' role.

That would be dumb. They really don't need to. They used a 5th and a 7th to move up for Thomas, and two 6ths to move up for Miller. Jesus Christ, how much more are they going to invest into RBs? With all the positions this roster needs I don't see us wasting anything of value on another back, I don't care if you're some kind of insider or not.

First off, investing a low 2nd round pick and a high 4th round pick in the RB position is not exactly overkill.

Second, it doesn't matter because Daniel Thomas is a bust. You don't get yardage awarded to you by the referees on Sunday because he was drafted high. When the referees call the ball down short of the goal line you don't get to throw the challenge flag and point out that you paid an extra 5th and 7th for Thomas so we should be awarded that touchdown.

What has Daniel Thomas done in this League? Not a damn thing. He's always injured and fumbles a lot. I have no faith in him. And for that matter, what has Lamar Miller done. Reggie Bush is a proven commodity, Thomas and Miller aren't.

Back
Top Bottom