Letting Bush walk: Doesn't mean we need to acquire another RB, smart business move | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Letting Bush walk: Doesn't mean we need to acquire another RB, smart business move

All I'm going to say is Lamar Miller will take the league by storm a la CJ spiller and whether you believe it or not is your decision

That's heavy lifting. Too often these proclamations are thrown out there without concept of the burden attached. It's probably 15/1 or 20/1 odds against Lamar Miller matching C.J. Spiller's career, when both are finished. Spiller has banked nearly 400 carries at 5.4 average. And in all types of scenarios, unlike Miller, who was basically a first down type this season.

Lamar Miller has plenty of strengths but it's true he's not a natural blocker or pass receiver. I certainly never saw him nearly break a defender's ankle on a long wheel route, like C.J. Spiller down the left sideline against Sean Spence in 2009. Spiller has been a terror on those types of plays for years. Miller struggles to take the proper angle and to locate the ball.

It's supposed to be that way. Spiller was a star early in college, averaging more than 7 yards per carry as a freshman. Then he went on to be a premier pick, and one that was long seen coming, not a fast rising overreaction like Ronnie Brown. Lamar Miller redshirted as a freshman then turned into a 4th round pick.

It's possible that a 4th rounder will equal or surpass a lottery pick, but you'll fail far more often than not. I like hyperbole to be on my side. BTW, I think I predicted Phil Mickelson would lip out for 60 today. If not I can always manage a late edit.

Strange because it was actually the opposite. If I wanted shameless self-promotion I'd quote all the things he brought up. I guess I view twitter and the concept of twitter followers differently. Trivial, almost comedic. Like a sitcom one-liner.

I don't do twitter nor do I want to but if for some reason I do open a twitter account it would be for the sole propose of tweeting all the places in the world that I happened to take a ****.

Oddly enough when in a drunken state and pitching the idea to friends it was received with better response than Jeff Ireland at an after draft party in Miami.

I'm pretty sure the Dolphins will look at acquiring a significant tailback either in free agency or in the Draft.

In fact I know that they're investigating some high caliber ones.

MJD come on down..

...but back to reality. I think that the idea is to get our offense to a point where running backs are interchangeable, which means your big men are doing their jobs.

Daniel Thomas is good as a pass blocker on passing downs, but he is not a very good running back with the ball in his hands.

He can't lower his pad level enough and is 'soft' in terms of rushes between the tackles. He has limited vision in his runs and should be replaced.

Look for Miami to let Bush go and roll into TC with Miller, Thomas, Gray, Thigpen and maybe a rookie and/or a veteran bruiser back.

Peyton Hillis is a Free Agent and could fill in nicely in Thomas' role.

Actually, Thomas isn't really very good at pass blocking either. Dude got beat a lot. Replacing him with Hillis could be a good option.

How about Marcus Lattimore (South Carolina) in Fifth if still there?

What has Daniel Thomas done in this League? Not a damn thing. He's always injured and fumbles a lot. I have no faith in him. And for that matter, what has Lamar Miller done. Reggie Bush is a proven commodity, Thomas and Miller aren't.
I agree, he IS a proven commodity. He has proven he is a drive killer that can't accept coaching and will limit any NFL team he is on. He refuses to take the yards on the field while trying for the 50 yarder every play. Our RB position gets remarkably better just by giving him the boot. If Reggie wasn't on this team this year we would have made the playoffs.

I think he was "selling" you on Lamar. Might wanna re-read the post. I agree, Lamar is the back we need. This is not dancing with the stars, it is football.

So let's see... not only does Philbin's offense not require the #1 back (and apparently a #1 WR, or a #1 TE, or a #1 QB... what other excuses are we going to hear from that?) but you're sitting there trying to sell me on Daniel Thomas.

Mr Fumbles
Mr Injury
Mr Upright running.

Okay yeah you've sold me, I'm entirely comfortable with a guy who has NEVER proven healthy at the NFL level

We need more than just Lamar Miller and DT. I'm with people on Miller's potential, but the fact is he wasn't good enough to get more than 50 carries last season. He hasn't done anything in the NFL. To call him a feature back at this point is a stretch (though I do think it'll happen, there simply isn't enough evidence to go into the season with him alone). He has never been a 3rd down or goalline back even in college. Daniel Thomas, on almost any other team, would not see the field much.

We have a young QB who still needs lots of work, a crappy passing game, and a generally crappy offense. We need to run the ball effectively to make Tanny's life easier, and can't cut corners to make the run game happen (we need depth).

after watching him play, im convinced that Miller can be an excellent #1 RB. the problem is we need Thomas to assume the complementary goalline bruiser like Michael Bush, Brandon Jacobs, etc. i dont think he is capable, but im reluctantly willing to let it roll one more season unless someone special slips late in the draft ie. Lattimore.

This team will sign a couple of free agents to fill in holes but will build through the draft exclusively. Ireland will draft players that fit the WCO system and will have help from Philbin and Sherman to identify those players.

I think we can resign Reggie for a veteran back price without getting hurt. He's good for the Dolphins stability and gives other backs time to mature. I don't love him...but if his price is right, keep him.

Back
Top Bottom