Long just ran a 4.71 | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Long just ran a 4.71

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I didn't think any of his combine stats were overly impressive. Nothing to make you say definitively that he is the first pick. Picking Long wouldn't upset me at all, I am NOT anti Chris Long. I just thought it was funny that relatively mundane stats prompted people to proclaim him a god. I'd just assume they take of the homer glasses and support whomever we pick instead of Chris Long or Bust.

Mundane stats?

3rd in the vert, 1st in the 20 yd, 7th in the 40 yd, 2nd in the broad jump, 4th in the 3 cone. Arguably the best all around day of any DE there (better than Gaines Adams last year), while carrying more weight than most participating. All this from a guy whose athleticism wasn't even touted as one of his strongest points.

Wow, you just killed your Gholston argument. It doesn't matter who we pick just as long as they're from The Ohio State University.
Im a Miami Dolphin fan not a Ohio State fan and further more i new thats where you were going, and whoever said I wanted us to select gholston ? Im just saying whats the point of picking Long #1 if he's no better than Gholston? I actually Like Glenn Dorsey.

Mundane stats?

3rd in the vert, 1st in the 20 yd, 7th in the 40 yd, 2nd in the broad jump, 4th in the 3 cone. Arguably the best all around day of any DE there (better than Gaines Adams last year), while carrying more weight than most participating. All this from a guy whose athleticism wasn't even touted as one of his strongest points.

You've proved my point for me. That is a good day at the combine, not an immortal day. You, yourself even said "arguably the best day." If he was first across the board than maybe then you could label him with the golden child.

The combine really doesn't matter, it's all about if he can play both DE and OLB. How are his hips and breaks? Doesn he understand angles? Can he handle both zone and man coverage? That will be answered on his pro day or personal work outs, not in indy.

You've proved my point for me. That is a good day at the combine, not an immortal day. You, yourself even said "arguably the best day." If he was first across the board than maybe then you could label him with the golden child.

The combine really doesn't matter, it's all about if he can play both DE and OLB. How are his hips and breaks? Doesn he understand angles? Can he handle both zone and man coverage? That will be answered on his pro day or personal work outs, not in indy.

No, I proved my point (yours, if you'll recall, was that he was turtlesque): that Chris Long's supposed weakness, his athleticism, is actually quite stellar. If Al Groh thinks Chris Long is the best player he's coached not named LT, something tells me that's going to carry a little weight with his mentor, Parcells.

Im a Miami Dolphin fan not a Ohio State fan and further more i new thats where you were going, and whoever said I wanted us to select gholston ? Im just saying whats the point of picking Long #1 if he's no better than Gholston? I actually Like Glenn Dorsey.

Gholston is not much better than Long athletically according to the comine, but Long was better in the position drills

No, I proved my point (yours, if you'll recall, was that he was turtlesque): that Chris Long's supposed weakness, his athleticism, is actually quite stellar. If Al Groh thinks Chris Long is the best player he's coached not named LT, something tells me that's going to carry a little weight with his mentor, Parcells.

No my point was that is was dumb to start a thread based upon a 4.71 40 solidifying Long and the first pick. He put up good numbers, but they're not eye gouging. Also, it's really not anything we really didn't know.

Parcells may listen to Groh, but at the end of the day the mentor takes his own accord rather than the mentee's. If Parcells drafts Long it will not be due to anything al Groh has said.

If we pick up Calvin Pace or Clark Haggans in free agency, OLB will not be the pick with our first. Plus when you see players like Bruce Davis, Jeremy Thompson, Cliff Avril, Bryan Kehl available in later rounds I'm not sure the position gets addressed regardless of whether we are successful at getting a FA OLB

If Parcells drafts Long it will not be due to anything al Groh has said.

Groh's input will certainly be a factor. Will Parcells draft C. Long simply because his trusted friend says he's the best since LT? Of course not, but it will carry some weight in the evaluation. Let's say Parcells/Ireland grade C. Long and another player (Gholston, J. Long, Ryan, Dorsey, Ellis, etc) equally... what do you suppose the tie breaker would be?

Groh's input will certainly be a factor. Will Parcells draft C. Long simply because his trusted friend says he's the best since LT? Of course not, but it will carry some weight in the evaluation. Let's say Parcells/Ireland grade C. Long and another player (Gholston, J. Long, Ryan, Dorsey, Ellis, etc) equally... what do you suppose the tie breaker would be?
coin flip?:foundout:

Back
Top Bottom