Lot of Coaching Jobs Open | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lot of Coaching Jobs Open

ChambersWI

Going Ghost
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
even with Lane Kiffen going to the Vols, and the questionable decision of KSU bringing Snyder out of retirement, there are still some very interesting coaching jobs open.

Washington
Syracuse
Clemson
Mississippi State
Toledo
Bowling Green
Miami Ohio
San Diego State
New Mexico
Eastern Michigan
Utah State
Wyoming
with Notre Dame and Auburn being potential job openings

just thought this would be an interesting discussion.

Sounds like Dabo Swinney as earned the chance to be the Clemson HC next year. This situation looks eerily similar to Bill Stewart with WVU (whom most think is in way over his head now that Pat White is gone), but Swinney is a firey motivator that got his team bowl eligible. If he doesn't get the job, he'll get a look elsewhere.

The talk out of Washington is they really wanted Lane Kiffen. Now it sounds like they will look towards two Washington alum; Mizzou HC Gary Pinkel or OC Dave Christensen. Pinkel seems like a pipe dream since he built one program from the ground up in Mizzou so this is not a step up. Some Huskie fans think they can get some top notch NON BSC coaches to come to Washington; such as Chris Peterson and Kyle Whittingham. IMO neither will leave their current schools unless they are going to a program that doesn't need rebuilding. IMO the two names to watch are USC OC Steve Sarkisian; who has been the QB coach for Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, JD Booty, and Mark Sanchez while being the OC the past 2 years as well and DeWayne Walker; the UCLA DC.

It is in Syracuse's best interest to hire a coach that knows the Northeast. That is why the two leading candidates are Buffalo HC Turner Gill and Illinois OC Mike Lockesly. Lockesly is a DC native that is responsible for the Illini getting Juice Williams, Vontae Davis, and Arrelious Benn. While Syracuse isn't close to DC, it is one of their pipelines. Turner has spent the last 3 years literally building the Buffalo football program. He can rebuild the Orange.

Rocky Long surprised New Mexico resigning when he felt he couldn't take the program any higher. The AD has vowed to make a splash in getting a top notch replacement. A fairly attractive job for first time HCs, but I don't see the Lobos getting any big name coaches, but they might get a top notch assistant. (Like a Sonny Dykes)

Lloyd Carr was hired by Eastern Michigan to help them find the right man for a very difficult job. Unless you are Michigan or Michigan State, it is unwise to hire a coach that doesn't know the state. That is why the leading candidates for this job are Michigan RB coach Fred Jackson, Louisville DC and former Michigan DC Ron English, Michigan State DC Pat Narduzzi, and Grand Valley State HC Chuck Martin. Of those guys the least likly IMO is Jackson as his son Jeremy(who is a senior in 2010) as committed to play for the Wolverines.

Toledo pretty much has the same candidates as EMU (same general area) with some Ohio State assistants thrown in, and the surprising candidate of Mark Stoops (Arizona DC and brother of Mike and Bob)

Come to think of it... any of the MAC schools that are looking for coaches (including Bowling Green and Miami) will look at Big 10 assistants; mainly from Michigan or Ohio State because they recruit the same areas.

San Diego State is an attractive job as they have been an underachieving program in recent years despite having a decent talent level having several players drafted in recent years (Kirk Morrison, Mike McCoy, Marviel Underwood, Freddy Keiaho, Kevin O'Connol) and is the alma mater of Marshal Faulk. The Aztecs could definatly get a big time coach.

Watching Auburn, I can see them making a change after the season. Outside of Ronnie's senior year where they had him,Caddy, Campbell, and McNeil on offense, the Tigers have been somewhat underachievers under Tommy T. If they do make a change, it is uncertain who would become HC.

Another guy to watch out for in any of the smaller jobs (and maybe Miss State) is Major Applewhite.

Despite what Joe has been saying, I think Penn State may be in the head coaching market after the Rose Bowl. However, it may be an inside coaching hire (Tom Bradley).

Despite what Joe has been saying, I think Penn State may be in the head coaching market after the Rose Bowl. However, it may be an inside coaching hire (Tom Bradley).

maybe... It just sounds like Bradley isn't too good with the boosters. A lot of people want LJ Sr. to be the next PSU coach because of his recruiting ability, but he's only a position coach now so that is a big jump for him.

Though the rumors are still floating that the boosters want Al Golden or Greg Schiano

another rumor. Steve Kragthorpe of Louisville was reportedly told that if he dind't beat Rutgers he would be out of a job.

Sounds like Pat Hill will be the next Washington coach.

Good hire for them if it's true.

maybe, maybe not. Washington fans are not happy about that potential hire. He has somewhat underachieved with some pretty talented teams in recent years, but he does know the area.

Auburn will be open

Not sure about ND......

I wonder if Butch Davis would leave UNC to go to Auburn.

I heard on ESPN todaty that Notre Dame had been in contact with Urban Meyer about the HC position. Meyer has let it be well known that Notre Dame is his dream job.

ND won't hire Brian Kelly IMO because of character concerns. There's a guy who spent most of his coaching career in the state of Michigan and both top schools in Michigan passed over him because of his shady character. After the O'Leary fiasco I don't see ND going with him.

I also can't see Urban Myer going to ND because he had that chance a couple years ago, and decided to go to Florida. He's got a good thing there.

I have heard that ND is looking at Pat Fitzgerald.

Mike Bellotti is supposedly resigning as Oregon HC to become the AD. Chip Kelly will be promoted to HC

Utah State names the Utah DC as their new coach. Not surprising as they want somebody that knows the state...

Toledo named Tim Beckam, the Okie State DC, HC. A bit puzzling hiring somebody not from the midwest.

Pat Hill and Mike Leach removed their names from the Washington HC search (1 day after Brian Kelly turned down the job). The Huskies will likely hire a top assistant from a West Coast team, leading candidates are Steve Sarkisian and Dwyane Walker.

Looks like Glenn Mason is headed to SDSU

Haha...I was just going to post that Leach and Hill both pulled their names out of consideration.

I've heard Dennis Green to SDSU too. Who knows.

Back
Top Bottom