Lot of Coaching Jobs Open | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lot of Coaching Jobs Open

Ron English is the new Eastern Michigan coach. Not surprising as Lloyd Carr was hired by EMU to find the new coach, and all of the finalists were former Carr assistants at one point. English is a good young coach that was great his 2 years at Michigan (couldn't defend against the spread, and the secondary outside of Leon Hall sucked, but that's been Michigan way before he became DC), and he did a good job in Louisville. English is well respected by his players, and is a great recruiter who has deep ties to Cali (stealing a really good CB in Donovan Warren from USC). He actually almost became the Michigan HC before Rodriguez was hired due to how much he was liked, but he was (and IMO still isn't) ready for that big of a job. He's proven himself as a DC, but he's only been a DC for 3 years.

Now EMU is an extremely tough place to win because it is so close to Ann Arbor and East Lansing (where as WMU and CMU are not as close), but to get a guy like English who is so well liked in the state, and so respected nationally, it is the right hire.

That was a GREAT hire for EMU. I'm so happy that Ron English is getting his chance to be in charge of his own program. He's going to be the next positive "Turner Gill" type of story in college football.

Notre Dame OC Mike Haywood was named the Miami OH head coach. While his offense struggled this year at ND (though that can also be attributed to Charlie Weiss's ego and horrible OL recruiting), he was in charge of recruiting at Texas for awhile after Tim Brewster left and is credited with Cedric Benson's development at Texas.

Not a bad place to start your HC career, the MAC is a competitive conference that is easy to turn teams around as Miami,Toledo,Ball State, Buffalo,Bowling Green,Akron, Marshall, Northern Illinois, Ohio, Central Michigan, and Western Michigan have all played for the MAC title since 2000. He and Ron English are both good recruiters/coaches that can turn their programs around.

There are now 6 African American coaches in D-1

That was a GREAT hire for EMU. I'm so happy that Ron English is getting his chance to be in charge of his own program. He's going to be the next positive "Turner Gill" type of story in college football.

Yep, English left for EMU and we're still stuck with Kragthorpe because the AD, Tom Jurich, believes he's a winner. The guy has been a disaster so far. Forget the horrible play on the field, the guy can't recruit to save his life. The University of Kentucky is now the #1 recruiting school in Jefferson County (where the city of Louisville is located), an area that U of L once controlled under Petrino. Louisville Central won the class 4A high school state championship this year and has 3 or 4 legit D1 players on it. One is their leading LB that is a 6'5" 225 junior tackling machine. Louisville hasn't even offered him. He says he hasn't heard from anyone on their staff. That alone should get you fired. It seems the staff has forgotten about the locals and its a shame.

Now English in gone and the defense very likely could go back to being a complete dumpster fire again. Next season is going to be a long one.

Yep, English left for EMU and we're still stuck with Kragthorpe because the AD, Tom Jurich, believes he's a winner. The guy has been a disaster so far. Forget the horrible play on the field, the guy can't recruit to save his life. The University of Kentucky is now the #1 recruiting school in Jefferson County (where the city of Louisville is located), an area that U of L once controlled under Petrino. Louisville Central won the class 4A high school state championship this year and has 3 or 4 legit D1 players on it. One is their leading LB that is a 6'5" 225 junior tackling machine. Louisville hasn't even offered him. He says he hasn't heard from anyone on their staff. That alone should get you fired. It seems the staff has forgotten about the locals and its a shame.

Now English in gone and the defense very likely could go back to being a complete dumpster fire again. Next season is going to be a long one.

from what I hear, English was out no matter what because he hated how Kragthorpe ran the football program. Insiders from Michigan have reported if he did not get the EMU job, English was gonna come back and be DC for the Wolverines.

from what I hear, English was out no matter what because he hated how Kragthorpe ran the football program. Insiders from Michigan have reported if he did not get the EMU job, English was gonna come back and be DC for the Wolverines.

That sounds about right. There was some sideline tension between the 2 early in year. We got a couple of substitution penalties because Kragthorpe runs a somewhat unorganized sideline. A couple of players ran on the field for substitions that we're supposed to and English started screaming at Kragthorpe.

Here's an interesting article from today's Louisville paper:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20081226/COLUMNISTS02/812260490&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

The article mentions our success came with the local players that we recruited. Except now Kragthorpe isn't really recruiting the state of Kentucky anymore. I know KY isn't a football hotbed like FL, TX, or OH, but we do produce 3 or 4 top notch BCS program caliber starters and a few dozen BCS caliber role players a year. We no longer control recruiting in the state. That is thanks to Kragthorpe and his "connections" in Texas. The program used to have good connections in the south but those are starting to dry up as well. I fear this program isn't going to be turned around any time soon. At least not until Jurich finally passes the point of no return and pulls the plug on the Kragthorpe era. I don't see that happening for at least another 2 or 3 years.:shakeno:

As of right now U of L has 15 or so commitments.

3 are junior college recruits
None are over 3 star recruits
6 are not ranked
0 offensive line recruits
12 are defensive recruits (likely English recruits), hopefully they won't decommit since he left for EMU.

We recently had a good dual threat QB verbal, then decommit a week later to go to New Mexico. NEW MEXICO!

Simply outstanding.

Army gets Cal Poly's coach Ellerson, considered one of the top coaches at running the triple option.

He's done a hell of a job with CP, maybe it'll translate to Army, maybe it won't.

Like the hire.

Army gets Cal Poly's coach Ellerson, considered one of the top coaches at running the triple option.

He's done a hell of a job with CP, maybe it'll translate to Army, maybe it won't.

Like the hire.

I don't think Army or any Service Academy for that matter can compete trying to run a basic offense. Air Force and Navy have had success running the triple-option. It seemed as if Army was reluctant to switch it up. I like the move.

while I was on my leave of absence, DeWayne Walker was named the head man at New Mexico State. Good hire for a school that needs a good defensive mind and a good recruiter. Also makes 7 African American HCs in the NCAA

Back
Top Bottom