Lot of Coaching Jobs Open | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Lot of Coaching Jobs Open

strong rumors going on right now that George O'Leary is getting the axe in UCF because of all the health problems his team has faced under his watch (and a general inconsistency). The rumor also states that Florida DC Charlie Strong could be named HC as early as Thursday.

O'Leary has done about as much as he could with the UCF program, it's time for a change in Orlando.

looks like New Orleans OC Doug Marrone will be named Syracuse HC. A bit of a let down for fans that were hoping for somebody like Turner Gill or Skip Holtz. But Marrone is a Syracuse alum, and has a lot of college coaching experience (OL and TE coach for both Georgia Tech and Tennessee). He's also fairly young at 44.

This is a bit like BC hiring Jeff Jagodzinski. They hired a guy with both NFL and college experience (Jag coached the OL for NIU,LSU, and ECU before becoming a OC at BC), and both have ties to the area (Marrone as a player, Jag as the OC).

Overall, I think it's a solid hire as Gill made it clear he did not want the Syracuse job (wants to either go to the SEC or to the Big 12), and Mike Locksley decided to go to New Mexico (and he is an excellent recruiter for the area Cuse recruits). So you take an alum that knows what is expected, and a guy who is a former OL to put toughness into a weak team.

I think Turner Gill is on Auburn's "B" list of head coaching candidates...at least for some...

Apparently the powers that be at Auburn aren't all on the same page as far as what's the best direction to go in...

Their "A" list consists of Steve Spurrier (not gonna happen), Will Muschamp (probably not gonna happen), Bobby Petrino (not gonna happen), and Houston Nutt (probably not gonna happen).

The best guy out there for Auburn right now IMO is Georgia Tech's Paul Johnson....his buyout is only $750K.

Auburn names Iowa State HC Gene Chizik their new HC. Chizik used to be the DC at Auburn during their 13-0 undefeated team.

I don't like it. Chizik was a great DC for both Auburn and Texas, but he's pretty much been a disappointment at Iowa State. It is true that Iowa State is probably the hardest place to win at of any Big 12 schools (poor facilities, and a pretty ugly stadium), but if you're Auburn, you'd think that you'd hire a coach that has at least had some success at their previous stop.

The pluses are that he does know the area, is a very good defensive mind, and he is a solid recruiter.

Auburn names Iowa State HC Gene Chizik their new HC. Chizik used to be the DC at Auburn during their 13-0 undefeated team.

I don't like it. Chizik was a great DC for both Auburn and Texas, but he's pretty much been a disappointment at Iowa State. It is true that Iowa State is probably the hardest place to win at of any Big 12 schools (poor facilities, and a pretty ugly stadium), but if you're Auburn, you'd think that you'd hire a coach that has at least had some success at their previous stop.

The pluses are that he does know the area, is a very good defensive mind, and he is a solid recruiter.

Us bammers haven't stopped laughing yet.

Us bammers haven't stopped laughing yet.

and us fans of non-SEC schools are shaking our heads at the hire. Not even saying Turner Gill should've been the choice, but this is a guy that has 5 wins in 2 years as a HC. There are so many better choices. At the same time, ISU only has 2 9 win seasons ever so it's not exactly an easy place to coach

I will say that I've already heard that Turner Gill is interested in ISU because he wants to coach in either the Big 12 or the SEC

Last edited by a moderator:
Brady Hoke is reportedly going to San Diego State. Ok.... I don't understand this for Hoke. SDSU is kind of a lateral move and he has no connections to the West Coast.

and us fans of non-SEX schools are shaking our heads at the hire. Not even saying Turner Gill should've been the choice, but this is a guy that has 5 wins in 2 years as a HC. There are so many better choices. At the same time, ISU only has 2 9 win seasons ever so it's not exactly an easy place to coach

I will say that I've already heard that Turner Gill is interested in ISU because he wants to coach in either the Big 12 or the SEC

Check your post...NON-SEX????? Was that a Fruadian slip or a joke or
hopefully a typo.

Auburn didn't have to hire Turner Gill. Yet I don't think they can justify hiring a guy with a 5-19 record as a head coach. He's gotta have success instantly or else the fans will cruficy him.

The hiring of Chizik is a joke and a disgrace. It just shows that the "good ol' Southern Plantation owner" mentality of some of the Auburn boosters still have in this day and age. I hope Chizik falls flat on his face.

pretty much every network has been making fun of Auburn. The issue shouldn't be about Gill though. I read a premium article on Rivals, Gill did not was hesitant about Auburn because Alabama is precieved as a racist state. But any of the candidates they hired would've been better, even Patrick Nix.

Big Deal...I'm a Bama grad and could care less about Auburn,and the Chizik hire is
terrible.But he does know the SEC better than Gill,recruiting wise.I think in time
Gil will be a great coach.I don't think he is ready for the SEC.Chizik will be gone in two years.If Gill had gotten the Auburn job,because he was "black",there is no talent
there right now and they would have fired him in two years,ending a promising
career.It's not just Auburn...why hasn't any other big schools,that were open hired Gill?Miss St,Clemson and so forth?I think Gill needs to take a job at a middle tier school and work his way up.Like Paul Johnson did.
Auburn hired a dipstick,but I think inexperiance in the SEC,not race had more to do with it than anything.

Big Deal...I'm a Bama grad and could care less about Auburn,and the Chizik hire is
terrible.But he does know the SEC better than Gill,recruiting wise.I think in time
Gil will be a great coach.I don't think he is ready for the SEC.Chizik will be gone in two years.If Gill had gotten the Auburn job,because he was "black",there is no talent
there right now and they would have fired him in two years,ending a promising
career.It's not just Auburn...why hasn't any other big schools,that were open hired Gill?Miss St,Clemson and so forth?I think Gill needs to take a job at a middle tier school and work his way up.Like Paul Johnson did.
Auburn hired a dipstick,but I think inexperiance in the SEC,not race had more to do with it than anything.

I don't think anybody believes he should've gotten the job because he's black. Clemson stuck with their interim coach so I don't think that was a viable option. Syracuse seemed to be the perfect fit for both.

Timing is everything if Tuberville is let go last season he's the coach at A&M right now. If the Nebraska job is open this year then Gill's got a much greater chance to get it. Coaches have to be smart and not to take a job just to take it. Or they're bound to fail.

IMO the Chizik hire gives Auburn a built in excuse to get rid of him when somebody they really want becomes available.

I'm not saying guys should be hired because of race. Though when their is a ratio of 115/4 of white to black coaches you've gotta question the system.

Ron English is the new Eastern Michigan coach. Not surprising as Lloyd Carr was hired by EMU to find the new coach, and all of the finalists were former Carr assistants at one point. English is a good young coach that was great his 2 years at Michigan (couldn't defend against the spread, and the secondary outside of Leon Hall sucked, but that's been Michigan way before he became DC), and he did a good job in Louisville. English is well respected by his players, and is a great recruiter who has deep ties to Cali (stealing a really good CB in Donovan Warren from USC). He actually almost became the Michigan HC before Rodriguez was hired due to how much he was liked, but he was (and IMO still isn't) ready for that big of a job. He's proven himself as a DC, but he's only been a DC for 3 years.

Now EMU is an extremely tough place to win because it is so close to Ann Arbor and East Lansing (where as WMU and CMU are not as close), but to get a guy like English who is so well liked in the state, and so respected nationally, it is the right hire.

Back
Top Bottom