Matt Ryan Pro-day | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Ryan Pro-day

I agree that Ryan is a good prospect and may very well be a franchise quarterback for years to come, but the same can be said about Henne or Flacco... or heck, even Beck, because at this point... no-one knows!

Here's the thing... if we have him ranked on par with or slightly above other QB's (Flacco, Henne, etc) ... and we also have him ranked similar in terms of BPA along with Long, Long, and Gholston... I think we'd be stupid NOT to trade down with Atlanta if we can manage to pick up a player from BOTH of those lists... IE, we trade to Atlanta at #1 and take Long(s) or Gholston, and get a high 2nd that allows us to pick up Henne or Flacco. In that scenario, we get BPA on par with him AND a QB on par with him... :up:

To me it comes down to this...

Is Matt Ryan > (Long, Long, Gholston) + (Henne, Flacco, or BPA in RD2) ????

I don't think anyone can answer that, but I'd LOVE to GREATLY improve our Defense or O-Line AND bring in a ? mark at QB as opposed to just bringing in a ? at QB... plus, I imagine we'd get a 6th or so thrown in... and hey, you never know what you might find there.

I agree that Ryan is a good prospect and may very well be a franchise quarterback for years to come, but the same can be said about Henne or Flacco... or heck, even Beck.

Here's the thing... if we have him ranked on par with or slightly above other QB's (Flacco, Henne, etc) ... and we also have him ranked similar in terms of BPA along with Long, Long, and Gholston... I think we'd be stupid NOT to trade if we can manage to pick up a player from BOTH of those lists... IE, we trade to Atlanta at #1 and take Long(s) or Gholston, and get a high 2nd that allows us to pick up Henne or Flacco. In that scenario, we get BPA on par with him AND a QB on par with him... :up:

To me it comes down to this...

Is Matt Ryan > (Long, Long, Gholston) + (Henne, Flacco, or BPA in RD2) ????

I don't think anyone can answer that, but I'd LOVE to GREATLY improve our Defense or O-Line AND bring in a ? mark at QB as opposed to just bringing in a ? at QB... plus, I imagine we'd get a 6th or so thrown in... and hey, you never know what you might find there.

That makes no sense. Do we pick up an extra pick by not taking Matt Ryan?
No, we have 2 picks no matter who we take. Its not CLong/Henne vs Ryan. You have to add another player to Ryan as well. Your getting 2 people either way.

To the Speilman thing ... he was a really good scout and talent evaluator. He just couldnt call a draft or manage a FO worth a damn, getting bluffed and blustered at every turn. But the man did know talent. Hello Boldin over Moore.

As for Matt Ryan. If Ireland/Parcells thinks he is a franchise QB, we will pick him unless we are offered a bigtime trade, or they are utterly convinced someone elses QB (Beck) can be the man.
Bottom line, if you think hes a franchise QB, you take him! The Mannings, Brady, Big Ben .... THESE are the guys who win SBs. Sure you can get a Dilfer or a Grossman and make a run, but that takes a massive team effort and your winning despite QB play instead of because of it, its just not the best or preferred way to do it! Not to mention, we in NO WAY have the team to make up for a middling QB anyway.

That makes no sense. Do we pick up an extra pick by not taking Matt Ryan?
No, we have 2 picks no matter who we take. Its not CLong/Henne vs Ryan. You have to add another player to Ryan as well. Your getting 2 people either way.

To the Speilman thing ... he was a really good scout and talent evaluator. He just couldnt call a draft or manage a FO worth a damn, getting bluffed and blustered at every turn. But the man did know talent. Hello Boldin over Moore.

As for Matt Ryan. If Ireland/Parcells thinks he is a franchise QB, we will pick him unless we are offered a bigtime trade, or they are utterly convinced someone elses QB (Beck) can be the man.
Bottom line, if you think hes a franchise QB, you take him! The Mannings, Brady, Big Ben .... THESE are the guys who win SBs. Sure you can get a Dilfer or a Grossman and make a run, but that takes a massive team effort and your winning despite QB play instead of because of it, its just not the best or preferred way to do it! Not to mention, we in NO WAY have the team to make up for a middling QB anyway.

Whoops... sorry. I failed to mention this was assuming we traded to Atlanta at #3 and got a second rounder in addition... wow... you're right. that didn't make sense! But if we Trade back to #3 with Atlanta, then we'd pick up an extra pick in the 2nd and possibly another one later on that we wouldn't otherwise have.

Jay Feeley for a 2nd round pick.

Speil hit and missed a lot. Although I'd take his drafts over any of Wanny's.

If Matt Ryan becomes a franchise QB and we pass on him, this team will never hear the end of it

He will become chapter 4 in the best selling Dolphin's book, "How to say NO to a Franchise QB". Chapters 1 and 2 feature Drew Brees, with chapter 3 to feature Brady Quinn.

Matt Ryan Pro Day[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]...Matt Ryan had an impressive workout in front of a large contingent of NFL decision makers today...Ryan threw 52 passes in his workout and completed every pass but one, which was dropped by his receiver.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]YES!!!!![/FONT]

I think even those who don't wan't Ryan could have expected that. I mean Alex Smith got a standing ovation after his pro day. It doesn't really mean anything.

I think Ryan will be a decent starter in this league but he wouldn't have fared any better than Beck on our team last year. We have to put Beck in a situation where can fairly evaluate him.

I know everyone says there are no qbs in next years draft. That's rediculous. Every year one or two guys always emerge!

And if the Dolphins select him and he turns out to be another Ryan...L....we'll never hear the end of that either.
You don't need a franchise QB to win games or the Superbowl...but you need a great team around a decent QB.

Why? Because it happened once with the Ravens? are you serious? Have we all forgotten how important the QB is in football? have we been that brain washed by Wanny and Saban?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishypete
And if the Dolphins select him and he turns out to be another Ryan...L....we'll never hear the end of that either.
You don't need a franchise QB to win games or the Superbowl...but you need a great team around a decent QB.

Why? Because it happened once with the Ravens? are you serious? Have we all forgotten how important the QB is in football? have we been that brain washed by Wanny and Saban?

we need both a great team and a great QB.

I dunno if Eli will be a great QB, but do you want to go into the last 2 minutes of the big game with just a decent QB? I don't think history shows how decent QB's have dominated the playoffs.

Tony Pauline was there and he said it was a very average workout. Far too scripted and very easy passes. Lot of mixed reviews about how he actually did.

Tony Pauline was there and he said it was a very average workout. Far too scripted and very easy passes. Lot of mixed reviews about how he actually did.

Thanks.

Reminds me of the comments I heard about the Alex Smith workout a few years back.

Apparently Ryan's mobility is far better than expected and his accuracy while on the move was excellent according to NFL Network

Didn't it seem odd that the fins really only had one person there? That was David Lee QB Coach. You would think that if they were serious on taking Ryan at least Sparano and Ireland would be there. Especially since Ryan didn't throw at the combine.

Back
Top Bottom