Matt Ryan Pro-day | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Ryan Pro-day

On the other hand if he's a bust this team will take 3-5 yrs to recover.

This is part of the reason why I hope we trade out of the 1st pick. I'd rather spread the risk across multiple players, rather than putting all of our proverbial eggs in one basket. At least if we miss on one of those picks, the long term cost won't be as great to the team. And like I've asked before - is there really something that sets Matt Ryan apart from the other QBs like Brohm, Flacco, or Henne to justify us taking him as the #1 overall pick? At this point, I haven't heard or read anything that does. So I think we should take one of the other QBs with a 2nd round pick.

Yeah, no reason to be nervous. It was only what could be considered the most important couple of hours in his professional career, maybe his life.

I'm not a proponent of Ryan over Beck OR Beck over Ryan. But somewhere in the room with that young man was a person that was going to make the decision that will forever change his life. Every eye was on Ryan, and what he did on that day could make the difference in MILLIONS of dollars, his long term success, and where in this great country he might live. I think any man in his early 20's would press alittle in that situation.

first, I would think that throwing a football should come fairly natural for anyone in his position. If there is anything in the world Matt Ryan should be able to do is throw to hand-picked receivers in a pre-selected progression without screwing up. It's not like they grabbed him off the street and threw him in a gym. He most likely has been working on this performance for a few weeks with every pass and roll-out scripted to the step.
second, if this is the most important 2 hours of his career, what has he been doing for the last four years at BC? today was nothing more than a showcase that he should be not only ready for, but something he should absolutely nail. this is the icing on the cake, not the one and only chance to show what he can do.
finally, my point is, the pressure of a pro-day workout is nothing compared to what he will be facing when he finally does line up in the NFL. Although I have never been to a workout like this, I'm assuming there is no pass rush, just the QB stepping into his throws with all the time he wants. The media made him nervous? are you kidding me? With a nickname like "Matty Ice" I expect more.

What's your point? You just named 4 HOFers, 3 of whom won multiple super bowls. Of course you need a good team but it starts with the QB.

Disagree...it starts with the team...the whole team. A great QB on a lousy team can't win.

Actually, three passes were dropped, and one was overthrown. Either you're a Matt Ryan fan, or this is another smoke-screen. ;)

i was about to post this same comment until i read you posted it. Good catch

At a quick glance I counted 43 of the 82 starting Superbowl QB's are in or are locks for the Hall of Fame. Didn't speculate on Eli or Big Ben and it's a coin flip if Kenny Stabler gets in so I didn't count them.

Regardless, to say the QB is the most important factor to get to a Super Bowl is statistically not true when over half of every Superbowl QB's was or will be a HOF QB. We're the teams around them good? Of course, as no one wins alone, but without a doubt it's the most important factor in getting a team to the big game.

It's a guessing game to say Ryan is the right guy, but the bottom line is until we find a good QB, we will not be serious contenders for a Superbowl. Personally, I'm all for taking early cracks at top QB's early in the draft until we find our guy. I'll let our FO make that difficult choice.

Y would you be Shoked with Chris Long BP loves his Defensive guys

I guess because he has enough defensive guys already...there's no room for C. Long at OLB...the Dolphins already have 11 linebackers. If you add Long...where do you put him...Taylor's spot? Porter's Spot? BP loves big DE's...which Long is not. Not unless your going to trade either Taylor or Porter...can you use a player like Long or Gholston. The only place is inside...do either of them fit there? Perhaps...but what then of Crowder or Torbor? Do you use another top pick for another player you don't use every game? The defense has been set ...it's the offense's time...to get fixed.

The more I look at it, if we play the 3-4 defense and don't trade down the pick should be Jake Long.

My reasoning is pretty simple:

1) I don't believe Matt Ryan is a franchise QB.
2) I don't believe Chris Long is anything more than a decent 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE
3) Runningback isn't a need
4) Glenn Dorsey isn't a 3-4 tackle.

5) Improving the offensive line is ALWAYS a good idea.

Last year no one thought that Eli was worth a hoot...now he's a Superbowl winner...The Redskins have won with three different QB's...two that didn't have great career's...until they won the Superbowl. How long did it take Elway...until the Broncos built a team around him...something the Dolphins never did for Marino. Steve Young stunk...until he went to a great team...how did Montana do when he went to K.C.? How about the Ravens...they won with who?
Undoubtedly you need a good team. Noone said the draft stops for us if we pick Ryan. The problem is if we pass, you can probably forget about Flacco and Brohm who will probably both be drafted in the first. So we can draft another longshot (Henne is a statue with no pocket presence) and build another team who will improve us and at the same time make it almost impossible that we'll be in the position to draft a franchise QB in the future. The one benefit of stinking is you get a shot at a franchise QB. If the FO doesnt think Ryan is a franchise QB they should pass. But if they think he is, it would be criminal to pass on him

Undoubtedly you need a good team. Noone said the draft stops for us if we pick Ryan. The problem is if we pass, you can probably forget about Flacco and Brohm who will probably both be drafted in the first. So we can draft another longshot (Henne is a statue with no pocket presence) and build another team who will improve us and at the same time make it almost impossible that we'll be in the position to draft a franchise QB in the future. The one benefit of stinking is you get a shot at a franchise QB. If the FO doesnt think Ryan is a franchise QB they should pass. But if they think he is, it would be criminal to pass on him

I guess when it comes down to the point...we just don't know what they think of any body. Thats the hard part of being a fan. With most QB's taken early...the odds are 50/50...that they will make it. History has shown that you don't have to be a first round draft picked QB to be good enough to win. Just a hunch...but I believe that the Dolphins will gamble less with a QB...than risk everything on one player that could..or may not..be the answer. For all we know...we may already have our QB...or they may hope to get one early in the second round. In appx 39 days we'll find out.

first, I would think that throwing a football should come fairly natural for anyone in his position. If there is anything in the world Matt Ryan should be able to do is throw to hand-picked receivers in a pre-selected progression without screwing up. It's not like they grabbed him off the street and threw him in a gym. He most likely has been working on this performance for a few weeks with every pass and roll-out scripted to the step.
second, if this is the most important 2 hours of his career, what has he been doing for the last four years at BC? today was nothing more than a showcase that he should be not only ready for, but something he should absolutely nail. this is the icing on the cake, not the one and only chance to show what he can do.
finally, my point is, the pressure of a pro-day workout is nothing compared to what he will be facing when he finally does line up in the NFL. Although I have never been to a workout like this, I'm assuming there is no pass rush, just the QB stepping into his throws with all the time he wants. The media made him nervous? are you kidding me? With a nickname like "Matty Ice" I expect more.

The Pro day is an extended job interview, with Ryan as the only focus. Being that he is hands down the best QB in the draft, he really had no way to go but hold tight or down in the draft. I am saying that it is natural for anybody with that much riding on their performance, to be nervous. No matter how many times he scriped or practiced it.

The Pro day is an extended job interview, with Ryan as the only focus. Being that he is hands down the best QB in the draft, he really had no way to go but hold tight or down in the draft. I am saying that it is natural for anybody with that much riding on their performance, to be nervous. No matter how many times he scriped or practiced it.

I would feel a lot better about him if he was at ease and looked "in his element". if he thinks this is pressure, he will be in for a very rude awakening next fall.

A team cannot be great without a great QB.

Then what happened during the Marino Era? I think that proves you need to have a great supporting! Elway was 0 for 3 in superbowls until he had a great team around him.

Also I guess Brad Johnson and Dilfer are GREAT qbs?

Back
Top Bottom