Matt Ryan Pro-day | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Ryan Pro-day

I guess when it comes down to the point...we just don't know what they think of any body. Thats the hard part of being a fan. With most QB's taken early...the odds are 50/50...that they will make it. History has shown that you don't have to be a first round draft picked QB to be good enough to win. Just a hunch...but I believe that the Dolphins will gamble less with a QB...than risk everything on one player that could..or may not..be the answer. For all we know...we may already have our QB...or they may hope to get one early in the second round. In appx 39 days we'll find out.
38 but who's counting :up:

Then what happened during the Marino Era? I think that proves you need to have a great supporting! Elway was 0 for 3 in superbowls until he had a great team around him.

Also I guess Brad Johnson and Dilfer are GREAT qbs?
And what happened during the Fiedler era? What a waste of a great defense that was. Are we going to go down that path again? Playoffs but no SuperBowl. Because that's what a great defense and no QB gets you 9 out of 10 times unless you're lucky enough to build a Tampa or Ravens defense before everyone splits through free agency

A team cannot be great without a great QB.

In 2007 Chicago made it to the Super Bowl with who at QB???
In 2003 the Super Bowl QB's were Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson...
In 2001 the Super Bowl Qb's were Trent Dilfer and Kerry Collins...

I don't consider ANY of the above QB's "great".

I agree that generally yes, Great teams have Great QB's.... but that's not the rule. Great QB's CAN and DO make a team better (Dan Marino, anyone?) But the flip side is that a Great team can make a terrible or mediocre QB succeed, as evidenced above.

In 2007 Chicago made it to the Super Bowl with who at QB???
In 2003 the Super Bowl QB's were Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson...
In 2001 the Super Bowl Qb's were Trent Dilfer and Kerry Collins...

I don't consider ANY of the above QB's "great".

I agree that generally yes, Great teams have Great QB's.... but that's not the rule. Great QB's CAN and DO make a team better (Dan Marino, anyone?) But the flip side is that a Great team can make a terrible or mediocre QB succeed, as evidenced above.

The dolphins this year wont have a defence anywhere near what the bears had in 07.

plus you seemed to make a judgement ignoring the other years where the qbs were brady, mcnair, warner, manning, mcnabb, roethlisberger etc.

obviously you can pick out the odd stat thats different, but to say that "its not the rule" is a bit far fetched.

At a quick glance I counted 43 of the 82 starting Superbowl QB's are in or are locks for the Hall of Fame. Didn't speculate on Eli or Big Ben and it's a coin flip if Kenny Stabler gets in so I didn't count them.

Regardless, to say the QB is the most important factor to get to a Super Bowl is statistically not true when over half of every Superbowl QB's was or will be a HOF QB. We're the teams around them good? Of course, as no one wins alone, but without a doubt it's the most important factor in getting a team to the big game.

It's a guessing game to say Ryan is the right guy, but the bottom line is until we find a good QB, we will not be serious contenders for a Superbowl. Personally, I'm all for taking early cracks at top QB's early in the draft until we find our guy. I'll let our FO make that difficult choice.

Stats can be read any way you want to slant them.

Look at all those teams and see how many D lineman are in the HOF from those same teams. I promise you that you will find a similar correlation.

Does the results of his workout really suprise anyone?

I mean, he was EXPECTED to do good. If he did good, it doesnt boost his stock, this workout only could have hurt him.

Considering he didnt go to the combine or the senior bowl, he has had 4 months to practice this routine. What he does is a set of scripted throws and patterns that he has been practicing for the past 4 months.

If I had absolutely nothing else to do but work on a routine for 4 months, I would be pretty good at it.

This proday does nothing to his stock, it just keeps him where he is.

And what happened during the Fiedler era? What a waste of a great defense that was. Are we going to go down that path again? Playoffs but no SuperBowl. Because that's what a great defense and no QB gets you 9 out of 10 times unless you're lucky enough to build a Tampa or Ravens defense before everyone splits through free agency

I guess the point is that MR is not a clear cut Manning type to most on this board.
If Peyton M was in this years draft I am failry certain that most would change their position concerning the importance of a QB.

I dont know either way if Ryan is or isnt that guy, so I would rather have a safer pick.

According to Mike Mayock, Ryan showed better than originally though athleticism, and a good arm, but then he said some of his passes fluttered a bit and some people didn't think his spirals were as tight as they would have liked (to me that would seem to contradict showing a good arm).

The one thing on NFLN that really stood out for me though was Charlie Casserly, who was at Long's pro day, talking about the possibility of him going number 1. Paul Bermister said something along the lines of "You saw enough in Mario Williams to take him number 1. Did Long show enough to prove he is number 1?" Casserly said he felt he did. He said he thinks he can be a great pass rusher and said his use of his hands were very impressive. He then said he has "Payton Manning-like character and work ethic." Pretty high praise from a guy like Casserly.

The dolphins this year wont have a defence anywhere near what the bears had in 07.

plus you seemed to make a judgement ignoring the other years where the qbs were brady, mcnair, warner, manning, mcnabb, roethlisberger etc.

obviously you can pick out the odd stat thats different, but to say that "its not the rule" is a bit far fetched.

P.Manning and T.Brady are the only two great QB's in that list.

I'm sorry, but when you get reports like the one below, you don't waste a #1 on this guy.

"I thought it was impressive, but it didn't leave me spell-bound," one club's college scouting director told me afterward.

I want spellbound with my # 1 pick.

I'm sorry, but when you get reports like the one below, you don't waste a #1 on this guy.

"I thought it was impressive, but it didn't leave me spell-bound," one club's college scouting director told me afterward.

Maybe the exec was just jealous...

I haven't heard spellbound said about any player...so whats the point? When you really look at the top 5-6 players in this draft...none are worthy of being said that he is the top player of the draft...thats the problem.

I haven't heard spellbound said about any player...so whats the point? When you really look at the top 5-6 players in this draft...none are worthy of being said that he is the top player of the draft...thats the problem.

I think Chris Long is clearly the best prospect in the draft at least in my eyes.

The problem with Ryan is what you heard yesterday, you keep hearing quotes like he was impressive but, He didn't have that tight spiral you like (and it was indoors, so I don't want to hear the weather excuse).

Nobody came right out and said, dam, he is good. He is just not worth the #1 pick.

I think Chris Long is clearly the best prospect in the draft at least in my eyes.

The problem with Ryan is what you heard yesterday, you keep hearing quotes like he was impressive but, He didn't have that tight spiral you like (and it was indoors, so I don't want to hear the weather excuse).

Nobody came right out and said, dam, he is good. He is just not worth the #1 pick.

See thats the problem...in your eye's....but the decision is in Parcells and Co's eye's...and we don't know who or in what direction they are looking. My problem with C. Long as the pick is this...and I have stated it before...does he fit our needs...do we need another OLB? The answer is no...we already have 11 linebackers on the roster...is he big enough to play DE on a parcells team...well look at the DE's on the Cowboys roster...the answer is no. I have a problem with Long not lifting also...he didn't lift at the combine and again yesterday. His excuse is...he sprained a thumb...well that was months ago...so what is he hiding?
I don't see the Dolphins selecting either C. Long or Gholston with the top pick...when you have needs to fill at other positions...and when the top players are all equal at best. If C. Long ran a 4.5...weighing 270...that would be impressive...and it would make him an exceptional player...but a 4.75...he's a slow linebacker...when you compare his time to the times the real linebackers ran.

Back
Top Bottom