Matt Ryan Scouting report excerts | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Ryan Scouting report excerts

I'd agree Matt Ryan is a first round type player......but come on now #1 overall.....that's a streeeeeeeeeeetch

I don't think he should be our pick, but questioning his mobility is wrong IMO. He had horrible O line and constantly had to buy time with his feet to get throws off.

Decision making problems? Sure.
Streaky? Ok that’s fair he was hot and cold, hot at some opportune times though.
Arm strength? Not his strongest point but well above average.
First downs with his feet? Who cares?
Accuracy? See streaky.

Overall, IMO he showed flashes of greatness, but did have the constancy to be worth the number one overall. I can show Beck doing everything he did in college. (doing them in college of course)

I think those evaluating Ryan need to pay more attention to his supporting cast. He rarely had the opportunity to set his feet. He rarely had receivers make the tough catch. He constantly had receivers giving up position or throwing out the alligator arms.

All of these things led to interceptions. Many of which were not his fault. In fact, of the four games I have, only a third of the interceptions could have been put on him. If that trend holds throughout the season, he would really only have nine or ten interceptions at the most.

I have absolutely no doubt that we would not be having any of these discussions if he played for a team with even marginal talent around him.

I think Ryan can and will become a great QB in the league. Whether it is with us remains to be seen as we have a bajillion holes on our team to fill. One of the biggest reasons I like Ryan is his gunslinger mentality (which is his gift and his curse, hence the interceptions).

Ultimately, I'd love Chris Long or Matt Ryan, with Jake Long only being if we can move down as I don't think he is worthy of the top pick. After we passed on Quinn last year, it's anyone's guess what the Phins will do. If they call McFadden's name it will be the second consecutive year my jaw drops.

a FRANCHISE QB doesnt have those weaknesses...especially a number 1 pick

I personally don't want us to draft Ryan, I want Beck to succeed (what can I say, I'm a homer, I love all Dolphin Draft picks :lol:). But every QB has weaknesses, or else someone didn't do their scouting report.

Take every franchise QB out there now, I'm sure you'll find weaknesses. Also regarding his INTs, I have to provide a counterpoint. A great QB once threw 17 TDs and 23 INTs in his final year before being drafted.

That said, I don't want to draft Ryan, we have Beck!

The reality is that Beck is an unproven commodity. As a result, expecting him to succeed and passing on Ryan could be perceived as highly risky. Also, such a tactic would be very much like the decade long quick fix mentality Miami has had in regards to their quarterback position.

I think those evaluating Ryan need to pay more attention to his supporting cast. He rarely had the opportunity to set his feet. He rarely had receivers make the tough catch. He constantly had receivers giving up position or throwing out the alligator arms.

All of these things led to interceptions. Many of which were not his fault. In fact, of the four games I have, only a third of the interceptions could have been put on him. If that trend holds throughout the season, he would really only have nine or ten interceptions at the most.

I have absolutely no doubt that we would not be having any of these discussions if he played for a team with even marginal talent around him.

I have seen about 7 of his games this year and I would say that from those 7 about half were his fault and the other half were the receivers fault. To me that puts him in very good company and I am not concerned one bit by his interceptions. He has trouble with underneath recognition but that can be coached out of him in one training camp. It has everything to do with learning to read high to low. Right now I think he reads the opposite direction but that's something I would have to speak with his coach about to be sure. Since Jagodzinski wont take my calls its just my opinion :lol:

the bottom line is if we get a QB then we will start winning games again, if beck gets it then we are home free, the problem is if beck does not get it, we need plan B, if we draft Ryan then he is the guy, might as well sign him and play him week one, a second round guy gives beck a chance at the job with protection, that would be henne or flacco or booty, no other QB is worth a second round pick unless brohm falls

At some point we have to stop trying to beat the system. We are never going to make the next step without a quarterback. It just won't happen. We need to load that position up with talent and let the chips fall where they may.

People talk about the problem of both Ryan and Beck working out. Trust me, that is not a problem. That is a blessing. Good quarterbacks always have value on the open market.

I really feel like Ryan is going to be a really good one at the next level. I just hope its for us.

I saw him play one half last year and was not imperssed...granted not much to judge anyone on, but he was unaccurate and made bad decisions...seems to describe all of the post Dan QB's we've had...lol

I think Ryan can and will become a great QB in the league. Whether it is with us remains to be seen as we have a bajillion holes on our team to fill. One of the biggest reasons I like Ryan is his gunslinger mentality (which is his gift and his curse, hence the interceptions).

Ultimately, I'd love Chris Long or Matt Ryan, with Jake Long only being if we can move down as I don't think he is worthy of the top pick. After we passed on Quinn last year, it's anyone's guess what the Phins will do. If they call McFadden's name it will be the second consecutive year my jaw drops.

Although I think there is more to his interceptions than just that, that is the one quality I have found that seperates the great ones from the average ones. It could also lead you to be out of the league kind of quickly :lol: but it is what seperates the average game mangers from the difference makers.

I think the thing that disappointed me most about Beck is that unlike Marino, Favre, Peyton in their rookie years, he didnt show any guts in terms of trusting his arm to make a play when the window was small. He played not to make a mistake and I think that goes to his personality not to Cameron. There are many things Beck needs to improve upon but the one thing I really want to see out of him above all others is some guts. Not the type of guts of taking a hit but the type of guts of let me try to make a play, consequences be damned. I dont even care if he fails every now and then. Throw the picks but start chucking. You'll never get the TDs playing it safe. No guts no glory

Here are some various scouting report exerts on Matt Ryan and why he should NOT be the #1 overall pick!

Arm strength is only average...Still throws too many interceptions...Accuracy can be streaky...Struggles with the deep ball...A bit of a gunslinger who will play too recklessly at times...Not very mobile and won't beat you with his feet...May have some minor durability issues...Isn't a great athlete...May not have a huge upside.

Limited upside…arm strength is good, but not great…has he maxed out on his abilities…lacks mobility outside the pocket… struggles to at times throwing on the run...

The amount of interceptions that he’s thrown the past season scares me a little bit considering the struggles of young quarterbacks Eli Manning, Vince Young, and Carson Palmer, which can be ascribed to interceptions. He had a chance in the Champs Sports Bowl to put the game out of reach, but failed to do so with a muffed snap and just gave Michigan State every opportunity in the world to come back. He struggled twice against the best defense he played against all season in Virginia Tech, going a combined 58/107 for 590 yards with 2 TDs and 4 INTs.

Makes a lot of careless decisions in the passing game and takes too many chances...Arm isn’t very strong but I think if he works with an NFL trainer this can be improved a little bit...Isn't very mobile and won't move the chains with his legs.
From what I've seen of him, I agree 100% with these assessments of Ryan.

I want Erik Ainge or Brian Brohm, they both seem most prepared for the next level. Matt Ryan needs to develop better decision making he threw too many INTs
I kinda' agree on Ainge. He seems to have that "something" that would translate well to the NFL. JMHO.

I think that people are making too much of a big deal out of the 19 interceptions that Matt Ryan threw last year. Brian Brohm threw 12 inerceptions but he attempted almost 200 fewer passes. Statistically, Andre Woodson had the most impressive season of all the top QB's in this years draft (40td's/11int's) but there's no way he's the best QB in this class. You can't judge a college prospect solely on their stats, especially with quarterbacks you have to consider their ability to elevate the play of their teammates. Ryan carried the BC offense last season. Also, Dan Marino had some seasons where he threw a lot of interceptions mainly because he had a weak supporting cast ,just like Matt Ryan did last year.

Back
Top Bottom