Matt Ryan Scouting report excerts | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Ryan Scouting report excerts

I think that people are making too much of a big deal out of the 19 interceptions that Matt Ryan threw last year. Brian Brohm threw 12 inerceptions but he attempted almost 200 fewer passes. Statistically, Andre Woodson had the most impressive season of all the top QB's in this years draft (40td's/11int's) but there's no way he's the best QB in this class. You can't judge a college prospect solely on their stats, especially with quarterbacks you have to consider their ability to elevate the play of their teammates. Ryan carried the BC offense last season. Also, Dan Marino had some seasons where he threw a lot of interceptions mainly because he had a weak supporting cast ,just like Matt Ryan did last year.

Bro, here's my biggest problem Matt Ryan. He throws 19 picks. Now everyone's saying "Well... it's not that much considering he attempted 654 passes." But going by that logic, his 31 touchdowns isn't really that much.

Does he have the best supporting cast? No. But anybody watching him cannot deny that he made some very big mistakes, and while he shows flashes of greatness, he is very inconsistent.

A lot of the people who are against , myself included, just don't see why we should spend the first pick in the whole draft who has questionable decision making, especially when there are players that could help our ailing defense.

the bottom line is if we get a QB then we will start winning games again, if beck gets it then we are home free, the problem is if beck does not get it, we need plan B, if we draft Ryan then he is the guy, might as well sign him and play him week one, a second round guy gives beck a chance at the job with protection, that would be henne or flacco or booty, no other QB is worth a second round pick unless brohm falls

Henne late 2nd works for me, but I think that he will be gone by then.

I have seen about 7 of his games this year and I would say that from those 7 about half were his fault and the other half were the receivers fault. To me that puts him in very good company and I am not concerned one bit by his interceptions. He has trouble with underneath recognition but that can be coached out of him in one training camp. It has everything to do with learning to read high to low. Right now I think he reads the opposite direction but that's something I would have to speak with his coach about to be sure. Since Jagodzinski wont take my calls its just my opinion :lol:

Do you think that is out of way out of the ordinary? A lot of QBs INTs could be called "not thier fault". 19 is a lot no, matter what the reason.

I just can't see spending 35 mil guarenteed on such a big question mark. I'd take any of the other top prospects over Ryan......ANY

Although I think there is more to his interceptions than just that, that is the one quality I have found that seperates the great ones from the average ones. It could also lead you to be out of the league kind of quickly :lol: but it is what seperates the average game mangers from the difference makers.

I think the thing that disappointed me most about Beck is that unlike Marino, Favre, Peyton in their rookie years, he didnt show any guts in terms of trusting his arm to make a play when the window was small. He played not to make a mistake and I think that goes to his personality not to Cameron. There are many things Beck needs to improve upon but the one thing I really want to see out of him above all others is some guts. Not the type of guts of taking a hit but the type of guts of let me try to make a play, consequences be damned. I dont even care if he fails every now and then. Throw the picks but start chucking. You'll never get the TDs playing it safe. No guts no glory

Ok, but he showed it in College. He absolutely was told no mistakes manage the game. You can tell that from the play calling. I love how Rayns sorrounding talent can dismiss everything, and Becks is ignored. His big problem was pre snap reads IMO. He missed some blitzes he should have seen. Could this be a real problem for him? Yes, but to draft Matt Rayn number one, and miss out on either of the Longs isn't the answer to that problem. The question isn't does Beck need to improve, it's does drafting Matt Rayn number one overall help the Dolphins the most. I think no.

I think that people are making too much of a big deal out of the 19 interceptions that Matt Ryan threw last year. Brian Brohm threw 12 inerceptions but he attempted almost 200 fewer passes. Statistically, Andre Woodson had the most impressive season of all the top QB's in this years draft (40td's/11int's) but there's no way he's the best QB in this class. You can't judge a college prospect solely on their stats, especially with quarterbacks you have to consider their ability to elevate the play of their teammates. Ryan carried the BC offense last season. Also, Dan Marino had some seasons where he threw a lot of interceptions mainly because he had a weak supporting cast ,just like Matt Ryan did last year.

I have yet to see a draft Brain Brohm with the number 1 pick post. I think Matt Ryan is the QB in the draft. I don't think he should go in the top 5, but I think the Falcons will pick him.

Ok, but he showed it in College. He absolutely was told no mistakes manage the game. You can tell that from the play calling. I love how Rayns sorrounding talent can dismiss everything, and Becks is ignored. His big problem was pre snap reads IMO. He missed some blitzes he should have seen. Could this be a real problem for him? Yes, but to draft Matt Rayn number one, and miss out on either of the Longs isn't the answer to that problem. The question isn't does Beck need to improve, it's does drafting Matt Rayn number one overall help the Dolphins the most. I think no.

I really dont think that presnap reads are going to be a concern for Beck as they may be for Vince Young or Colt Brennan. That flaw in his game was obviously his weakest last season but that is the definition of the types of problems you expect out of a rookie. I fully expect him to grasp all of the intellectual aspects of the position over the next few seasons. I think the physical limitations will be what seperates Ryan and Beck going forward.

I think that there is a gulf between the two and is why I think its a good investment. Difference of opinion but that's what makes this part of the season so fun :D

Do you think that is out of way out of the ordinary? A lot of QBs INTs could be called "not thier fault". 19 is a lot no, matter what the reason.

I saw seven of his games and the my take was that the total ints dont reflect his game. I'll quote PFWs draft guide magazine which just came out regarding the ints. Sorry I cant provide a link since its in the magazine and not online version

" His interception totals could be a turn off for some teams, and his eyes could stand to be retrained, which would cut down his INTS significantly, but given that he threw more than 650 passes as a senior, it is important to note that his interception percentage was less than 3% - not a bad mark with no talent around him and a number of picks resulting from tips off the hands of his receivers. "

Now having watched most of his games I would add the fact that there were other ints that were due to circumstances (needing to press due to the game situation), lack of seperation by his receivers and at least two ints were due to his receivers giving up on the plays instead of fighting for the balls and running through their routes. My perception from 7 games was that about half were his fault and half were due other factors. As Peyton Manning said "There's always a story behind an interception. Unfortunately noone wants to hear it" It seems my perceptions are at least echoed by some others so I feel that I'm not looking at this through rose colored glasses. Its as objective as I can be although we all come from a subjective base. I definitely have a bias towards big QBs and am the first to admit it. I do think Parcells is also however

I just can't see spending 35 mil guarenteed on such a big question mark. I'd take any of the other top prospects over Ryan......ANY

I believe there is a strong group of people who do not feel that Ryan is such a big questions mark. Count me into that group.

Also, these other "top prospects" have plenty of their own warts as well.

the bottom line is if we get a QB then we will start winning games again, if beck gets it then we are home free, the problem is if beck does not get it, we need plan B, if we draft Ryan then he is the guy, might as well sign him and play him week one, a second round guy gives beck a chance at the job with protection, that would be henne or flacco or booty, no other QB is worth a second round pick unless brohm falls
We need more than a qb to start winning games again. We NEED to start by protecting our qbs and creating running some running lanes. Until we do that consistantly we wont have any consistant qb play. No QB can make up for the inequities of our oline. You improve the line you will see an improved John Beck. I GUARANTEE we wont won't be selecting Ryan with our pick. If I'm wrong I will never post on this site again. I promise.

We need more than a qb to start winning games again. We NEED to start by protecting our qbs and creating running some running lanes. Until we do that consistantly we wont have any consistant qb play. No QB can make up for the inequities of our oline. You improve the line you will see an improved John Beck. I GUARANTEE we wont won't be selecting Ryan with our pick. If I'm wrong I will never post on this site again. I promise.

Is that an argument for Jake Long at #1? If so, I would argue that selecting him would not shore up our line as he would struggle to pass protect against the stronger, more athletic defensive linemen in the NFL.

I think the physical limitations will be what seperates Ryan and Beck going forward.

I think that there is a gulf between the two and is why I think its a good investment. Difference of opinion but that's what makes this part of the season so fun :D

You actually think that Ryan being 3 inches taller than Beck is going to make him a better QB? I think I would take Becks brains and arm over Ryans height anyday.
Beck played with the biggest O line in college football and had no problems throwing over them and completing 70% of his passes. I dont see it as a problem.

You actually think that Ryan being 3 inches taller than Beck is going to make him a better QB? I think I would take Becks brains and arm over Ryans height anyday.
Beck played with the biggest O line in college football and had no problems throwing over them and completing 70% of his passes. I dont see it as a problem.

The height does not automatically make him a better quarterback, but it helps.

Also, I would argue that their brains and arm as similar. In fact, Ryan may have the better of both.

Is that an argument for Jake Long at #1? If so, I would argue that selecting him would not shore up our line as he would struggle to pass protect against the stronger, more athletic defensive linemen in the NFL.

You have made that argument ad nauseum. At some point it's better to agree to disagree.

The height does not automatically make him a better quarterback, but it helps.

Also, I would argue that their brains and arm as similar. In fact, Ryan may have the better of both.

This thread has a lot better debate than the way this subject usualy goes. For me it comes to this, I have not seen anything from Ryan that makes me think that he is going to be worth passing on Chris Long. I think Ryan could be better than Beck, but I'm not sure about that. Even if I was, I don't think he can be better than either of the Longs for Miami, and we already have Beck.

Back
Top Bottom