Matt Ryan Scouting report excerts | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Matt Ryan Scouting report excerts

You have made that argument ad nauseum. At some point it's better to agree to disagree.

How about this, when Long supporters stop saying we should take him ad nauseum, I will stop saying we should not.

Is that fair?

How about this, when Long supporters stop saying we should take him ad nauseum, I will stop saying we should not.

Is that fair?

It's a question of degree. Your quasi militant take on the subject reminds me of chicken little running around adamantly claiming that the sky is falling.

We all have our opinions (you know what they're like)- why feel the need to counter every post that is in favor of drafting JLong. He might be good, he might blow, that's how these things play out. In the grand scheme of things it's just not that big of a deal. I'm not a huge Matt Ryan fan, but that doesn't mean that I feel the need to dump on him every chance that I get. I'd much rather have Henne at 2B, the preferences being first to trade the #1 pick and second to draft JLong. No need for a thrombo over this. It's just the NFL draft, it's supposed to be fun for guys like us.

It's a question of degree. Your quasi militant take on the subject reminds me of chicken little running around adamantly claiming that the sky is falling.

We all have our opinions (you know what they're like)- why feel the need to counter every post that is in favor of drafting JLong. He might be good, he might blow, that's how these things play out. In the grand scheme of things it's just not that big of a deal. I'm not a huge Matt Ryan fan, but that doesn't mean that I feel the need to dump on him every chance that I get. I'd much rather have Henne at 2B, the preferences being first to trade the #1 pick and second to draft JLong. No need for a thrombo over this. It's just the NFL draft, it's supposed to be fun for guys like us.

Quasi militant? Calm down. It's gonna be alright.

The reality is that Beck is an unproven commodity. As a result, expecting him to succeed and passing on Ryan could be perceived as highly risky. Also, such a tactic would be very much like the decade long quick fix mentality Miami has had in regards to their quarterback position.

Ryan is an unproven commodity. EVERY rookie is.
It would also be risky drafting Ryan and expecting him to be a franchise QB while failing to address bigger needs on this team.
If Ryan does not pan out, then you are back at square one and that will set the franchise back another 2-3 yrs.
QB's are big risk/ big regard type players

Agreed. Every rookie is risky. But you have to take the highest rated player on your board hopefully at a position of need.

I think that would be either Chris Long or Matt Ryan. For me, it would be Matt Ryan.

I think Ryan is as good a quarterback as any to enter the draft since the Alex Smith year. The only quarterback I would probably rate higher would be JaMarcus Russell, but maybe not giving his questionable work ethic.

The decision for me is all about how I feel about Matt Ryan as a player. I just don't think you pass on a quarterback this good when the position is unsettled.

I feel bad for you. It must be tough to live with such angst.

Boys....boys....no need to make things personal. We all have our favorites and no one will know whom is right for 3 or 4 years anyway.

Personally, I've switched my opinion 2 or 3 times over the last couple months. Now, I would prefer Ryan. Most so called experts view him as a top 5 talent. It is a position that has been a thorn in our side for the greater part of a decade. I'm not comfortable with just Beck given what I saw last year. Has Beck had a fair chance? No, but frankly I don't care. He proved nothing last year, and I would prefer to at least have an option rather than waiting yet another year. Next year's QB crop at first blush appears to be the worst in years. So when do we address the position? 2010? Or draft a late round project which very rarely work out?

The by no means is a reflection on how I feel about the Longs. I think both are excellent prospects. I would not be that disappointed if we took either of them over Ryan, but would only hope we can trade down to Atlanta and secure a couple more picks. I personally think Atlanta is desperate to land Ryan after securing Turner. I think most people's first choice on this board is to trade down anyway.

Boys....boys....no need to make things personal. We all have our favorites and no one will know whom is right for 3 or 4 years anyway.

Personally, I've switched my opinion 2 or 3 times over the last couple months. Now, I would prefer Ryan. Most so called experts view him as a top 5 talent. It is a position that has been a thorn in our side for the greater part of a decade. I'm not comfortable with just Beck given what I saw last year. Has Beck had a fair chance? No, but frankly I don't care. He proved nothing last year, and I would prefer to at least have an option rather than waiting yet another year. Next year's QB crop at first blush appears to be the worst in years. So when do we address the position? 2010? Or draft a late round project which very rarely work out?

The by no means is a reflection on how I feel about the Longs. I think both are excellent prospects. I would not be that disappointed if we took either of them over Ryan, but would only hope we can trade down to Atlanta and secure a couple more picks. I personally think Atlanta is desperate to land Ryan after securing Turner. I think most people's first choice on this board is to trade down anyway.

How do you expect Beck to show anything if he WASN'T given a fair chance?

How do you expect Beck to show anything if he WASN'T given a fair chance?

True he wasn't thrown into a good situation, however, are we supposed to cross our fingers that he flicks the switch in the next year or two? If he continues to play poorly, we'll likely have to wait until 2010 to draft a top flight QB as next year doesn't look good for QB prospects. By Parcell's history, 2010 is supposed to be the year we make the playoffs. What are the odds we make the playoffs if Beck doesn't work out and we don't have another answer?

I have no idea if I'm right, but I'm tired of having one of worst QB's in the league EVERY year. Trust me, I would love to come in here and eat crow because Beck turns it around but for now....call me a skeptic.

Agreed. Every rookie is risky. But you have to take the highest rated player on your board hopefully at a position of need.

I think that would be either Chris Long or Matt Ryan. For me, it would be Matt Ryan.

I think Ryan is as good a quarterback as any to enter the draft since the Alex Smith year. The only quarterback I would probably rate higher would be JaMarcus Russell, but maybe not giving his questionable work ethic.

The decision for me is all about how I feel about Matt Ryan as a player. I just don't think you pass on a quarterback this good when the position is unsettled.

I don't know if you watch PRO football but Alex Smith hasn't been anything special. So we should draft a guy because he is as good as Alex Smith. It doesn't produce a very good argument in your favor.

True he wasn't thrown into a good situation, however, are we supposed to cross our fingers that he flicks the switch in the next year or two? If he continues to play poorly, we'll likely have to wait until 2010 to draft a top flight QB as next year doesn't look good for QB prospects. By Parcell's history, 2010 is supposed to be the year we make the playoffs. What are the odds we make the playoffs if Beck doesn't work out and we don't have another answer?

I have no idea if I'm right, but I'm tired of having one of worst QB's in the league EVERY year. Trust me, I would love to come in here and eat crow because Beck turns it around but for now....call me a skeptic.

Next year's QB crop is one of the main reasons I want to draft Ryan this year. That crop looks horrific and if we go into 2008 with Beck as our only hope and he fails, we've just wasted two years instead of one IMO

Jake Long is a cheater, he has said in the SI article that he holds but knows how to hide it from the refs. he isn't worth the top pick in my opinion, he will struggle in the NFL. QB isn't a big need and I'm not sold on Matt Ryan, we will select Chris Long. the perfect OLB for our defense. he will be the ROY next season no matter what team he's on watch

Back
Top Bottom