MERGED 2X: Samuels/AO deal | 'Skins fans here | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED 2X: Samuels/AO deal | 'Skins fans here

Chrisbob said:
Well, if you got Samuels you would be able to work a new deal with him and lower his cap numbers, giving a new bonus out and spreading it over any new deal and keeping the salaries low for the first few years. Players perfer deals with big bonuses as it's the only sure money they get, nothing else is guaranteed.

Others may have noticed this (I didn't read every post), but we could sign Ogunleye to a long term deal with a cap number much friendlier than Samuels over the next several years. So, unless Samuels is willing to renegotiate his deal significantly, I don't think the Dolphins will make the deal.

Samuels has significant upside, but he's not proven himself as Ogunleye has. So, I would say the Dolphins would have to get a reduced cost on Samuels AND another player or significant draft pick (like a 2nd rounder) or picks (3rd & 4th).

Chrisbob said:
Sorry to bump this thread but just to clear something up, the reason the Redskins would clear $2.1M of cap room if Samuels was traded is due to Samuels having a "Dieon Sanders" cap charge of $0.714 in each of his remaining seasons. These are credited to the redskins in the event of a trade.

I always appreciate a good salary cap discussion and your help to clear things up as we all make mistakes with such complicated matters.

The Dieon rule, which must be the most complicatedly written passage in the CBA, reallocates signing bonus from uncapped years to capped years if the base salaries, roster bonuses and reporting bonuses in capped years are less than the signing bonus proration in the uncapped years. So a signing bonus is no longer prorated equally during the term of a contract but charged off at a higher amount in the capped years.

Samuels' contract could have fallen under this rule in 2000 but if this did happen then the signing bonus in question would have already been charged to previous years' salary caps. That would then make all the signing bonus prorations and cap numbers we have been reading wrong because once a portion of signing bonus is charged off it cannot be charged again and should not be included in any future calculations.

BTW this would explain the undocumented $535,685. in the cap value for Samuels in the USA Today football salary database. :)

I was wrong the Dieon rule is the worst written rule not the most complicated. :tongue:

I agree, it's a bad rule to explain because signing bonuses can be pro-rated over the length of any contract up to 3 years after the end of the CBA, but the Dieon rule only counts for years under the CBA (up to 2007 in this case).

Samuels reworked his contract two years back and had some salary guaranteed which is where the extra money came from.

I would say that overall a straight up swap would be a good deal, but I don't know if the Redskins would go for it.

Ogunleye isn't the "premier" passrusher that everyone makes him out to be, while Chris Samuels isn't the "premier" pass protector that everyone thought he would be coming out of the draft. They are both good, but not elite. And while recent circumstances have conspired to allow Ogunleye to outperform over the last two seasons, they have (IMO) conspired to make Samuels look worst than he really is. The Spurrier era was a disaster for the offense all-around, including especially the pass protection. Samuels was put on an island (as he should be, but not 100% of the time with only a rinky-dink running game to keep DEs honest), and he had the dregs of QB talent put behind center to block for...except for Ramsey of course, who holds onto the ball too long and has done so ever since college.

The recent two seasons make it much more likely that we could buy Samuels' services with a new contract extension and get a better value than we could if we pay Ogunleye...and I would say its about as hard to find premier LTs as it is premier DEs. Mike Strahan is worth a Tim Boselli, Jason Taylor worth an Orlando Pace I'd say, and likewise Ogunleye worth a Chris Samuels.

Not to mention the well-documented fact that we are much worst as of right now on the OL than we are on the DL.

Back
Top Bottom