MERGED 2X: Samuels/AO deal | 'Skins fans here | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED 2X: Samuels/AO deal | 'Skins fans here

dolfan87 said:
Since when are we desperate for a LT? :rolleyes:

Bad idea. We don't need another huge contract, with a problem of getting him re-signed.

Exactly. The guy obviously knows nothing of the Dolphins. He is also asking for the Dolphins 2nd rounder next year(which they don't have) or Seth McKinney. While Smith didn't have a Pro Bowl year, he played well(especially for a rookie at the most important and demanding position on the line). I don't think that anyone is saying that we have one of the top LT's in the league(yet:cooldude: ), but they are not desperate by any means.

That said, I would rather keep Ogunleye. I'm really hoping that a deal gets worked out. The Dolphins are not very young on the D-line and need him to stick around. While they are probably the second best in the league(Carolina) and still performing well, they aren't that youthful. Taylor will be 30 before the first game but I think he's got a few more really good season's in him if he stays healthy. Bowens is 31, and probably in his last year as a Dolphin, and Chester will be 29 this season. DT's take a beating every season and will need help from a young vet like Ogunleye in the pass rush.

I have no idea what the author was doing for a Miami scouting report but it is pretty far from any reality I've come to understand.

First he says we are "desperate" for an OLT. Smith may not be an all-pro, but he shows as much promise as Samuels has in the past two years. We have McIntosh, a multi-year starting OLT, recovering from surgery and St. Clair, Carey, and/or Pape as "emergency" fill-ins for the short term.

Then he says the Redskins want to get out from under a potential cap problem, but doesn't trading Samuels give them that same problem with dead space right away? And who would want a player with those cap numbers unless a deal could be worked out in advance?

Then he says that he would want MORE than Wale, head up for Samuels!!! Wale is an All-Pro (perhaps a bit of a product of a system, that's another debate) and Samuels is a tremendous underachiever. And that's just about production, not to mention cap numbers.

This article has all the hallmarks of unenlightened pure speculation.

I do love the idea that they will end up starting Brandon Winey. JJ gave up on him too quickly.

Chrisbob said:
First off, hello again Phin fans, how's it going?

Second, thought you may like to look at this article, please note it will only be able to be viewed this weekend as it's an insider access article and they are running a free weekend:

http://redskins.theinsiders.com/2/271952.html

Anyway, I looked through another thread regarding this deal and whilst it is only a rumour for now it is a very possible deal. The Ogunlaye situation isn't good for your team as he is threatening to sit and leave next year as a FA. The Samuels situation is a pain for the 'Skins because he has had a slump in form the past two years and he is a cap burden. The article above explains the cap implications of a Samuels trade from a Redskins point of view.

As it is, any Dolphins fan who expects the 'Skins to give up more than a straight swap will be dissappointed. No way the 'Skins give up any more than a straight swap. Fact is, this is similiar than the Portis/Bailey trade, the 'Skins had to give up more ( a 2nd rd pick ) because Denver were in a situation where they did not have to deal straight away, which is what the situation is now for the 'Skins, whereas the Dolphins have to deal AO as a new deal appears far away and you risk losing him for nothing next year if no deal is done.

As it is, it would appear the 'Skins have a slightly better stance to ask for more than a straight swap, maybe a 3rd round draft pick as well? Of course, some of you are going to get mad at that (no offense is meant) but I would say that is how most 'Skins fans would see it.

Some of their opinions are here:

http://mb9.theinsiders.com/fcpndhardcorefrm1.showMessage?topicID=34461.topic

Not long 'til the season guys, enjoy!

The 'Skins might be in a better position to ask for draft picks to sweeten the deal if they were the last NFL team on earth. Our deal could go elsewhere. We need another high-priced player like we need a shot in the face. When all is said and done we could be a few draft picks heavier and one Ogunleye lighter, without the Redskins. Meanwhile, you'll be struggling still to sign Sean Taylor.

Saint Greg said:
Are you the Dolphins GM? I wouldn't be surprised if you are...That sounds like the opinion of someone who would mortgage the future of a franchise by trading valuable draft picks for higher priced veterans. If you think draft picks are like lottery tickets, you need to hire a new scouting dept because you obviously don't have very much confidence in them.

This is coming from a fan of the team that traded for Derrick Rodgers.

In reply to the moderator comments ;(Sorry still have not learnt how to incorporate other peoples comments)

When I made a reference to draft picks being like lottery picks I was making that assertion from the current GMs point of view.Remember that this regime is on a short leash.Draft picks will not help them win now.If they trade it is more likely to be for active players.

I agree that teams are primarily rebuilt through the draft.We are not at that stage yet.
Unfortunately draft picks have been given away like candy these last few years which accounts for the sparse drafts.What can you expect when the HC repeatedly has asserted that he only expects to get ST or backup players from the draft.

Anyway the success rate of this regimes drafts are not overwhelming so it can be compared to a throw of the dice if not a lottery.

Why give up the top DE in the market for future draft picks if you dont have confidence on whose picking.However draft picks would be great to start rebuilding for a new regime if it works out that way.

CrunchTime said:
In reply to the moderator comments ;(Sorry still have not learnt how to incorporate other peoples comments)

Hey, just click the QUOTE button in the bottom right hand corner of the poster's replyto incorporate the words of the poster into the post :D ..

Helped??

bakedmatt said:
This is coming from a fan of the team that traded for Derrick Rodgers.

Trading a 7th round pick is alot different than giving up your 1st day picks every year....Big difference. The Saints have alot of young talent and always have cap room because they've been building through the draft.

ScottLawrence said:
I would definilty take that in a heart beat if I were Miami...... Samuels is one of the best Tackles in the league and your offensive line is not looking good.

While with Ogunleye you really have no idea how good he really is being opposite Jason Taylor.

chris samuels gets used often. he is a turnstile. ide rather have jonas jennings. which isnt saying much.

Sorry to bump this thread but just to clear something up, the reason the Redskins would clear $2.1M of cap room if Samuels was traded is due to Samuels having a "Dieon Sanders" cap charge of $0.714 in each of his remaining seasons. These are credited to the redskins in the event of a trade.

Back
Top Bottom