MERGED 2X: Samuels/AO deal | 'Skins fans here | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED 2X: Samuels/AO deal | 'Skins fans here

Chrisbob said:
http://redskins.theinsiders.com/3/cutsavings.html

The above link shows all Redskins cut and/or trade saving s for this year, as you will see, Samuels, if traded (trades count like a pre-June cut, not a post-June cut) would give the 'Skins a saving of just over $2M.

If you are going of Samuels original contract numbers (from his rookie contract) then that has since changed, I don't know the exact details off the top of my head but he has reworked his contract twice since he otiginally signed, this may be where you are getting your wires crossed.

To the poster who asked about our QB situation. Gibbs says it's an open battle but whilst I do believe Gibbs is a man of honour, I would be surprised if Brunell isn't the starter, the fact that Ramsey has only just returned to full fitness already puts him behind Brunell in terms of getting up to speed on the offense. Brunell will start (barring injury), I'm 90% (no, not 100%, anything can happen) certain of that.
I don't believe the info in that link is accurate. Everything else Ive seen shows Samuels base salary this year at around 5mil and the uncharged portion of his signing bonus at around 8-9 mil. So, even in the best case scenario, if the remaining signing bonus is 8mil then the 7.79mil that would count against the cap if he stays (base of 5.13mil plus prorated SB of 2.66mil) is not as much as the 8mil that would count if he is traded. So, trading him would not SAVE money, it would COST money. Then, after absorbing the hit for trading Samuels, the Skins would still have to manage to fit Wale's contract into their cap.

Ross said:
We spend too much cap space on D. How is our O going to get better unless you take from the D and give to the O.

Straight-up trade with Ogun for a starting olineman is exactly what this teams needs...
Yea your right. We need better O-Lineman we already have an all-pro DE..

A Draft pick + an olineman, no less.

yankeehillbilly said:
My figures were a little off but I think the logic is valid. Yes, if traded Samuels would count something like 9mil against the 'Skins cap, but if they keep him he would count around 8mil anyway. Since this 8mil is already being counted against the cap the overall implication of trading Samuels would be a hit of around 1mil plus whatever cap charge Wale's new contract would demand.

Now you are correct. I pointed out that the $5 million salary was not subtracted from the calculation when you know the yearly proration.

My statement is correct. Samuels will count the $9 million against the cap for be traded and no replacement for this cap charge.

There is no savings for trading Samuels. Now if he's cut now there is a charge of $2.932 million.

yankeehillbilly said:
however, if they keep him they would be paying nearly 8million against the cap...so if the CUT him they save 5mil. Of course then they would have nearly 6 mil to count against the cap next year and they would also have to pay somebody to replace him.

Absolutely. :)

Trade: O-Gun for Samuels (Wash.) +?

Here's the article: http://story.theinsiders.com/a.z?s=69&p=2&c=271952

It looks like the Washington guys still feel that Miami and their team are in talks to trade O-Gun. This talk has died down around here, but it is interesting that this writer thinks Samuels is part of the equation. I think it is all wishful thinking on their part, because of Samuels' huge cap number (8 or 9 million) and some clause in his contract that allows Samuels to void the final year (2006), and hold the team ransom in negotiations. The article doesn't even mention Wade Smith, other than to say that Miami is "desperate for a LOT". He also wants Miami to throw in either a 2nd rounder in 2005, or Seth McKinney.

I think the fans would go ballistic if this were to happen. To think that Spielman would give up one contract headache, for another- at a position where (of course, opinions differ) Miami already has a young developing LOT....

It's nice to see sportswriters in other cities make just as many outrageous claims as our own. We couldn't afford a 9 million a year player on the line, nor would the dolphins be able to re-sign chambers or mcMicheal. It sounds like a pretty good deal on their side though:rolleyes:

phinfan77 said:
It's nice to see sportswriters in other cities make just as many outrageous claims as our own.

What do you mean? The article seems like it was well thought out, and brought up some interesting points. The writer just wants O-Gun and wants to shovel off some baggage, I don't blame him. He also doesn't know Miami's situation with Smith at LOT- or thinks the only good LOT's are "named" players.

MDFINFAN said:
Man Samuels has some high numbers, what do we have in mind if we did this deal..

Don’t be a ‘Wale, Trade Samuels Now

I really dont know what the FO would be thinking if they made this deal. From the looks of Samuels' huge cap numbers, acquiring him would hamstring us financially to the point where I doubt we could keep Chambers and McMike both. I have enough confidence in Wade Smith that I dont think we need Samuels...just draft picks and maybe Rod Gardener.

CrunchTime said:
Draft picks are like lottery tickets.Not worth it.

Are you the Dolphins GM? I wouldn't be surprised if you are...That sounds like the opinion of someone who would mortgage the future of a franchise by trading valuable draft picks for higher priced veterans. If you think draft picks are like lottery tickets, you need to hire a new scouting dept because you obviously don't have very much confidence in them. Let's not forget 1993, when the saints traded Pat Swilling after his 17 sack season to the lions for first and fourth round picks. Those picks ended up being Willie Roaf (one of the better tackles in the league) and Lorenzo Neal (The best blocking fullback in the league). And you know Swillings career went downhill after being traded to the lions and shifting to defensive end. I know you guys would never get first and fourth round picks, but that is just an example of what can be done with good scouting. That was a totally different situation since Swilling was a 5 time pro bowler in the prime of his career. Saying no to a trade that includes a draft pick because you don't know what you are going to get would be a mistake....Especially for a team that hasn't had a full compliment of first day picks in 3 years and won't have all of them for a 4th year.

This is the third thread started on the same subject in the last few days.Man,these Skins just dont give up.Ogun will re-sign with the fins and you will be stuck with an expensive underachieving LT at a position which is no longer as important to you since you have a left handed QB.You may end up releasing him and then we can take a look at him to back up Smith.

Lol.I thought I would try some pre-negotiation posturing.Seriously though I dont think think this deal can be done.As much as we need a little LT help ,Samuels contract numbers are troubling.Our FO really wants to get Ogun re-signed and and that leaves Samuels out of the equation.

I think we got the LT help we needed when Wade Smith bulked up 15 pounds and gained a year of experience under his belt.

So why not trade Samuels to Miami who are desperate for a Left Offensive Tackle?

Since when are we desperate for a LT? :rolleyes:

Bad idea. We don't need another huge contract, with a problem of getting him re-signed.

Back
Top Bottom