MERGED 2X: Samuels/AO deal | 'Skins fans here | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED 2X: Samuels/AO deal | 'Skins fans here

I was just looking at their salary cap pages. They show Samuels' initial signing bonus of $14.923 million in 2000.
14.923/7=$2.132 per year.
http://redskins.theinsiders.com/3/contractdetails.html

The current cap page shows the proration at $2.932 per year which says he has already restructed which the ESPN article I linked before said. $2.932*3 years remaining = $8.796 million in uncharged signing bonus.
http://redskins.theinsiders.com/3/salary_cap_chart.html

So even if they cut this guy now after 6/01 he would cost their cap $2.932 million this year. :lol:

3) One of the veteran holdover tackles (Brandon Winey) started a few games at LOT last season and actually looked better than Samuels with the same abysmal coaching……..

Interesyting that Winey ooked better than him. I really like this kid when he was picked by Miami a few years back in the 6th or 7th round.

Granted our line could use some support but why would we go after a T, especially a LT? Wade Smith is going to be quite good. If he suffers in the short run we have McIntosh to back him up. On the other side St Clair is servicable at RT and we just drafted a kid for the future. I cant see trading Wally for a LT playing RT when we just drafted a RT. Thats crazy. As for a 2nd round pick, we dont even have one, not that I would even consider that option if we did. Last year the skins stole a great RG from the jets, cant remeber his name. I would consider trading Wally for him and a seconrd rounder fromt the skins. That way we get out pick back (plus some spots b/c the skins will have a worse record) and shore up a weak spot on our line. That RG worries me a bit.

I disagree that Miami is likely to lose Ogun without a trade. His agent can threaten to holdout all he wants, but if Ogun sits out 10 games this year (or more if Miami doesn't play him the final 6 games) and his replacement (who was ahead of him on the depth chart 'til he was injured) plays well, then Ogun's value as a FA plummets and he'll end up signing for less then he's turning down now. Remember, at this point many teams attribute his success to being opposite Taylor. He needs another year of production before anyone will break the bank for him.

On the other hand, if this article is correct then it seems that Wash. will soon lose Samuels or pay him more than he's worth. Further, while both players have question marks, Ogun has played well more recently than Samuels. It seems to me that if anybody would give up more in a trade, it would be Wash.

Actually it looks like Skins have a more urgent need of resolving the uncertain status of Samuels than we do with Ogun.First of all he has not performed to expected level.Then his position of LT has become less important with the addition of Brunell;a left handed QB.They have adequate,less expensive backups at the position.They need the cap money to sign rookies.They may end up releasing him if they cant trade him.

1. I would want more than just Samuels in a trade for Ogun. (which I am not sure the Redsikns are willing to do)
2. I would not trade for Samuels unless he is willing to restructure his contract. (which I am not sure Samuels is willing to do.)
Just my 2 cents.

Merman said:
I was just looking at their salary cap pages. They show Samuels' initial signing bonus of $14.923 million in 2000.
14.923/7=$2.132 per year.
http://redskins.theinsiders.com/3/contractdetails.html

The current cap page shows the proration at $2.932 per year which says he has already restructed which the ESPN article I linked before said. $2.932*3 years remaining = $8.796 million in uncharged signing bonus.
http://redskins.theinsiders.com/3/salary_cap_chart.html

So even if they cut this guy now after 6/01 he would cost their cap $2.932 million this year. :lol:
however, if they keep him they would be paying nearly 8million against the cap...so if the CUT him they save 5mil. Of course then they would have nearly 6 mil to count against the cap next year and they would also have to pay somebody to replace him.

Merman said:
Just a little help as you probably already know but stated incorrectly.

When you know the signing bonus proration you don't subtract the base salary. The total uncharged signing bonus is charged currently when a player is traded. If this article stated differently they are wrong.

If they trade Samuels the Skins salary cap will be charged this year with at least $8 million. The articles I read, and linked, about Samuels' contract said this year's roster bonus of $1 million was paid in March. That would make the charge this year $9 million.
My figures were a little off but I think the logic is valid. Yes, if traded Samuels would count something like 9mil against the 'Skins cap, but if they keep him he would count around 8mil anyway. Since this 8mil is already being counted against the cap the overall implication of trading Samuels would be a hit of around 1mil plus whatever cap charge Wale's new contract would demand.

I cant see a strait up trade, too unblanced. Smauels has been in a slump, while Wale has been on the rise. Someone said a LT is harder to find then a DE, first of all i dont think this is entirley true, and pplus is Samuels was to join the team, he would be joining as a RT not a LT. No way he is gonna come in and replace Wade Smith, hes supposed to b the future anchor of our line. On tht toppic, so is Seth mcKinney, so ur deff not gettin him. BTW is Samuels even capable of a switch to RT? I kno Wade Smith sure as hell isnt, he doesnt have nearly enuff bulk ono him.

http://redskins.theinsiders.com/3/cutsavings.html

The above link shows all Redskins cut and/or trade saving s for this year, as you will see, Samuels, if traded (trades count like a pre-June cut, not a post-June cut) would give the 'Skins a saving of just over $2M.

If you are going of Samuels original contract numbers (from his rookie contract) then that has since changed, I don't know the exact details off the top of my head but he has reworked his contract twice since he otiginally signed, this may be where you are getting your wires crossed.

To the poster who asked about our QB situation. Gibbs says it's an open battle but whilst I do believe Gibbs is a man of honour, I would be surprised if Brunell isn't the starter, the fact that Ramsey has only just returned to full fitness already puts him behind Brunell in terms of getting up to speed on the offense. Brunell will start (barring injury), I'm 90% (no, not 100%, anything can happen) certain of that.

Miami will not take on that contract, if they were going to give a player that much money, Ogunleye would have been signed long ago. Nor do I see them trading and trying to renegotiate. They would possibly end up in the same boat as with Ogunleye.

Well, the beauty of any trade is that both players would probably agree contracts with their prospective new employers before any trade takes place.

We spend too much cap space on D. How is our O going to get better unless you take from the D and give to the O.

Straight-up trade with Ogun for a starting olineman is exactly what this teams needs...

Back
Top Bottom