Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted) | Page 28 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted)

Yettyskills said:
I'll throw a question out there...
Who would be at 16th that you would refuse to trade down?

I'm thinking a really couldn't care less who is avaiable at 16th, I'd trade down in any scenario to get the extra picks and let Nick work the draft.

I'll throw out this as well...
what do yas think about Manny Lawson finding his way into our defensive system? By the time the Combine is done he might be another Ware/Merriman.

any thoughts?

What do you mean? Who would have to be gone so I would trade down? I could see us slipping down a few spots ahead of the Pats and taking Tye Hill for sure. I think Young, Davis, Justice, Watson, Bunkley, Greenway, Cromartie and Huff would all have to be gone before I contemplated moving, unless I could slide down say to Denver's 2 picks and grab a Hill and a Jean Gilles, something like that.

I think Lawson would be an excellent pick for this team. Saban has already said that he would have made JT a Hall of Famer had he played in his defensive system all his life. Just imagine getting your very own version of Taylor for you to mould?! Perfect. I think he's another who garners strong consideration at the 16 spot.

RoKnRuiN said:
Boomer, do you think the Dolphins would be interested in J.D. Runnels - FB - Oklahoma. This guy is the epitome of high character, leadership, and work ethic.

To be honest mate, no. The FB position has become so archaic. They like the kid they have on the roster whose name escapes me and whilst I could see them add an H-back, I don't think a pure FB is a direction the team will go. He doesn't have great hands and he's pretty small - smaller than a lot of LB's. That said, like you say, the kid oozes character. Sort of guy you pull for.

nopony said:
I have a question, Boomer, if you have a sec.

Who do you feel is responsible for the Chargers finding themselves in this position?

I mean, I know their side of the story, but I still think it has to be considered a huge mistake to have let it come to this. Last year they could have gotten a king's ransom for EITHER of their QBs, and didn't pull the trigger out of either greed or fear.

Who do you think encouraged this course... was it due to a disagreement between coach and GM about who is the future at QB?

AJ Smith the GM and Marty Schottenheimer. A lot of the Chargers brass, the Spanos family, etc. were pretty furious that such a solid team didn't make the playoffs. That whole situation was exacerbated when Marty got Brees to play in that totally meaningless final game and Drw got the shoulder injury. Made doubly worse of course is that they have paid Phil Rivers something like $22 million for 2 seasons to wear a cap and carry a clipboard.

I think they were worried initially that Brees was a 1 year wonder, so it made sense not to do a deal last year. But this year would have been prime time to do one. Personally I would have played Rivers in the final game, a pressure less game, got him to do his stuff, increased his value, signed a healthy Brees and dealt Rivers for a 1. But they have really ballsed it all up. And I think it will cost Marty his job before the season. Seems from reading the press up there that AJ and Marty aren't getting along at all. LT21 who posts here probably has a much better inside scoop being a Bolts fan, but that's certainly my take.

Mr Dolfan said:
Given the fact that we lost our trade bait, the likelyhood of one of the top 3 QB's in this years draft sliding down to us is slim. FA will have to be the place to address this and Brees being the best hope. I would consider Ramsey the second and Culpepper 3rd.

I think Ramsey remains a legitimate target for this team. I know the Sentinal says we like McCown, but I think Patrick grades out higher than Josh.

emale2u1 said:
Do you think the Jets can be competitive given their cap condition? I only see Detroit and Oakland as our major competitors.

I think it's unlikely they can be competitive, but they can clear cash from their cap pretty easily - they will trade John Abraham, Curtis Martin is a question mark, Pennington either significantly restructures or will get released, there has been talk of releasing Mawae, etc. So they will certainly be a player in the FA market and it looks more and more likely that they'll be after Brees or Matt Schaub, who Mangini saw first hand this season as he tore into his defense up at the Georgia Dome.

Boomer said:
I think Ramsey remains a legitimate target for this team. I know the Sentinal says we like McCown, but I think Patrick grades out higher than Josh.

I agree wholeheartedly. Ramsey has gotten a bum deal in Washington, although I thought he was drafted a round too early. This guy would be a decent target that would not break the bank but has alot of upside. People need to remember Steve Young was not a hall of Famer from day one. The team you are on and the situation you are in can dictate alot.

Yeah Quincy Butler was one of the guys I listed as one of my sleeper picks. He was a JUCO transfer...except I believe he had the 12 picks in 2 years in JUCO, not at TCU. At TCU he had 2 picks his first year, returned one for a 99 yard score, had 5 picks his senior year. What impressed me so much about him is he matched up against some pretty decent prospect WR prospects in the Shrine game and just blanketed them. I felt he was particularly good when they threw deep on him, he showed not only the speed to keep up but that awareness of where the ball is in the air that you really need to see.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showpost.php?p=2063741&postcount=352

Count me among those that think the Chargers would have gotten rid of Brees whether he injured his shoulder or not. The difference with the injury may have been just that they would have franchised him first and traded him if he were 100% healthy. The NFL would have ruled probably that his franchise tender was 100% guaranteed...but if he were healthy that wouldn't have mattered because they could trade him easily. As things stand trading him would have been difficult with the injury question and with his salary being guaranteed teams would know that keeping him for the franchise tender level would not be an option. He could not be renegotiated to a long term deal until July.

But the shoulder injury is not the thing standing in the way of Drew Brees remaining a Charger for life. It is just a scapegoat. What stands in the way of Brees being a Charger for life is that the team did not make the playoffs this year even though they feel they should have. What stands in the way is that nearly every time LaDainian Tomlinson and the ground game got held in relative check, Drew Brees transformed into something that looked a lot more like the old Brees than the new Brees. The Chargers have no excuse for losing to the Dolphins, and Drew Brees was very AVERAGE in that game after we shut down Tomlinson. He had a garbage touchdown pad his stats in the end that I didn't even get to watch because the game was so sealed I left the bar with like 3 minutes left to go. There also isn't an excuse for finishing the season with like 3 straight losses.

The Chargers did what they should have done, felt him out to see if they could get him under contract at an affordable rate that in itself would present a competitive advantage relative to other teams...and when he didn't play ball, bye bye Brees. I think you could hardly say they were committed to making Brees a Charger when they basically only faxed over ONE offer, and when he rejected it, they stopped negotiations. That's not negotiating, that's putting on a show for the masses.

ckparrothead said:
Count me among those that think the Chargers would have gotten rid of Brees whether he injured his shoulder or not. The difference with the injury may have been just that they would have franchised him first and traded him if he were 100% healthy. The NFL would have ruled probably that his franchise tender was 100% guaranteed...but if he were healthy that wouldn't have mattered because they could trade him easily. As things stand trading him would have been difficult with the injury question and with his salary being guaranteed teams would know that keeping him for the franchise tender level would not be an option. He could not be renegotiated to a long term deal until July.

But the shoulder injury is not the thing standing in the way of Drew Brees remaining a Charger for life. It is just a scapegoat. What stands in the way of Brees being a Charger for life is that the team did not make the playoffs this year even though they feel they should have. What stands in the way is that nearly every time LaDainian Tomlinson and the ground game got held in relative check, Drew Brees transformed into something that looked a lot more like the old Brees than the new Brees. The Chargers have no excuse for losing to the Dolphins, and Drew Brees was very AVERAGE in that game after we shut down Tomlinson. He had a garbage touchdown pad his stats in the end that I didn't even get to watch because the game was so sealed I left the bar with like 3 minutes left to go. There also isn't an excuse for finishing the season with like 3 straight losses.

The Chargers did what they should have done, felt him out to see if they could get him under contract at an affordable rate that in itself would present a competitive advantage relative to other teams...and when he didn't play ball, bye bye Brees. I think you could hardly say they were committed to making Brees a Charger when they basically only faxed over ONE offer, and when he rejected it, they stopped negotiations. That's not negotiating, that's putting on a show for the masses.

Interesting POV...thanks.

do you guys feel Josh McCown could possibly be our future QB? the Dolphins are interested in him, he put up some good numbers

nick1 said:
do you guys feel Josh McCown could possibly be our future QB? the Dolphins are interested in him, he put up some good numbers

What I know about him is that he has a big arm. Otherwise, however, I believe Boomer and I both believe he's nothing more than a backup until he proves otherwise. There's not much really to grasp onto with McCown other than the fact that he's available. You have to wonder if you sign McCown thinking he could be your starter, if you're just getting caught up in wishful thinking.

Boomer/CK/everyone else with an opinion,
Ok, so what would you suggest and why for these scenario's?
we are close to signing Bree's, and Vince Young slides down to 16 on draft day.....no one else we really want at that pick, but no decent trade offers either....take Young or not?
Same story but with Culpepper...???

Boomer,
Happy to see you back on the main board or the 'zoo' as you call it. Certainly a relief for us non VIP people. I have 2 questions:

Is their a better fit for us than Rocky Bernard at DT ? I think he just fills in brilliantly and takes over from Traylor until Wright further develops. I do worry a tad bit if he's a one year wonder but he really brought it in the playoffs for the 'Hawks. I'd sign him asap.

Concerning the draft, it seems as if the Michael Huff talk has died down because he'll likely be picked before 16. But if he's available is there any doubt he'd be the pick ? I certainly hope so. If not who do you see as a nice option in the latter rounds ? Pat Watkins and Greg Blue are names you hear alot...You've got to think Nick would love to have a quality safety in the middle to play with on blitzes and stunts. I'm saying this considering what Polamalu and Harrison have done for their respective teams, which is completely change the complexion of their defense and elevate the play of their teamates.

Boomer said:
Thank you. I'm starting to get a little uneasy with all this Brees/Culpepper irrational exuberance. I'm not dancing in the streets over either guy (in fact, when it comes to Culpepper, I'm screaming "NOOOO" like a sorority girl in a slasher movie).

I've always thought that Ramsey, Volek or even McCown would be better pickups this off-season, with another eye towards the drafting of Jay Cutler or Charlie Whitehurst.

"Doesn't anybody notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"
- Mugatu

ckparrothead said:
What I know about him is that he has a big arm. Otherwise, however, I believe Boomer and I both believe he's nothing more than a backup until he proves otherwise. There's not much really to grasp onto with McCown other than the fact that he's available. You have to wonder if you sign McCown thinking he could be your starter, if you're just getting caught up in wishful thinking.
he also has good mobility and has put up some good numbers. I think he is a good QB, he had no running game and no o-line. no QB would be successful in that situation

Back
Top Bottom