Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted) | Page 30 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted)

Yettyskills said:
What I was asking was...
you are on the clock, who would be your draft board, that would make you turn a deaf ear to any team coming to you looking to get 16th pick?
realistically speaking, what players are NOT worth losing a shot at by trading 16th?
And thanks for the Validation on Manny, he is the perfect fit in our system IMO, and once the Combine is done he should be a legit 16th pick.

Oh OK. Cromartie, Justice, Young (if no FA QB has been sorted), Bunkley, Greenway (unlikely), Huff (unlikely). After that, I probably take all calls.

Oboy said:
Boomer,
Have to ask...
This is the second time I have seen you write that. My question, do you think that Saban is considering trading up? Or just by the remote chance he drops to us? Ok, a part b of the question... IS there ANY chance Huff does drop to 16?

Part a) I don't see us having the ammo as Nick HATES giving away picks.

Part b) Very unlikely unfortunately.

Boomer said:
Quality 3rd down/change of pace guy. Reminds me some of Brian Westbrook of the Iggles. Great speed, great hands, low centre of gravity, superb change of direction skills. Size is an issue and I don't see him pounding the rock 25 times a game, but used the right way he could be a hell of a pick up or someone.

im out of the loop on who you are but do you scout players for the pros, website or mainly for fun??:confused: you seem to know alot about all these players :cooldude:

thanks again

On McCown

I think when you've got a guy that has yet to do anything that grabs you by the boo-boo, excuses are like @ssholes...everyone's got one. I don't want to hear about how he didn't have a great line or injuries etc. Give me those stories AFTER he's shown something that can last longer than half a dozen plays. That's why he's a backup until he shows otherwise. Sure, you can pick him up and hope you get lucky...but if he's the only guy you've picked up, you're just rolling the dice on a bad prospect.

On Michael Huff

He's just a great safety prospect and I think he could be a tremendous player for the Dolphins' system for a long time. He should not be available at #16 but if he somehow managed to be there I think you have to take him...barring the availability of some "planet theory" type that never should have fallen.

On Rocky Bernard

I've always thought of him as an undersized guy and that makes him not a great prospect for our nose position...he might be able to play at Vonnie Holliday's spot but I do have hopes that a Wright/Vickerson rotation may end up ultimately replacing Vonnie at that spot.

Other Safety Prospects

As Boomer said, I love Dwayne Slay...but his speed might be too questionable for Saban. Not sure. Greg Blue is a tremendous possibility. He's just a superior athlete and Saban loves superior athletes. In that way he'll also take a look at LaRon's brother Dawan Landry...another good athlete if I'm not mistaken. I'm not a huge fan of Dawan but obviously Saban knows the family, he was an excellent athlete on a top notch defense, and in the late rounds Saban will be looking first and foremost for excellent athletes that Saban will look to turn from underachievers to overachievers. Jason Allen has been left out of some recent discussions but he's an incredible athlete when healthy and Saban has seen the guy make a lot of plays first hand, which will always be bonus points for Saban with defensive prospects (not so much offensive). I personally like as a 2nd round prospect Daniel Bullocks...I think he had about as good a Senior Bowl as a safety can possibly have. He picked off 5 passes during the week and was just always in the QBs' head. He's kind of like a Stewart Schweigert with genuine athletic ability (he's a little over 6 feet, supposedly runs in the 4.5 range).

Boomer said:
I don't see it myself. He always flatters to deceive a little. I take the point he has had injuries in front of him and the run game has struggled, but the WR corps is as good as it gets. He is inconsistent, does make some stupid decisions, which I think are down to a lack of vision. He never seems to have a good feel for the position. Like CK says, we both think he's back-up material at best. He's won some games and that's why we suit up, but.........not for me thanks.
I respect that, I still beleive he could amount to something but I want a proven QB like Brees if we pick one up

do you think Brees will fully recover from his injury and be the same QB? will he be able to be effective for next season

Boomer said:
Ramsey can be had for a 5th/6th rounder. It may not even come to that as financial issues may force his release anyway.
didn't we offer a first for him before the ill fated Feeley trade? If I remember this correctly (gonna be 40 in a few weeks, ya know) the Phins wanted to make a run at Brunnell, but Gibbs beat us to the punch...which led to Spiels asking about Ramsey, Gibbs said no...we trade for AJ, and now, a few years later, Ramsey may be ours anyway

Boomer I have a question for you....

In the draft forum you listed quite a long list of negatives in Vince Young's game you feel ( & I agree with) will begin to develop doubts with scouts and GM's making him fall down draft boards.

Having said that you still list Vince Young as a player that would be worth us to staying at 16 and drafting him.

With all those negative points in his game which you bring up why do you still see him as a good pick at our position.
I see his negatives making him not a good risk to make at such a high position. Sure he has the potential for a huge upside but I see someone who is such an obvious project as being late 1st value if not early 2nd.

What do I know though, what's your reasoning?

Thanks for all the input you guys put on here.
Whether people agree with you or not isn't the issue, your adding well thought out opinions and it's appreciated.

brees/culpepper

Let's assume that the cost for Drew and Duante is the same cap wise and is more than any other option out there at QB.

I believe talent wise Culpepper has more potential but his injury is more severe. With Ricky out of any trade scenerio it changes our trade ammo for Culpepper

What is the better scenerio:

Brees and we keep or 2nd round pick
Duante and we give up a 2nd maybe more.

IMO it is Drew and keep our 2nd round pick.

vmarcilfan75 said:
im out of the loop on who you are but do you scout players for the pros, website or mainly for fun??:confused: you seem to know alot about all these players :cooldude:

thanks again

Just a guy, just for fun, although you never know.

nick1 said:
do you think Brees will fully recover from his injury and be the same QB? will he be able to be effective for next season

It's the million dollar question mate, quite literally. The prognosis has been good...great actually.....he's 4 weeks ahead of schedule and the Dr's say that his physical strength, youth, etc. plays into a complete 100% recovery. We shall see.

NJPHINFAN said:
didn't we offer a first for him before the ill fated Feeley trade? If I remember this correctly (gonna be 40 in a few weeks, ya know) the Phins wanted to make a run at Brunnell, but Gibbs beat us to the punch...which led to Spiels asking about Ramsey, Gibbs said no...we trade for AJ, and now, a few years later, Ramsey may be ours anyway

Allegedly Jeff. He was certainly in the mix. And you're nailed on right about Brunell, but the asking price was rightly too high IMO for us to get involved.

Happy Birthday BTW my good friend.

Trekbiz said:
Boomer I have a question for you....

In the draft forum you listed quite a long list of negatives in Vince Young's game you feel ( & I agree with) will begin to develop doubts with scouts and GM's making him fall down draft boards.

Having said that you still list Vince Young as a player that would be worth us to staying at 16 and drafting him.

With all those negative points in his game which you bring up why do you still see him as a good pick at our position.
I see his negatives making him not a good risk to make at such a high position. Sure he has the potential for a huge upside but I see someone who is such an obvious project as being late 1st value if not early 2nd.

What do I know though, what's your reasoning?

Thanks for all the input you guys put on here.
Whether people agree with you or not isn't the issue, your adding well thought out opinions and it's appreciated.

Hey Trek....long time mate.

Well, lets start by saying I think Young has the POTENTIAL to be a very good NFL passer. I will be the first to admit that the morning after the Rose Bowl I started a thread in the VIP called 'Vince Young - You Can Play For Me'. Like most people I was caught up in the amazing game, the leadership he showed and the job he did. But after the fuss had died down, I watched the tape again and I saw a very different game. What I saw, despite the loss, was Matt Leinart play a very poor 1st half and a lights out 2nd half, making NFL throws all over the field. I have seen a lot of Leinart both live and on tape and he's a franchise passer, of that I'm convinced. His arm is plenty strong enough, his touch is as good as I've seen in maybe a decade or more and he is a leader. He sees the field beautifully and he knows where the pig needs to go.

When I looked at Young I saw an immense athlete with astonishing feet in terms of run ability, strength on the move, but not an NFL passer. I saw him do a great job of moving the pocket one way and then hitting his outlet David Thomas underneath. I didn't see NFL passes being made or completed. So I put in tapes of his games from the past 2 seasons that I have or recapped the notes I made on the games I didn't tape. And I saw the same thing. I didn't see consistent downfield passing, I saw a lot of underneath stuff, a lot of moving the pocket then hitting the man under the coverage. I saw him take the snap from the gun the majority of times and this season I saw him run 159 times. I saw a phenomenal athlete with the ability to become a good passer, but there was a 'BUT'.

Now, what is the important issue with regards Young is that Miami is a team that isn't too far away from being a contender. Personally I think it will be 2007/8 rather than this forthcoming season but that's beside the point. With the skill position players and the defense, coupled with the obvious improvement that will come to solidify key areas in FA and the draft, Miami could run with Gus Frerotte again at QB. Gus isn't a bad player. OK, so he's not Tom Brady, but he won games. And we play the games to win. If for example we bring in Culpepper, then Gus will almost certainly stay at the helm for 2006 so as to allow that knee to fully heal.

Lets look closer. Gus for example took 49% of the total passing snaps from the shotgun. So Young already is at more of an advantage. With a guy like Gus at the helm, it means that Young gets a year to work with Garrett and Mularkey on the issues such as footwork, release point and just learning to be an NFL QB. The onus isn't on him HAVING to start week 1.

I and CK think he's a mid 1st round value pick and for a team with a need at QB although not a DESPERATE need, then it would represent a solid pick. Lest we not forget that Gus won 9 games last year and but for 2 errors, should have won 2 more. So it's not like we're starting Steven Hawking at QB.

Young is a risk and I'm glad it's not a choice I'd have to make, but had we not sorted out the QB situation in FA, then if he's on the board at 16, then I think Nick will have a hard job not taking him.

Personally and finally, I think our QB situation will be sorted long before the draft, making talk of Young immaterial, meaning we'll be concentrating on Vernon Davis or Winston Justice or Gabe Watson or Brod Bunkley or Cromartie or Tye Hill, etc.

Omaha said:
Let's assume that the cost for Drew and Duante is the same cap wise and is more than any other option out there at QB.

I believe talent wise Culpepper has more potential but his injury is more severe. With Ricky out of any trade scenerio it changes our trade ammo for Culpepper

What is the better scenerio:

Brees and we keep or 2nd round pick
Duante and we give up a 2nd maybe more.

IMO it is Drew and keep our 2nd round pick.

The difference between the 2 injuries is that Brees has a middle range arm, that could be seriously affected by the injury and could force a premature retirement because of the lack of arm strength.

Culpepper's injury doesn't affect what is already a great arm. Now clearly a multiple knee knacker which is what he suffered, will effect his ability to run, to slide the pocket, to plant and make him susceptible to hits. Same thing happened to Marino. You could argue that he wasn't the same player after the knee injury. Now, things medically have moved on dramatically since Danny's injury. You only have to look at Coral Gables and Willis McGahee to see that.

But like you say, you have to weigh up, in a pretty strong draft in areas of Miami need - CB, LB, OL especially - whether we could handle giving up the 2 for Culpepper, when you could get a Pro Bowl starter in Brees essentially for free?

On pure talent, I'm going with Culpepper. If I get a Pro Bowl passer who is healthy and I don't have to give away the 51st pick, then I take Brees.

Boomer said:
It's the million dollar question mate, quite literally. The prognosis has been good...great actually.....he's 4 weeks ahead of schedule and the Dr's say that his physical strength, youth, etc. plays into a complete 100% recovery. We shall see.
You have to factor in too the attitude that Brees seems to have. I dont know how may qbs would have the dedication to change his diet and work out the way he did recently to get more arm streangth. That kind of dedication to the weight room should carry over to his rehab effort and I would imagine its a big part of the reason he is ahead of schedual with the arm.

Back
Top Bottom