Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted) | Page 29 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Ask Boomer (No B.S. Wanted)

also, do you feel that Miami will land Brees at QB? he is a proven QB and he would settle our QB situation. Miami should do what it takes to sign him

Hostile 17 said:
Thank you. I'm starting to get a little uneasy with all this Brees/Culpepper irrational exuberance. I'm not dancing in the streets over either guy (in fact, when it comes to Culpepper, I'm screaming "NOOOO" like a sorority girl in a slasher movie).

I've always thought that Ramsey, Volek or even McCown would be better pickups this off-season, with another eye towards the drafting of Jay Cutler or Charlie Whitehurst.

"Doesn't anybody notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"
- Mugatu

In one of Mort's chats he said that the Skins would want a second round pick for Ramsey.

Picking up an injured QB makes me nervous, but Brees is the best choice right now. He would be ready to play long before Culpepper.

IdahoPhin said:
In one of Mort's chats he said that the Skins would want a second round pick for Ramsey.

Picking up an injured QB makes me nervous, but Brees is the best choice right now. He would be ready to play long before Culpepper.
Brees will be ready by July and the season doesn't start till August when training camp begins. he will be ready

IdahoPhin said:
That's insane; they are definitely off the deep end there. I can't imagine anyone giving more than a 4th rounder for a 3rd string QB (waitaminute...). In any case, they destroyed his trade value with their disdainful treatment of him -- a nuance of the modern NFL that's slipped past Joe Gibbs.

(Sigh) I guess so, but I'm still concerned we get a guy who is 'okay' in here, only to drift in mediocrity for another 3 or 4 seasons before we finally realize he was never very good in the first place.

...and a turd sandwich in a helmet would make a better starting QB for the Miami Dolphins than Daunte Culpepper.

Hostile 17 said:
That's insane; they are definitely off the deep end there. I can't imagine anyone giving more than a 4th rounder for a 3rd string QB (waitaminute...). In any case, they destroyed his trade value with their disdainful treatment of him -- a nuance of the modern NFL that's slipped past Joe Gibbs.

(Sigh) I guess so, but I'm still concerned we get a guy who is 'okay' in here, only to drift in mediocrity for another 3 or 4 seasons before we finally realize he was never very good in the first place.

...and a turd sandwich in a helmet would make a better starting QB for the Miami Dolphins than Daunte Culpepper.

somehow, I just don't think Nick Saban has mediocrity in mind.

nick1 said:
do you guys feel Josh McCown could possibly be our future QB? the Dolphins are interested in him, he put up some good numbers

I don't see it myself. He always flatters to deceive a little. I take the point he has had injuries in front of him and the run game has struggled, but the WR corps is as good as it gets. He is inconsistent, does make some stupid decisions, which I think are down to a lack of vision. He never seems to have a good feel for the position. Like CK says, we both think he's back-up material at best. He's won some games and that's why we suit up, but.........not for me thanks.

Geauxfins said:
Boomer/CK/everyone else with an opinion,
Ok, so what would you suggest and why for these scenario's?
we are close to signing Bree's, and Vince Young slides down to 16 on draft day.....no one else we really want at that pick, but no decent trade offers either....take Young or not?
Same story but with Culpepper...???

Brees or Culpepper will be sorted one way or another by draft day. With FA starting on March 3rd, that's almost 2 months of the signing period. Both will have their futures sorted come draft day, be it with us or with other squads. If we have no significant QB updates on draft day and Young is there - as I think he will be - then you pretty much have to take him.

Boomer said:
What do you mean? Who would have to be gone so I would trade down? I could see us slipping down a few spots ahead of the Pats and taking Tye Hill for sure. I think Young, Davis, Justice, Watson, Bunkley, Greenway, Cromartie and Huff would all have to be gone before I contemplated moving, unless I could slide down say to Denver's 2 picks and grab a Hill and a Jean Gilles, something like that.

I think Lawson would be an excellent pick for this team. Saban has already said that he would have made JT a Hall of Famer had he played in his defensive system all his life. Just imagine getting your very own version of Taylor for you to mould?! Perfect. I think he's another who garners strong consideration at the 16 spot.

What I was asking was...
you are on the clock, who would be your draft board, that would make you turn a deaf ear to any team coming to you looking to get 16th pick?
realistically speaking, what players are NOT worth losing a shot at by trading 16th?
And thanks for the Validation on Manny, he is the perfect fit in our system IMO, and once the Combine is done he should be a legit 16th pick.

Pink_Dove said:
Boomer,
Happy to see you back on the main board or the 'zoo' as you call it. Certainly a relief for us non VIP people. I have 2 questions:

Is their a better fit for us than Rocky Bernard at DT ? I think he just fills in brilliantly and takes over from Traylor until Wright further develops. I do worry a tad bit if he's a one year wonder but he really brought it in the playoffs for the 'Hawks. I'd sign him asap.

Concerning the draft, it seems as if the Michael Huff talk has died down because he'll likely be picked before 16. But if he's available is there any doubt he'd be the pick ? I certainly hope so. If not who do you see as a nice option in the latter rounds ? Pat Watkins and Greg Blue are names you hear alot...You've got to think Nick would love to have a quality safety in the middle to play with on blitzes and stunts. I'm saying this considering what Polamalu and Harrison have done for their respective teams, which is completely change the complexion of their defense and elevate the play of their teamates.

Hi mate,

At 293, he's a bit small to be a full time DT. He's a good, athletic player although the knock is that he's not an every down effort guy. In the rotation, which Nick quite rightly believes in, then yes, switching inside and out he's very solid. But I don't see him as a full time defendive tackle in a 3-4.

Frank Coyle who's one of the more well respected draft people who do this full time says that Saban is a big fan of Huff's. And its easy to see why. If he's on the board, then he's a HUGELY strong possibility. He has been clocked in the past fortnight at 4.37 so if he runs anywhere near that he'll be long gone. But he's the sort of guy that you build a secondary round, either at CB or safety, although he would prefer to play safety in the pros.

Safety has become the most important position on defense now, in part because of the guys you mention, but also because they can see all the field, they are now some of the most athletic guys in sports and the QB's of the defense. Blue and Watkins would be strong candidates, although there is some talk that the Bengals have a liking for Blue. Dwayne Slay is a favourite of CK's and mine. Jimmy Williams is a safety in my mind and would be a strong pick, Jason Allen is flying under a lot of radars, along with Brian Iwuh and Ko Simpson of course, who I like a lot.

Hostile 17 said:
Thank you. I'm starting to get a little uneasy with all this Brees/Culpepper irrational exuberance. I'm not dancing in the streets over either guy (in fact, when it comes to Culpepper, I'm screaming "NOOOO" like a sorority girl in a slasher movie).

I've always thought that Ramsey, Volek or even McCown would be better pickups this off-season, with another eye towards the drafting of Jay Cutler or Charlie Whitehurst.

"Doesn't anybody notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"
- Mugatu

Brees and Culpepper could be excellent options. Ramsey of course, is another. Volek is an interesting name that rarely come sup but possibly should considering the Titans will likely take Cutler.

Boomer said:
Hi mate,

At 293, he's a bit small to be a full time DT. He's a good, athletic player although the knock is that he's not an every down effort guy. In the rotation, which Nick quite rightly believes in, then yes, switching inside and out he's very solid. But I don't see him as a full time defendive tackle in a 3-4.

Frank Coyle who's one of the more well respected draft people who do this full time says that Saban is a big fan of Huff's. And its easy to see why. If he's on the board, then he's a HUGELY strong possibility. He has been clocked in the past fortnight at 4.37 so if he runs anywhere near that he'll be long gone. But he's the sort of guy that you build a secondary round, either at CB or safety, although he would prefer to play safety in the pros.

Safety has become the most important position on defense now, in part because of the guys you mention, but also because they can see all the field, they are now some of the most athletic guys in sports and the QB's of the defense. Blue and Watkins would be strong candidates, although there is some talk that the Bengals have a liking for Blue. Dwayne Slay is a favourite of CK's and mine. Jimmy Williams is a safety in my mind and would be a strong pick, Jason Allen is flying under a lot of radars, along with Brian Iwuh and Ko Simpson of course, who I like a lot.
Boomer,
Have to ask...
This is the second time I have seen you write that. My question, do you think that Saban is considering trading up? Or just by the remote chance he drops to us? Ok, a part b of the question... IS there ANY chance Huff does drop to 16?

vmarcilfan75 said:
draft gurus, what are your thoughts on UCLA RB Maurice Drew?

thanks in advance

Quality 3rd down/change of pace guy. Reminds me some of Brian Westbrook of the Iggles. Great speed, great hands, low centre of gravity, superb change of direction skills. Size is an issue and I don't see him pounding the rock 25 times a game, but used the right way he could be a hell of a pick up or someone.

nick1 said:
also, do you feel that Miami will land Brees at QB? he is a proven QB and he would settle our QB situation. Miami should do what it takes to sign him

I think they'll be frontrunners, provided they get the most thorough of checks done on the labrum and that it works out.

IdahoPhin said:

Ramsey can be had for a 5th/6th rounder. It may not even come to that as financial issues may force his release anyway.

Back
Top Bottom