MERGED: Couch released / Gotta Give Him a Sniff | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Couch released / Gotta Give Him a Sniff

Bonedoc7777 said:
Tim couch has to get at least a sniff, my god the guy was the first pick in the draft,

And Ryan Leaf was the #2 pick the year before.

inFINSible said:
I was making a joke in response to CK's post.....I do not want Tim Couch instead of Fiedler. Fiedler would be a much better back-up than Couch.
I know. see the smiley?

Did anyone ever stop to think about the salary cap during this? They would save money by releasing Fiedler this year but won't they take about a $3 million hit next year, then add what it will take to sign Couch? You are trying to sign Ogunleye to a long term deal, and Chambers and McMichaels will have to be addressed this next offseason as well. Do you really want that much money tied up? Couch isn't going to be dirt cheap, so conceivably you could have over $10 million tied up in QB's next season(counting the dead money from Fiedler). Plus do you release the QB that knows the system and have two new guys learning it?

Couch would be the more talented of the three but I'm just not sure it's a good idea at this point.

KYfinfan said:
Did anyone ever stop to think about the salary cap during this? They would save money by releasing Fiedler this year but won't they take about a $3 million hit next year, then add what it will take to sign Couch? You are trying to sign Ogunleye to a long term deal, and Chambers and McMichaels will have to be addressed this next offseason as well. Do you really want that much money tied up? Couch isn't going to be dirt cheap, so conceivably you could have over $10 million tied up in QB's next season(counting the dead money from Fiedler). Plus do you release the QB that knows the system and have two new guys learning it?

Couch would be the more talented of the three but I'm just not sure it's a good idea at this point.

This is too logical for some of our posters..It's June, does anyone remember B. Griese trying to learn our system last year starting around this time. If we cut Fielder for Couch and Feeley went down..Our play book would really have to be shorten to have a June cut QB take over in the season. This is a different system and sometimes QB's don't fit all systems. Feeley's still trying to get adjusted and he's been here since March, think about a QB who gets here in June.

dolphindan1970 said:
Im with you ! And I can say Tim is an excellent QB. I watched him all through college in Kentucky and the guy is a very good QB, he had impressive numbers at UK, and thats with a otherwise bad team.

Can you please outline Couch's strengths and weaknesses. If you have watched him for so long you should be pretty aware.

I'll tell you right now the weaknesses far outweigh the strengths. Tim Couch has shown nothing in the NFL that a journeyman backup hasn't.

That is what happens sometimes when a top tier rookie qb is made to play instantly. He starts off negatively and is put under heavy scrutiny and is expected to win because he is drafted in the top 5. But it really takes a whole team to win or lose games.Wasnt Cleve a new team when he was drafted. I thought he looked much sharper tha Fiedler in the games I watched last year. I HOPE Feeley is better.. GO FINS COME ON TRAINING CAMP......

fin-atic said:
I'll play along.

I would take Couch over Fiedler any day.

Couch/ Feeley in 2004!!

Fiedler is the worst QB in Miami history and the team owes it to the fans to get him out. Enough is enough.

BUMP! :)

Samphin said:
Worst QB in Miami history? I don't know Fin-atic. There is some stiff competition for that spot. Scott Mitchell, Steve DeBerg, Cade Mcnown, Ray Lucas and Scott Stankavage. Also, don't forget about Dick Wood who played for us in 1966. :lol: I love that name. Anyhow, we have had some clunkers in our history, Fiedler is certainly better than some of those names no?

I'd go:

1. (duh)
2. Griese
3. Woodstrock (based on SB performance alone)
4. Fiedler

Bodzilla29 said:
Can you please outline Couch's strengths and weaknesses. If you have watched him for so long you should be pretty aware.

I'll tell you right now the weaknesses far outweigh the strengths. Tim Couch has shown nothing in the NFL that a journeyman backup hasn't.

I did a comparison once using the NFL.com stats....Fiedler & Couch were remarkable similar, but considering Couch was a 1st rounder that speaks both poorly of Couch & well of Fiedler...

I reckon it won't hurt Couch in the likely event he does go to Green Bay and play backup to Favre for a year or two. If Green Bay is still the team it has been in QB development, it might be a clever move for everyone involved.

The biggest problem with it, for Couch, is he's not going to see any gametime until Favre decides to call it a day.

I know this is going to get all manner of abuse but I think Drew Brees is a more capable QB (in what I've seen of them both, which isn't an awful lot I have to admit) and he should be cheap next season.

Anyway, I've got some sort of misguided blind faith in A.J. Feeley and his ability to be a quality starting QB in the NFL. I've yet to see any footage of him playing for the Eagles and be unimpressed. Here's hoping my warped blind faith is justified.

Oh, and as far as replacing Jay Fiedler goes, that whole argument about his knowing the system is a huge advantage over any other QBs. He is a good stand in quarterback but he shouldn't really be starting in any team with deep playoff aspirations. That's not even a slur on his ability but rather his health.

I should shut up now. I've babbled on enough about something I know nothing about.

Back
Top Bottom