MERGED: Dwight Freeney Please!! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Dwight Freeney Please!!

Should Ireland look into Freeney as a free agent signing?

• Yes

Votes: 49 61.3%
  • No

Votes: 31 38.8%

• Total voters
If he comes cheap I'd take him as a situational player, absolutely. Think Strahan with the 07 Giants, wasn't a great player but he was a great leader and played very well on 3rd down.

If he comes cheap I'd take him as a situational player, absolutely. Think Strahan with the 07 Giants, wasn't a great player but he was a great leader and played very well on 3rd down.

Agreed. If anything, it's another player to add to the defensive line rotation. With us, that has been one of our biggest assets on defense - the ability to keep players fresh.

by elite level do you mean the 12 tackles he had last season or was it his 5 sacks?freeney...14 games....5 sacks...12 tackleshughes 16 games...4 sacks...41 tacklesmathis 12 games....8 sacks...33 tacklesfreeney was the third best de on his own team last seasonyet everyone is falling in love with what freeney use to be not what he's becomeand at 38 in october he's just over the hill
no im saying he was not in his natural position last year

BY ELITE LEVEL DO YOU MEAN THE 12 TACKLES HE HAD LAST SEASON OR WAS IT HIS 5 SACKS?

Freeney...14 games....5 sacks...12 tackles
Hughes 16 games...4 sacks...41 tackles
Mathis 12 games....8 sacks...33 tackles

Freeney was the third best de on his own team last season

Yet everyone is falling in love with what Freeney USE TO BE NOT WHAT HE'S BECOME

and at 38 in October he's just over the hill

in freeney's defense, he was put in a defensive scheme that doesnt fit him as a player... they had him playing LB in the 3-4 defense that they changed to and he is a pure 4-3 DE. Hes not like wake and can do both.

BY ELITE LEVEL DO YOU MEAN THE 12 TACKLES HE HAD LAST SEASON OR WAS IT HIS 5 SACKS?

Yet everyone is falling in love with what Freeney USE TO BE NOT WHAT HE'S BECOME

He isn't 38 nor was he born in October so....

First of all, 2012 was the first year in his career that he played 3-4 outside linebacker.
Second, he had 42 sacks between 2008-2011. 8.5 sacks in 2011, one of his "drop off" years.
Where do you get the indication that he is done?

Go look at his slope. Last year he only had 5. His production over the last 4 years in sacks has gone from 13.5, 10, 8.5, and 5....if that isn't declining...then what is? The guy is over the hill....and I could care less about first year in 3-4...he does one thing...rush the passer.

Last few years Freeney has been a shadow of his former self, but will more than likely still command top DE money.....I say pass

Yea let's sign a big name, old DE to an expensive short term contract. Great.

not happening. word is we are looking to get younger.

Ansah or Okafor works for me in upper crust of draft aside from moore and werner.

if Okafor at 42 its a good pick. 54 is the bomb.

Call me crazy but I would rather spend a couple 7th's on DE's Caleb Schreibeis and Mike Catapano, and sign Desmond Bryant and keep Odrick playing mostly end. Give Vernon and Shelby another shot at earning some snaps.

I would also sign Antwaan Barnes and draft Travis Long to be pass rushing LB's. Then bring on a monster hybrid defense.

For th e right price Freeney makes alot of sense.It gives us a short term ans. opp. Wake,it allows us to address other needs at 12,buys time to see if Vernon, or Shelby are any good! Depending on who we lose in free agency this year we could end up with multiple supp. picks.If you package them up along with our first next year you have shot at J.Clowney from South Caralina instead of going after 3rd and 4th rd guys this year Hunt,Gholston,Simon,Goodman.Solidify the secondary this year Freeney makes a ton of sense

Another poster already pointed out the decline in Freeny's performance even before last year's change in defense from 4-3. If he comes cheap (I doubt it) he's worth a look. I don't want us picking up a big name and "check" the box that we're done. We need a real pass rusher to go with Wake and at best he is a short term answer and at worst a time-wasting illusion.

He was a great player but I'd pass.

Lol at people thinking Freeney would take a minimum contract, he's a future hall of famer who can still play at a high level who's also not that old. At 32, he's only a year older than Wake and look at how much he makes, now I don't think it'll take a huge DEAL to entice Freeney to come to Miami but we must be fair and offering Freeney the vet minimum is just an insult. We're not the Miami Heat guys, we can't make people take less money than they're worth.

Where'd you get 38 from? He is 2 days away from 33.

Back
Top Bottom