MERGED: ESPN 30 for 30 "Elway to Marino" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: ESPN 30 for 30 "Elway to Marino"

I couldn't catch it, does anyone know if it will be released on demand? Or on their website?

Watching it now...Looking in the crowd to see if I can see myself.

I didn't see myself. But At the time I was on the local NYC news. They were interviewing jet fans and I was in the back ground.

Another bit I notice regarding the special.
I was at the Draft.
in 84 I went to St Thomas U, ( where the fins trained at the time) And saw about 5 of the home games that year.
85 I was back in Jersey and drove down to Miami for the AFC Champ game.
Then in 86 I was at the 51-45 game in the Meadowlands.

I was surprised to see all the other pro-bowl players in that draft.

One of the craziest things in that whole documentary: Rozelle secretly squashing the Bears - Raiders trade to keep Al Davis from getting the necessary picks to trade to the Colts for Elway. Davis had that lawsuit pending against the NFL for blocking his move and Rozelle got him back an got him good.

Elway watched "All My Children" with 10 of his friends? Yikes...

What do you expect when daytime soap diva known as Erica Kane was more likable to Elway than the Baltimore Colts owner?

I enjoyed the documentary and learned some cool things about the 1983 NFL Draft. The Jets will always remember two things about Marino: 1. 1983 NFL Draft 2. Fake Spike game winning TD

Elway? I didn't really care much for Elway.

I haven't seen the program yet but I do remember that draft. It started early in the morning on a Tuesday. Great anticipation, due to the Elway situation and so many premier players available. Curt Warner and Eric Dickerson were fantastic backs. In that era the colleges were spitting out terrific backs almost every season and they dominated the spotlight, and high first round. It went from Tony Dorsett and Ricky Bell to Earl Campbell to Billy Sims to George Rogers to Marcus Allen (later pick) and then Warner/Dickerson. I'm still in disbelief at how much has changed in that regard. Never would have happened, minus the rules changes and interpretation.

I was in the midst of a move and lacked ESPN briefly. I had to ask a friend if I could watch at his house. He agreed. He and his wife left for work. I remember being cautious all day, almost afraid to touch anything. :lol:

Nobody thought Marino would slip that far but it wasn't exactly a given that Miami would pick a quarterback, or would prioritize one. Don't let anybody fool you into believing it was a certainty. The pre draft speculation in Miami was on other positions. Only when Marino began to slip dramatically did I look at the board and wonder if he could make it all the way. I always love players who were once rated extremely high, and then slip due to late overreaction. Marino was a legend at Pitt but once he had a dreary 1982 opener against North Carolina in a rare nationally televised prime time Friday night game, questions arose and his stock started to fall. Bobby Beathard said he pushed the ball. His release on draft day was being questioned more than praised.

BTW, I'm not sure if they used this clip but the first time Marino was interviewed after being drafted by the Dolphins he came across as kind of an aloof kid, saying it would be a good opportunity to "go down there and work on my tan."

BTW, I'm not sure if they used this clip but the first time Marino was interviewed after being drafted by the Dolphins he came across as kind of an aloof kid, saying it would be a good opportunity to "go down there and work on my tan."

They did. Now, he comes off like a player with tremendous SWAG. The Raiders got jobbed on Elway and then they claimed in the doc that if Al Davis hadn't been preoccupied with the lawsuit he would have nabbed Marino with his second pick in the round. Missed on Elway and Marino. Unreal. Good show.

grew up as an OJ fan, plus they were no real threat back then

Great documentary. One thing I never realized was just how ****y Elway was when he was young. Just watching him in those interviews and press conferences...that guy had some balls...it was very different from Eli Manning not wanting to play for the Chargers. Even my wife commented on his arrogance when we watched it last night. LOL

Same thing I said. Unbelievable. Thank God the jest didn't pick Marino. Dan is main reason I became a Dolphins fan

I remember watching that draft and as Marino was slipping I said my worst nightmare will come true. The Jets were going to select him. When jets were on the clock, I had to lose 10 yrs of my life. Once they passed on him I could honestly say it was one of the best days in my life. The hatred for the jets goes back to the 70's for me. My only question is why didn't miami trade up to oak in front of the jets? Why risk the jets getting him? Made no sense at all.

I think the bigger story from this documentary is to realize how a terrible owner can destroy a franchise.

Let football people be football people, and business people do business.

I almost never stay up to 10pm I wake up way to early but that was definitely worth it loved it. Everyone already pointed out majority of stuff BUT how about all the ash trays at the draft tables haha so funny cant imagine watching the draft today and guys sitting there smokin cigs.

dang, i missed this. Anyone know how i can watch this after the fact?

Back
Top Bottom