MERGED: ESPN 30 for 30 "Elway to Marino" | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: ESPN 30 for 30 "Elway to Marino"

dang, i missed this. Anyone know how i can watch this after the fact?

I'm guessing it will probably be run again at some time. You can always I guess wait for the DVD to come out?

I have the first 30 original 30 for 30's on DVD set. Worth every penny, defenitly documentaries I will show my kids (once I have kids). LOL!

Might leak out on youtube or something?

That was a great documentary. Learned so many different new things. Highly recommend it!

great show! a lot of draft drama with a group of nfl greats, couldn't believe some of the stuff I never knew took place(marino- usfl,drug scandal, almost a raider or jet wow!) jim Kelly and Elway craziness! this is a must see

Elway was extremely ****y, as someone mentioned. It was his mannerisms as much as his words. I was a student at USC and even the sorority girls who didn't know anything about football said they hated John Elway because he was so arrogant. When he played right field for the Stanford baseball team, at least a few dozen USC fans would climb to the top of the nearby parking garage alongside Dedeaux Field at USC, so they could yell abuse at Elway the entire game. He would stand there not 30 feet away and take all of it. He literally removed his cap and ran his fingers threw his hair after every pitch. I remember one girl yelled at him, "What's your major -- grooming?"

Granted, there was tremendous animosity at USC toward Stanford because they had ruined our 1979 season and denied a second consecutive national championship, somehow rallying from 21-0 down at halftime to draw at 21-21. Elway had nothing to do with it. He played in the first half as a freshman but was ineffective. Elway was replaced by Turk Schonert, who led the rally.

It was a joke that Elway threatened to play baseball. He was perhaps the 6th best player on Stanford's excellent team. Very good arm, obviously, but he looked bottom heavy and sluggish on the base paths.

I'm interested to watch this show now that the thread indicates there was plenty of behind the scenes footage. I'm glad they apparently used the clip of Marino saying he wanted to work on his tan. That night on Miami sportstalk radio, that quote was what everyone focused on.

That was an excellent film/documentary. Using Demeroff's notes was a great way to tell the story of the 83 draft.

I saw Elway play single A ball that summer while I was visiting family in Oneonta, NY. He was OK, had some potential.

The Yankees could have had Elway in right and Bo Jackson in center field. They also had Willie McGee in the system.

Elway was extremely ****y, as someone mentioned. It was his mannerisms as much as his words. I was a student at USC and even the sorority girls who didn't know anything about football said they hated John Elway because he was so arrogant. When he played right field for the Stanford baseball team, at least a few dozen USC fans would climb to the top of the nearby parking garage alongside Dedeaux Field at USC, so they could yell abuse at Elway the entire game. He would stand there not 30 feet away and take all of it. He literally removed his cap and ran his fingers threw his hair after every pitch. I remember one girl yelled at him, "What's your major -- grooming?"

Granted, there was tremendous animosity at USC toward Stanford because they had ruined our 1979 season and denied a second consecutive national championship, somehow rallying from 21-0 down at halftime to draw at 21-21. Elway had nothing to do with it. He played in the first half as a freshman but was ineffective. Elway was replaced by Turk Schonert, who led the rally.

It was a joke that Elway threatened to play baseball. He was perhaps the 6th best player on Stanford's excellent team. Very good arm, obviously, but he looked bottom heavy and sluggish on the base paths.

I'm interested to watch this show now that the thread indicates there was plenty of behind the scenes footage. I'm glad they apparently used the clip of Marino saying he wanted to work on his tan. That night on Miami sportstalk radio, that quote was what everyone focused on.

Interesting stuff Awsi. I think you hit the nail on the head with Elway...it was the way he carried himself and "how" he said things that came off as arrogant. And you can tell he was enabled b/c he did a lot of this with his dad standing right there. He looked like a pretty boy who thought very highly of himself...seriously it was almost like a character you'd see in one of those teenage movies (the cool preppy guys/jocks in Revenge of the Nerds)...it was pretty fascinating to me at least. As for baseball, I knew he had played and was drafted, but wasn't aware that he was a 1st round draft pick of the Yanks (and apparently led Stanford in steals in his final year).

Regarding Marino, they showed the clip about the tan but didn't really focus on it much. My reaction to that was a smile/smirk as I saw Marino as a young kid just being a little ****y and having some fun...kind of like Gronkowski today.

It was OK.

Some of the quotes/clips they had on Marino had me laughing. He was arrogant, but in a funny way..I found. Elway came off like a spoiled little prick.

I wish they had a bit more on Marino as well. It was pretty much 40 min of Elway, 10 min of every other QB.

it was funny seeing how pissed jets fans were that their team took ken o'brien instead of marion. Even jets fans wanted or hoped they could get marino. haha, their loss

Interesting stuff Awsi. I think you hit the nail on the head with Elway...it was the way he carried himself and "how" he said things that came off as arrogant. And you can tell he was enabled b/c he did a lot of this with his dad standing right there. He looked like a pretty boy who thought very highly of himself...seriously it was almost like a character you'd see in one of those teenage movies (the cool preppy guys/jocks in Revenge of the Nerds)...it was pretty fascinating to me at least. As for baseball, I knew he had played and was drafted, but wasn't aware that he was a 1st round draft pick of the Yanks (and apparently led Stanford in steals in his final year).

Regarding Marino, they showed the clip about the tan but didn't really focus on it much. My reaction to that was a smile/smirk as I saw Marino as a young kid just being a little ****y and having some fun...kind of like Gronkowski today.

Yeah, that was the new preppy era and Elway was a prototype. Stanford wasted no time marketing him. After a solid but unspectacular freshman year, Elway went into Norman early in 1980 and destroyed Oklahoma as a big underdog. The Sooners had a long home winning streak and were ranked very high, but never in the game. Elway sat there in the shotgun all day, which was rare at the time, and picked Oklahoma apart. Switzer was never shy about praising opponents and he gushed over Elway for weeks. The media really picked up on it. Elway was already a whispered legend coming out of high school but that Oklahoma game raised him to another level and it was always a given he'd be the top pick in the 1983 draft from that point forth. Marino made a push late in 1980 and through 1981 but never threatened Elway's perch or legend.

Part of it was Stanford itself. I probably sensed that more than most as a student of a rival school in the Pac 10. They love to imply themselves as superior in academics and everything else. The overall athletic program is dominant. Heck, they attracted Tiger Woods, Michelle Wie and now Lydia Ko wants to go there. From volleyball to water polo to women's basketball they are basically great at everything. Other than football, obviously. The band receives mixed reviews, although I love it. Even if the football team wasn't racking up wins they'd let you know about Jim Plunkett's legacy, and then the golden boy John Elway.

My friends and I from USC crashed on the floor of a home in Palo Alto in fall 1980 in the days prior to the USC/Stanford game. Two 40ish cougars owned the home, although I didn't know the term cougar at the time. One of them had a teenage daughter who couldn't have been more arrogant herself: "Wait until you see our quarterback. He's going to pick you apart." I laughed, and sarcastically told her there was a minor difference in caliber of the two teams. I had USC -7 points. Game started out comfy, with USC leading something like 13-0 and dominating the trenches. Then Elway scrambled 15 or 20 yards deep in his backfield. It looked certain to be a huge sack, almost like Griese against the Cowboys, then Elway somehow escaped. He launched a laser from the sideline that traveled at least 60 or 65 yards. Ronnie Lott fell asleep. Our entire legendary secondary assumed the player was over. We had Lott, Dennis Smith, Joey Browner and Jeff Fisher. Yes, that Jeff Fisher. They allowed Ken Margerum to get behind them and it ended up a freak touchdown. Stanford fans call it, "The Throw," and say it was the most remarkable play of Elway's career. Many of them still insist it was superior to any play he made in the NFL. USC fans had to endure 5 or 10 consecutive minutes of Stanford euphoria. But as the game settled we physically whooped up on them and won handily, by at least 3 touchdowns. I forget the final but my bet was never in jeopardy.

Regarding Elway as a baseball player, I didn't realize he led the team in steals his final year. I was one year ahead. Perhaps he improved after I saw him. In the games I saw him play at USC over a 2 or 3 year period, Elway was just another guy on the baseball field. He hit lefty, as I recall. That was an oddity. I remember being shocked the first time I saw it.

Just got done watching on DVR. ... I knew a little about the reasons that Marino fell down the draft board (senior year struggles, rumored drug problems) but I was surpised about the information about the Raiders. Seems like he would have been an ideal Al Davis pick with his huge arm. Especially since (according to the documentry) the agent and Davis seemed pretty familiar.

I watched the tape of the program tonight. A few observations:

* I was surprised they allowed so much weight to the Marino drug rumors but it was appropriate. I've mentioned several times that two of my friends were sons of the Dolphin defensive line coach and defensive back coach. Every year we'd hear draft whispers from them. By 1983 several of us had graduated college and were back in Miami. Lots of bar hopping together for a while. One night I was told the son of the defensive back coach was in town. I'm not sure if he had graduated yet. It might have been his spring break. It was several weeks or a months prior to the draft. Anyway, we met him at a restaurant on Key Biscayne. He was at the outdoor bar with his girlfriend. Eventually the discussion turned to the draft, and then Dan Marino. My friend said point blank that Marino was on drugs, that it was well known, and his stock was plunging. He implied that the Dolphins therefore would have no interest. I remember being stunned. I stared blankly out into space. This was the first I'd heard of this. I assumed the info came from Blesto, the big scouting service of that era that the Dolphins and most teams had used for a decade or more. When Ron Wolf said tonight that the Raiders were hearing all this information about Marino in the late going I knew what he meant, because that's the time frame I heard it. When I asked my friend the coach's son about it the next time I saw him, at Christmas 1985, he shrugged and claimed the Dolphins weren't sure themselves that it wasn't true but they were willing to risk it.

* It was fascinating to hear that so many teams were involved, including the Montana aspect, and especially the Raiders and the nixed deal. Al Davis must really have been distracted if he was asking if Elway could throw deep. That's like asking if Usain Bolt has long strides.

* Eugene Klein, the Chargers' owner, was depicted poorly in this program but he had an extraordinary career with widespread interests. Klein bought high priced racehorses and hooked up with legendary southern California trainer D. Wayne Lukas. Klein's filly Winning Colors won the Kentucky Derby in 1988.

* I had no idea Denver was involved so early. If you freeze frame Demoff's diary early in the program, there's a notation on March 8 that he talked to Dan Reeves and that Denver is very interested in acquiring Elway. In real time I never heard anything about Denver until the final days

* Marino was smiling and obviously having fun with the interviewer when he said he'd, "work on my tan." I hadn't remembered it that way. Poorly receiving that line aligned with the Marino reputation that spring, of a kid who had slipped badly as a senior and might be a bit of a goof, and a risk. Not everyone viewed it as a steal at that point. It wasn't until the lasers in August.

* Some of those players on the scroll deserved better than they got in the summary flash. Curt Warner was a phenomenal back until badly injuring his knee in 1984. In fact, Warner was largely responsible for Seattle's win over Marino as an 8.5 point underdog in the 1983 playoff game at the Orange Bowl. Warner made a comeback but was never the same player. At the end of the 1983 season he was considered on a par with Dickerson, at worst.

* It was strange to see an appearance from Chuck Connor, the Dolphins' player personnel director in the late '70s and into the '80s. I hadn't heard anything about him for decades.

* At the outset of the program they show Elway tossing a ball in warmups then immediately running his left hand sideways through his long blond hair. That's exactly what I saw at those baseball games, after every pitch when he was a right fielder. Remove the cap then run the hand through the hair.

* That was a Miami Herald columnist who described the details of the Bills' secretary taking the phone call and screwing up the process of Jim Kelly signing his contract after the draft, allowing the USFL to enter the picture. Bob Rubin was a long time Herald writer and columnist, often covering the Dolphins

I always thought Elway was a bit of a douche. But, after watching this I realize my perception of him was off. He is a HUGE douche.

Elway was a jerk but the Colts were hardly any franchise. They were an increasing laughing stock for years. And it was such a dramatic decline. That was the shocking aspect. In the mid to late '70s they were one of the most popular teams in the league, with a great young quarterback in Bert Jones, and popular players' coach in Ted Marchibroda. It looked like that duo would be together for another decade, and always a pest to the Dolphins.

Then Jones got hurt in the late '70s. Marchibroda stopped winning games and the fans turned on him. He was fired. After a couple of terrible seasons when Jones attempted a comeback but wasn't close to healthy, Jones was jettisoned and the Colts made a controversial decision to hire Frank Kush. He was successful at Arizona State but not necessarily popular outside the state. Reputation of a disciplinarian with questionable ethics. A huge scandal prompted his ouster from Arizona State. It was somewhat similar to the Mike Leach case at Texas Tech a few years ago. Kush was charged with punching a player. I think he covered it up. Fans were on his side but the administration felt Kush was out of control and they had to let him go. A lawsuit followed. Kush was blackballed in the short term and had to find work in the CFL. Nobody thought he would get a big job so quickly then the Colts hired him. It was unbelievable. They didn't win a game in Kush's first season, strike shortened 1982.

Don't think of the Colts as just another team in spring 1983, with no problems associated with them. That's what I'm saying. Rogue owner and rogue head coach. The '81 and '82 Colts were horrendous, setting records in points and touchdowns allowed, along with sacks allowed and sacks for. The reason they needed Chris Hinton was their offensive line was a disaster. The Elways knew all about that. It doesn't automatically translate three decades later. I thought the program erred in not spotlighting it.

Back
Top Bottom