MERGED: Gannon? / Trade Fiedler for Gannon | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Gannon? / Trade Fiedler for Gannon

If the Raiders to keep Gannon and he is a back up, then the Raiders would be paying 7 million for a back up

Rich Gannon is not a weak-armed quarterback. If you think so, you haven't seen him throw deep. He's a quarterback that has excellent touch and a great selection of throwing motions. He could easily play in this offense...at the very least execute it better than Jay Fiedler. That is, he could if he weren't over the hill. Whether he is over the hill or not, is up for debate. But the 2002 Rich Gannon could easily execute this offense. The 2003 Gannon, maybe, maybe not. Remember that in the first half of Brad Johnson's career he was known as injury-prone, so just because he is younger it does not mean that he is better than Gannon. Everyone has a different age when they finally start losing it. They are both one year removed from having career years, however Gannon's career year just about broke Marino's single-season yardage mark and earned him MVP consideration, whereas Johnson's career year brought him a super bowl on a team dominated by their extremely dominant defense (almost as good as the Ravens' defense in 2000).

The reality is that both of them could be at that point where they'll never be effective again. What I was saying is that if Johnson still has anything left in the tank, he would probably be the better option for us because it is damn near June, and Johnson already knows the offense terminology and playbook, whereas Gannon would have to start learning it NOW. We saw how well that worked for Griese...who didn't even perform as well here as he did in Denver those last few years.

I think Gannon's main problem with his long ball last year was that Porter was the only guy fast enough and can catch his long ball. Porter was injured a long time last year.

Yeah and so was Gannon if I'm not mistaken. Take Porter away from that offense and you've got two old receivers who can't get off the press coverage...and Tim Brown is losing his abilities FAST whereas Rice has been blessed enough that it has been more gradual and drawn out.

LOL you know whats funny. People point to Gannon's 2003 season and say its a sign he's washed up, but it was still better than Fiedler's 2003 season. He had a point on him on the QB rating...and Gannon was working with two ancient WRs who couldn't ever get off the press coverage, because Jerry Porter was injured a bunch of time, and I believe Gannon dealt with some injury issues while he played those 7 games.

One thing Brown isn't, is Rice. However who is. Brown is an amazing wide reciever that will probably be forgotten.

Saying that, both should retire.

I would love to have Gannon. The only problem I would have is the log jam at qb. I would only get Gannon if Miami gets rid of Fielder. However that puts Gannon two QB schools behind.

Holy crap, I can't believe I'm typing this but...as a back-up...I would choose...Fiedler..over...Gannon. I should give myself 40 lashes for typing that...

I'll tell you right away that I'm the biggest Fiedler hater there is. President of the Anti-Jay fan club..always will be. But if we're talking back-up and that's assuming Feely wins the job by opening day, then it's going to be better to keep Fiedler around. He knows the offense and as proven himself as a decent back-up QB (Notice I said "back-up") It makes no sence to get rid of Fiedler and have Gannon come in with no knowledge of the O, and strickly relagate him to backing up Feely. Now if you wanted to sign Gannon for a min. offer, have him come in and compete for the starting job, then if it doesn't work out cut him, then that would be fine with me. To me that makes more sence, but with out cap room and with Gannon's demands for a contract, I don't see it happening....

Back
Top Bottom