MERGED: Gannon? / Trade Fiedler for Gannon | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Gannon? / Trade Fiedler for Gannon

pigskinguy said:
So what you are saying is you would rather a guy who MIGHT become better than he is now, although it's possible what we have seen is the best he's got, instead of a guy who is a proven MVP QB in this league. Sorry man, but I have to side with the proven guy on this one.

OK then lets bring back Dan!!! People get older dude. Face it Jay is our starter this year. If ya want to trade AJ for Gannon then I would be interested at looking into it, but to trade someone as good as Jay for a over the hill Gannon is not too bright :shakeno:

Disgustipate said:
Please, dont give me that crap. You have no idea what Fiedler may or may not be capable of. The guy you are suggestion had been WORSE then Fiedler up until where he is currently.

You're right....Rich Gannon was a failure with no arm until late in his career (last 3-4 years or so).....

And with Gannon heading the Oakland West Coast OFfense, he was able to succeed without being able to throw the deep ball...

In the NFL you never know what can happen...

I think it's possible Fiedler can become the next-type player. Gannon was a career backup until he was 32 years old. Physically, he is(was) very similar to Fiedler. Has decent running ability, but knows WHEN to run. Poor long range balls, but pretty good short/mid range accuracy.

Wrong. Gannon has awesome short range accuracy while Jays is average, and Gannon is far better than Fiedler throwing midrange passes. He also reads the game a million times better.

Fiedler has had a long time and has done nothing. When Gannon was given his first true chance, he took it.

Jimmy James said:
It's good to see that somebody here isn't sharing Ricky's stash. I'm sick of this "go with the devil we don't know" talk. Anybody knows that you go with the devil you know because at least that way you know what to expect. Jay Fiedler is a known quantity whose presence means 10 wins a year on average. If we were talking about any chance of bringing in a guy who could run whatever our system is who might be an upgrade, that would be one thing. That guy isn't Rich Gannon, though. I really hope that Billy Joe Hobert doesn't decide to make a comeback attempt because somebody around here would probably want to go with him over Jay... :rolleyes:

Edit to add: Rich Gannon winning the MVP meant two things to me:

1) QB play is waaay overvalued
2) Somebody had a bone to pick with Priest Holmes

Rich Gannon passed for a ton of yardage that season. He was on pace to break Marino's record for passing yards in a season for a long time. Marino even said on TV that he thought Gannon would break it. Holmes was very good in 2002 but he missed some games and he played on a losing team. Players who are on losing teams aren't going to get the MVP award. Gannon's team made the playoffs and had a bye week. He was great in 2002 and deserved the MVP.

Mebeverine said:
Wrong. Gannon has awesome short range accuracy while Jays is average, and Gannon is far better than Fiedler throwing midrange passes. He also reads the game a million times better.

Fiedler has had a long time and has done nothing. When Gannon was given his first true chance, he took it.

:roflmao:

NCFINFAN38 said:
OK then lets bring back Dan!!! People get older dude. Face it Jay is our starter this year. If ya want to trade AJ for Gannon then I would be interested at looking into it, but to trade someone as good as Jay for a over the hill Gannon is not too bright :shakeno:

Dan's coming back? :up: :woot:

Forget Rich Gannon. If he gets booted in Oakland he would probably follow Gruden to Tampa. What I would watch for in that scenario, is Brad Johnson. Unlike Feeley, he already knows and has plenty of experience with the numbers system that the Phins use for their playbook. We're running Norv Turner's playbook, and Brad Johnson had some of his best years under Turner. He also is only one year removed from a Super Bowl year, where he made the offense happen without a running game, or an offensive line that could protect him. Last year, he again got beat up because of the OL's inability to pass protect (see the massive overhaul tampa did to their OL) and this time around he had all the controversy at WR with Keenan McCardell gettin a year older and Keyshawn bytching, getting deactivated, etc.

ckparrothead said:
Forget Rich Gannon. If he gets booted in Oakland he would probably follow Gruden to Tampa. What I would watch for in that scenario, is Brad Johnson. Unlike Feeley, he already knows and has plenty of experience with the numbers system that the Phins use for their playbook. We're running Norv Turner's playbook, and Brad Johnson had some of his best years under Turner. He also is only one year removed from a Super Bowl year, where he made the offense happen without a running game, or an offensive line that could protect him. Last year, he again got beat up because of the OL's inability to pass protect (see the massive overhaul tampa did to their OL) and this time around he had all the controversy at WR with Keenan McCardell gettin a year older and Keyshawn bytching, getting deactivated, etc.
Yes this something I have thought about since starting this thread (Which was half in jest....) Johnson would be an upgrade to our QB's. Gannon was an agurable upgrage, but Johnson would unquestionable be better than what we have IMO.

Gannon and Johnson probably have about as much talent, maybe Gannon still has the edge actually IMO, however Johnson would be more ready to help us this season than Gannon IMO because of the familiarity with the system.

But, unless an injury happens, I doubt the Phins would do it. That would make our QB situation too crowded, with the dolphins paying out starting compensation for 3 QBs. The only way it works, is if we dump Fiedler, but given his strong mini-camp performances, it doesn't look like that will happen soon.

ckparrothead said:
Gannon and Johnson probably have about as much talent, maybe Gannon still has the edge actually IMO, however Johnson would be more ready to help us this season than Gannon IMO because of the familiarity with the system.

But, unless an injury happens, I doubt the Phins would do it. That would make our QB situation too crowded, with the dolphins paying out starting compensation for 3 QBs. The only way it works, is if we dump Fiedler, but given his strong mini-camp performances, it doesn't look like that will happen soon.
I think at this stage in their careeres Johnson is much better than Gannon, just MO.
I agree that we won't go after either tho. Like it or lump it, this all just stuff to talk about. The FO, agree or not, I believe are 100% satisfied at the QB position.

I dont even understand why this thread is still going with Norv naming Rich the starter with it being Collins team next year. Rich will be a Raider, which means Brad will be a Buc, which means AJ or Jay will be our starter. This thread is now pointless

Fins2theend said:
I dont even understand why this thread is still going with Norv naming Rich the starter with it being Collins team next year. Rich will be a Raider, which means Brad will be a Buc, which means AJ or Jay will be our starter. This thread is now pointless

Yeah but it's May and we're bored. :sleep:

Stick a fork in Gannon, please.....he is DONE.

Here we go again, fans see a name they have heard of before and all of a sudden it's "Gee, I hope Miami gets him..."

Rich Gannon - Miami Dolphins
Square Peg - Round Hole

Makes no sense. If you have vertical offensive game plan then don't ya think you should have a QB that can throw the ball longer than 20 yards?

Rich Gannon is being called the starter right now, but if anybody actually believes (barring major injury) that the Raiders are paying Collins $5M a year to play backup at 31 in a system he can thrive in is absolutely the most gullable person I have ever known when it comes to the handling of the media. Not every word spoken by NFL franchises should be believed, and this Gannon thing is one of them.

Rich Gannon CANNOT execute a Norv Turner offense.

Rich Gannon will most likely fade into obscurity....

Back
Top Bottom