MERGED: Gannon? / Trade Fiedler for Gannon | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Gannon? / Trade Fiedler for Gannon

iceblizzard69 said:
It would be stupid to trade for someone who will get cut. I doubt we would sign Gannon since he is suited for a West Coast Offense.
Feeley was suited to a West Coast offense back in Philly. :D

But I still dont think we should/are going to pick up Gannon. Whoever doesn't start, either Feeley or Fiedler, will make a good backup to whoever does start.

IF Fiedler starts, we all know how likely it is Fiedler will get stay healthy. :lol:

RevRick said:
If that's the only criteria, we ought to bring back Marino. If Gannon goes anywhere, it will probably be Tampa Bay - and I'd rather have B. Johnson than Gannon at this stage of their careers. I think some of us are grasping at straws because of our lack of trust in Fiedler - and I don't think can get the job done either. We have had four years of collapses during the season, either from an injury or from a case of intellectual flatulence. But, the plain simple fact is that NO ONE coming in this late in the game is going to be able to assimilate an offense and be capable of running it at the level we want, and became used to with Marino, from the opening kickoff unless he has the intelligence of "Norman" Einstein, in which case he wouldn't be playing football anyway. :badpc:

Deep down I know you are right. I am grasping at straws. The problem is I can see the writing on the wall, and I want to aviod what is written AT ALL COSTS.
What is written is "Jay Feidler is going to end up being this teams starter in 2004." I hope I am wrong and that Wanny doesn't grab fpr his security blankie and lets Feeley play and be the starter. But I am just scared it won't happen. And I just don't want another season of the Feidler Follies.

Well i have to agree that we should have the patience to see what Aj can bring to the table. However, i also have to agree given a choice between Jay and Rich,i would go with Gannon. It is hard to say how our oline will play this year. We will have to wait and see about all these questions.

Prime Time said:
Gannon is old and is becoming injury prone. He was behind a very good line and got knocked up and If he was behind ours, .

Damn I hate when the line isn't even good enough to stop a QB from getting knocked up. So I say no way we sign a pregnant QB. :roflmao:

This might have been a possibility had Feeley showed up and wowed us in mini-camp but he didn't and so Fiedler remains (shudder) a valuable asset to the team. He knows the offense and is a decent fallback guy in case Feeley isn't what we hoped. He would also be an ideal backup because he can enter any game and fire a team up...he's just not so good for the long haul. Don't forget Brian Griese...he came in and because of his arrival after June 1st he didn't even play as well as he played in Denver during the latter couple of years. The same could be true for Gannon, who would have to learn a new system and terminology late in the offseason, to be good enough to run this offense should Feeley disappoint or get injured.

Let the Feeley/Fiedler situation shake out. And if Fiedler wins the competition don't be disheartened, because even Jake Delhomme failed to unseat Rodney Peete when he made his way to Carolina.

dolfanreal69 said:
Well i have to agree that we should have the patience to see what Aj can bring to the table.

Patience? :confused: ......Patience? :confused: ......not roast him before he gets a chance to play? But have patience? :shakeno:

Not on this board Mister!!! :rolleyes:

:jk:

PhinPhreak said:
Damn I hate when the line isn't even good enough to stop a QB from getting knocked up. So I say no way we sign a pregnant QB. :roflmao:

Gee I hope my girlfriend's O-line is good enough :lol:

Rich Gannon......please the guys NFL ID # is 3, this guy is past the twilight of his career. While I think Jay is garbage on the field, that garbage with basically less talent than this year went 10-6. Gannon is coming off surgery on his throwing shoulder, he is older than dirt (in NFL years), and against good defenses folds like a house of cards. With Jay he may stick around a few years, Rich I would think has just one more year.

ZOD said:
Gannon and Fiedler are the same quarterback. One just had the advantage of playing in a system that fit his capability during his career .

It's good to see that somebody here isn't sharing Ricky's stash. I'm sick of this "go with the devil we don't know" talk. Anybody knows that you go with the devil you know because at least that way you know what to expect. Jay Fiedler is a known quantity whose presence means 10 wins a year on average. If we were talking about any chance of bringing in a guy who could run whatever our system is who might be an upgrade, that would be one thing. That guy isn't Rich Gannon, though. I really hope that Billy Joe Hobert doesn't decide to make a comeback attempt because somebody around here would probably want to go with him over Jay... :rolleyes:

Edit to add: Rich Gannon winning the MVP meant two things to me:

1) QB play is waaay overvalued
2) Somebody had a bone to pick with Priest Holmes

pigskinguy said:
Gee I hope my girlfriend's O-line is good enough :lol:

ya, if we give feely a 5 month supply of oline-control, we should be able to make it through the season with out too much worry about the guy getting knocked up.

...but I heard that stuff isn't 100%

The main problem with this thread is that Gannon is still listed as the starter with the Raiders and Collins was signed to be the backup...

Raiders | Collins Content as Backup - from www.KFFL.com
Tue, 25 May 2004 20:00:22 -0700

Josh Dubow, of NFL.com, reports Oakland Raiders QB Kerry Collins is satisfied with backing up starting QB Rich Gannon this season. "Obviously I've played a lot in this league and started a lot of games," Collins said. "But when I came here they made it clear what the situation would be. I understood that Rich would be the starter and I will be the guy that's there if something happens to Rich. That will be my approach." With the addition of Collins, head coach Norv Turner now believes his team is well prepared if Gannon should suffer an injury or struggle. "If something happens to Rich, we have a guy who is not just a proven player but a proven winner," Turner said.

In my opinion i would rather have fiedler! this sounds kind of odd but if u look at it like this, gannon doesnt have much left hes getting old and fragile. he cant take that much of a beating anymore without getting hurt. he is also slow. Fiedler still is young and he can scramble when he needs to. and he does have and arm but he just needs 2 work on hitting the recievers deep a little more.

Back
Top Bottom