Merged: Kobe blowing up again | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Kobe blowing up again

painnotpleasure said:
Wow, that's f*cking unbelievable. You can easily make the arguement that what Kobe did last night... is even more impressive than when Wilt Chamberlain scored 100 points in a single game. I mean think about it, Chamberlain was ahead of his time and the only 7 foot player in the NBA at time and nobody could defend him, it was a man among boys. For Kobe to do what he did, nowadays... is just unbelievable. I mean Shaq scored scored 62 a few years ago, David Robinson scored 71, both over 7 foot centers, Kobe is a guard for God's sake. He also had 62 points a few weeks ago, it's freaking insane. Jordan scored 69 in the playoffs and no doubt in my mind Jordan was twice the teamplayer Kobe was and I think he could've scored 100 points in a game if that was all he cared about, but regardless of what you think of Kobe... 81 points is one of the most impressive and spectacular features that I have ever witnessed.

Yeah, but there was not a 3 point field goal when Wilt played, and George Gervin and David Thompson would have easily scored a 100 on the nights they scored 73 points and 64 points respectively, had there been a 3 pointer when they played.

Roman529 said:
Yeah, but there was not a 3 point field goal when Wilt played, and George Gervin and David Thompson would have easily scored a 100 on the nights they scored 73 points and 64 points respectively, had there been a 3 pointer when they played.

Yeah, but Wilt wasn't going to be shooting any three's. Even if you take away the three point shot last night, Kobe still threw up 74 points, which is still impresive.

Do not forget the level of competition that Wilt went against that game too. 6'10" an 6'9" "centers" that were really only tall and nothing else.

Kobe is playing against better athletes and doesn't have the advantage of being 7'2".

I am not sure if I consider Kobe's game better than Wilt's ( I consider Wilt the greatest B-Baller ever ), but it was dang impressive.

Boik14 said:
The difference is very clear: A 40/10 game means you got other people involved to the point where they couldnt double you without likely paying for it. A player who goes for 60/0ast is going to be double teamed all day til he passes the ball. The opposition is going to make someone else beat them and if the guy who scores 60 refuses to pass still his team will likely lose.

Mostly when you have a great game like Kobe did tonight its about efficiency. Tonight Kobe shot lights out (28/46...over 60%) but many times when he has these 40+ pt outbursts he shoot more like 40-42% with a ton of trips to the charity stripe.

I see your point

But in the end its the same # of points on the board, and all that matters is winning whether Kobe scores 81 and has 2 assists, or has 0 points and 40 assists *which will NEVER happen*

Quelonio said:
And this is why despite the fact that I am a Sonics fan I consider this man the best player I have ever seen (oh yes, I do)

Of course you'd say that, he's on your fantasy team! You've got Kobe and Iverson, the two leading scorers, I hate you!

At least AI is in the top 10 in assists, along with his #2 spot in scoring...he is the real MVP, not Kobe.

AI is also the team's point guard, so he ought to be in the top 10 of assists.

Do what? Are you out of your mind? Think about it, a 3 pointer is only worth one more point than a regular basket. 73 points means the most field goals he could have made was 36, so if he hit 36 23 footers then the most points he could have had was 109, which he wasn't even close to doing. Kobe is a pretty good 3 point shooter & he only hit 7 threes last night. Quit hatin.

I am not sure if I consider Kobe's game better than Wilt's ( I consider Wilt the greatest B-Baller ever ), but it was dang impressive.

MJ is the best ever there's not even an argument than can be made against him. Now #2 is up for debate & Wilt had so many advantages back then it wasn't fair, which is why there was a rules change. He was the only 7 footer back then & there was no lane. Imagine if Shaq could just squat down in the paint without the 3 second violation.

backpacker said:
Of course you'd say that, he's on your fantasy team! You've got Kobe and Iverson, the two leading scorers, I hate you!

Hehe, I know, I could not believe it, damn I drafted well, not only that but I got Tony Parker, Rip Hamilton, I am damn good. :tongue:

Stop with this being better than Wilt's 100.

1) Wilt was a good jump shooter in his time, he didn't dunk every FG that game like people think.
2) If it was sooo easy for him, how come he never got close to 100 again?
3) Bottom line, regardless of the position Wilt played: A 3 is worth 1 more point than a two, making it easier to get there. Why is it easier? Because it takes less baskets and less time to do it. You take away the 7 extra points that Kobe scored, and it's a 73 point outburst, and people aren't salivating over it as much, and definitely NOT comparing it to Wilt right now.
4) #2 isn't even up for debate. Wilt is #2 AT LEAST if not #1. Until Michael Jordan, nobody dominated the game the way Wilt did.

Career Stats
Honors: Elected to Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame (1978) (Jury still out on Kobe, although he is helping his stock more and more daily)
NBA champion (1967, '72) (I'm still saying it, as far as kobe is concerned....without Shaq, ZERO titles)
NBA Finals MVP (1972)
NBA MVP (1960, '66, '67, '68)
All-NBA First Team (1960, '61, '62, '64, '66, '67, '68)
Second Team ('63, '65, '72)
All-Defensive First Team (1972, '73)
Rookie of Year (1960)
One of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996).

As you can see, Kobe has a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way to go.

Oh, and The Big Dipper's career scoring average? 30.9 PPG
Rebound per game? 22.9!!!
Assists Per game? 4.4!!!!

Kobe's career points per game: 23.2
Assists per game: 4.4 :lol: SAME AS WILT, the "center"

I'm not denying that what Kobe did was amazing, but don't say it was better than what Wilt did or that Kobe is coming even CLOSE to what the Big Dipper did in his career.

TerryTate said:
NBA champion (1967, '72) (I'm still saying it, as far as kobe is concerned....without Shaq, ZERO titles)

I hate how people make this statement. How many titles does Shaq have without Kobe?

Im not saying Kobe is as good as Wilt because he isn't, nor was his game as good, but SOME people still give him no credit for what was an AMAZING performance.

Kobe's game is comparable to Wilt's. He was 7 foot. Kobe isn't that tall. Congrats to Kobe. 81 points, simply amazing!

Prime Time said:
Kobe's game is comparable to Wilt's. He was 7 foot. Kobe isn't that tall. Congrats to Kobe. 81 points, simply amazing!

Tall doesn't necessarily make anything easier...just ask Manute Bol and Gheroge Muresan....there are plenty of tall stiffs in the NBA (like Erik Dampier)

HurriPhinFan said:
I hate how people make this statement. How many titles does Shaq have without Kobe?

Im not saying Kobe is as good as Wilt because he isn't, nor was his game as good, but SOME people still give him no credit for what was an AMAZING performance.

Shaq made the finals with Orlando, Kobe hasnt even made the playoffs. You take Kobe off that team and put a younger Shaq on it and the team is a top seed in the West. Kobe is a great individual player, but he doesnt have that leadership or the type of game that makes it easier for other players. Kobe is a hard player to play with, Shaq makes the game easier for everyone. Im not an Orlando or Heat fan or Shaq fan either.
Kobe's game was one of the greatest games ever by a player in the NBA no question about it.

Jaj said:
Considering who has the big mouth and won't stop admiring himself publicly, I would say Shaq had just as much of a problem.
When was the last time Shaq chased a teammate out of town? Penny chased himself out. Kobe pushed Shaq out.

Alex22 said:
I see your point

But in the end its the same # of points on the board, and all that matters is winning whether Kobe scores 81 and has 2 assists, or has 0 points and 40 assists *which will NEVER happen*
It still means the D only has to cover 1 guy mainly and if they can stop him for those 1 or 2 possessions theyre going to win. Thats why so many announcers place emphasis on a great PG who can distribute like Nash.

Brad528 said:
Kobe new how to feed Shaq the ball too. I mean come on they one 4 Titles together. Just because of there recent feud does not mean they didnt play well together. In fact I would bet all the money I have that D.Wade and Shaq dont get 4 Titles. I agree that Wade is one of the best players I have seen in years but Shaq is just not the same force he used to be.
I know they played well together....thats the whole point. Shaq may be older but he wasnt the one who broke up the dynasty and he wasnt the one who needed the whole spotlight. Shaq made a finals without kobe...kobe hasnt even made rd 2 without shaq. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom