MERGED: Looks like the Bills will have 2 rookies in the secondary/Vincent on IR | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Looks like the Bills will have 2 rookies in the secondary/Vincent on IR

BuffaloBills06

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Troy Vincent's hamstring injury in Week One has brought an abrupt end to his 2006 season. The Bills starting free safety was placed on injured reserve as his injury left Buffalo with just three healthy safeties on their roster. With Vincent's injury likely to keep him out three to four weeks it would have left the Bills with only Ko Simpson, Coy Wire and Donte Whitner available as veteran Matt Bowen is still on the mend. Bowen did not practice with the team Wednesday.
It's anticipated that Buffalo's rookie safeties, Whitner and Simpson will start Sunday at Miami.
Both played three quarters of last week's game together and didn't give up much to Tom Brady and the New England offense. Whitner finished with seven tackles and his first career interception. Simpson finished with six tackles.
For Vincent the injury could potentially signal the end to a fabulous career that began in Miami when he was taken by the Dolphins with the seventh overall pick in the 1992 NFL Draft.
Vincent went to the Pro Bowl five consecutive years from 2000-2004 as a cornerback. He's played in 199 NFL games in his career and entered the 2006 season as the NFL leader in interceptions among active players with 47. He tied for the team lead in interceptions in 2005 with four and set a career high with 102 tackles for Buffalo last season.

For a rebuilding team this is great news for me because Troy Vincent has just plain and simple lost it and Ko Simpson will get the on the job training that he needs. It will be a bumpy ride for our rookies but they will get the needed game time experience that they need, and in the future we will have on of the best safety tandems in the league.
spacer-1.gif

I hope Culpepper doesn't throw the ball to them...

Relax, just messin.

BuffaloBills06 said:
Troy Vincent's hamstring injury in Week One has brought an abrupt end to his 2006 season. The Bills starting free safety was placed on injured reserve as his injury left Buffalo with just three healthy safeties on their roster. With Vincent's injury likely to keep him out three to four weeks it would have left the Bills with only Ko Simpson, Coy Wire and Donte Whitner available as veteran Matt Bowen is still on the mend. Bowen did not practice with the team Wednesday.
It's anticipated that Buffalo's rookie safeties, Whitner and Simpson will start Sunday at Miami.
Both played three quarters of last week's game together and didn't give up much to Tom Brady and the New England offense. Whitner finished with seven tackles and his first career interception. Simpson finished with six tackles.
For Vincent the injury could potentially signal the end to a fabulous career that began in Miami when he was taken by the Dolphins with the seventh overall pick in the 1992 NFL Draft.
Vincent went to the Pro Bowl five consecutive years from 2000-2004 as a cornerback. He's played in 199 NFL games in his career and entered the 2006 season as the NFL leader in interceptions among active players with 47. He tied for the team lead in interceptions in 2005 with four and set a career high with 102 tackles for Buffalo last season.

For a rebuilding team this is great news for me because Troy Vincent has just plain and simple lost it and Ko Simpson will get the on the job training that he needs. It will be a bumpy ride for our rookies but they will get the needed game time experience that they need, and in the future we will have on of the best safety tandems in the league.
http://assets.buffalobills.com/images/spacer.gif
I saw alot of Ko here in South Carolina. He will be a player for you guys sooner than later.

Well it's rather simple. Two rookie safeties in the Tampa Two.

RUN the BALL.

They're going to play their Tampa Two all day, keeping it simple for the rookies by just having them maintain coverage over top. They won't get cute with them by having one of them come into the box and disguising all their coverages, etc.

So what do you do? RUN the BALL.

I never thought I'd have to implore Mike Mularkey of all people to run the ball more.

Bills | Vincent placed on IR

Bills | Vincent placed on IR
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:24:35 -0700
Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports the Buffalo Bills placed FS Troy Vincent (hamstring) on injured reserve Wednesday, Sept. 13.

Wow man that's tough for him. I've always liked Vincent.

Two rookie safeties here we come.

good, Daunte will definitely take advantage of this, two rookies at safety will be playing for Buffalo now so we should soften up the Defense with the pass and run on them. I think the Bills will come out playing the run since thats their weakness

Ko Simpson.....i said when drafted, and ill stand by it. is the steel of that draft...in the 6th right? thats ridiculous.

look out for that WR reverse, it's the most used trick play in the NFL nowadays and we seem to love it. Chambers will run wild

Nappy Roots said:
Ko Simpson.....i said when drafted, and ill stand by it. is the steel of that draft...in the 6th right? thats ridiculous.
he gambles too much but I'm not sure why they stopped Saban, he loves big plays on D

Before you get too excited, our safeties played extremely well last week against the Pats. In fact, Donte Whitner had an interception, which he actually ran in for a touchdown near the end of the game before it was called back due to a suspect block in the back penalty. Still got the INT, but obviously not the TD.

BradTheBillsFan said:
Before you get too excited, our safeties played extremely well last week against the Pats. In fact, Donte Whitner had an interception, which he actually ran in for a touchdown near the end of the game before it was called back due to a suspect block in the back penalty. Still got the INT, but obviously not the TD.
you'll have a really good secoundary in a few years after they gain some experience. starting rookies isn't so bad, yes they make mistakes but by the time they are vets they are monsters

Back
Top Bottom