MERGED: Michael Sam to be First Openly Gay Player - Okay w/ Phins drafting him? | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Michael Sam to be First Openly Gay Player - Okay w/ Phins drafting him?

As another "openly gay, proud male" -- I can say that this is big news for a lot of young athletes and NFL players.

NFL football was like the final frontier of coming out to be honest. I played a bunch of sports and generally squashed most stereotypes, but had a lot of issues to deal with when it came to people accepting me for who I am.

This kid showed incredible bravery, because those of you that said it was likely to hurt his draft stock are right. Its a fact of the market -- you take out so many buyers who may not take issue with it overall, but they don't want to create controversy in the locker room for a not-so-sure thing (a rookie player who has enough hurdles to get over without this).

That being said, it is a HUGE step forward for so many people. I'm 33 now, but when I was 17 and came out, it was *NOT* as 'accepted' as it is now. This kid paved the way for so many other young athletes that are struggling, because believe me people, there are a LOT more of 'us' than you realize. And it shouldn't matter.

Anyone who says stuff like Vilma said about being uncomfortable about a gay guy looking at him usually have their own issues to deal with if you know what I mean -- I always found the people who were the weirdest about it were generally dealing with their own demons (again, I can speak with some authority on this matter, so don't chide me for perceived conjecture).

Whether he is a star or not, this kid deserves a pat on the back. I think it will only make him a better player, and it is great to see the general reaction VS. what it would have been 15 years ago. It shows a lot about our country -- I don't blame people for thinking being gay is wrong or immoral, because it is usually just ignorance and stems from how people were raised.

Next up... NFL finally realizes that marijuana is better than opiates for pain management and inflammation!

---------- Post added at 07:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

And you prove my point. In this post you name call me for my belief system. It takes NO COURAGE to come out in today's society. NONE. Eventually you people on the left show your colors. And it starts with the name calling. Thank you.:3w:

And turn it to any ESPN channel, and let me know if they aren't talking about him...like he's a hero. Turn it to PMSNBC, and you will see the same.

And he is a celebrity now, with out playing a single NFL down. NOT ONE ****ING PLAY.

I don't blame people for thinking being gay is wrong or immoral, because it is usually just ignorance and stems from how people were raised.

In todays PC media it takes more courage for a person to say he disapproves of the homosexual lifestyle than to come out as being gay. One will get you an avalanche of hate mail, the other will get you an invitation to sit with the Presidents wife.

WoW to come out and hate on a person because he is gay is called Courage in your world?

And you prove my point. In this post you name call me for my belief system. It takes NO COURAGE to come out in today's society. NONE. Eventually you people on the left show your colors. And it starts with the name calling. Thank you.:3w:

And turn it to any ESPN channel, and let me know if they aren't talking about him...like he's a hero. Turn it to PMSNBC, and you will see the same.

And he is a celebrity now, with out playing a single NFL down. NOT ONE ****ING PLAY.

Saying it's no big deal is not part of your "belief system."

Thats you being blind to the world around and unwillingly to accept a pretty basic truth. There isn't a sports media outlet in America not talking about this.

But your "belief system" makes you think it's no big deal.

And please stop with this whole "liberal bias", I hate to be the one to tell you but there's a whole bunch of republican states where having sex with animals is god damn legal, and incest is still acceptable.

Should I call that a "republican agenda"? Do you rightys spend all your time pushing a media agenda of screwing animals and family members?

That's just the thing, they aren't accepting of the person. To say I don't accept your behavior, but I still love you as a person, is one thing, but there are people saying they won't accept the PERSON around them. That's the issue.

It's telling that people who speak out against homosexuals on moral grounds don't speak out against divorced people, sexually promiscuous heterosexuals and the whole gamut of sexually immoral people around them. Where are the NFL players shouting that they won't play with an adulterer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great points, and I totally agree with you.

I find it stupid that/if players turn around and bash the guy, or refuse to play with him, etc, etc.

But at the same time, I think we are kidding ourselves if Sam did not know this would create a media circus. We can play the "first to do it" "pioneer" cards all we want, but at the end of the day this man will have to accept the consequences good or bad that this press conference created and personally I think its unfair to the rest of his future teammates that they will now be muzzeled from day 1 and say nothing but the standard PR protocal lines.

Bottom line, this is football, and his sexual preference has no impact on his playing ability. So why make it an issue? People at my job don't walk around and announce that they are proud gay men. That is their personal business, not mine.

Do you. But don't force me or put me in a situation in which I have to accept what you believe in or I look like the bad guy. It's not fair to the players or the league.

You keep calling him a celebrity without playing a single down. That's your way of disrespecting what the man is doing and what he's going through, because your so small minded you want to blame the "liberal media" for causing all this somehow.

If it wasn't a big deal he wouldn't be a "celebrity" would he? If it wasn't a big deal he wouldnt be the first athlete to do it, would he?

He shouodnt have to come out and announce it, it shouldn't be a big deal, but your god damn ignorant if you think it's nit a big deal and it's a easy thing to do.

Also, he isn't the first athlete to do it. The first to say it before trying to get into the NFL, yes, but not the first athlete. Didn't we just have a SI cover boy last year declaring his sexuality for the world? And wasn't he hailed as a HERO also? Yep thought so.

Good for him, but I'm one of those guys that has never cared what somebody's sexual preference is as long as you don't make it awkward for people. And really, most gay people I know don't make it awkward to be around them.

As for would I draft him or not, depends on whose available. As of right now he'd be fighting Derrick Shelby for 4th DE.

Saying it's no big deal is not part of your "belief system."

Thats you being blind to the world around and unwillingly to accept a pretty basic truth. There isn't a sports media outlet in America not talking about this.

But your "belief system" makes you think it's no big deal.

And please stop with this whole "liberal bias", I hate to be the one to tell you but there's a whole be punch of republican states where having sex with animals is god damn legal. Should I call that a "republican agenda"?

Homie you are jumping all over the place now.

The name calling starts with you people, once you get your panties in a twist. On Mike and Mike this morning. What were the adjectives used to describe those who didn't believe in dudes lifestyle? Uneducated, narrow minded, unintelligent ..... You attack those who completely disagree with you. And its ok, because its the norm. And its also the norm, that people who come out of the closet in athletics are held up as heros. Thats just a fact.

I ask why is it a 'big deal' to you? What does it matter? What does his sexuality have to do with his skill set for the NFL?

WoW to come out and hate on a person because he is gay is called Courage in your world?

Try voicing a opinion contrary to the PC gay agenda and see what happens to you in the media.

Show some respect? For what? This guy put his life out to the media, for scrutiny...good or bad. But the media is not going to portray him as anything but a hero. As for respect, I don't know the guy. I don't much care to know the guy, I can't stand MIZZOU and their fans. Sadly, you are trying to make him a victim. And he isn't. He is now a celebrity.

I don't feel like a victim. As I have stated before. I can only control what I do, and how I teach those around me. I vote a certain way and pass down the best morals I can. Thats all anyone can do. The real people who need to be 'enlightened' is the black community who voted numerous times, to ban gay marriage and look down on the gay lifestyle like its the plague. Polls and votes back up that assertion.

Again, it takes no COURAGE to come out in today's society. NONE. He is now a celebrity, without playing a single down in the NFL. Not one play.

Spoken like a person who has lived his entire live not knowing what its like to be in the minority, the black community doesn't need to be enlighten by you thank you, just like any other issue the black community has come around on this issue just as the country has....its a shame that your teachings will guarantee this issue will not go away anytime soon....oh yea check your polls and remember the only black president is the one who announced that no one should be discriminated against because of who they love......

Try voicing a opinion contrary to the PC gay agenda and see what happens to you in the media.

What does IBM have to do with this!? Damn Apple fanboys...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aren't there already gay players in the NFL? Seems like non-news to me.

There isn't a sports media outlet in America not talking APPROVINGLY about this.

Fixed it for you. There isn't one voice in any media outlet that isn't fawning over Sam's gay heroics. Its an agenda and anyone that disapproves of it dares not speak up, or risk losing their jobs.

Back
Top Bottom