Merged: Quinn falls to the Dolphins at #9? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: Quinn falls to the Dolphins at #9?

all i can say is thank god mel kiper is never friggen right...i am not sold on quinn, undersized, product of the system. I want STANTON and we dont have to sell the farm to get him

:confused: Quinn is taller than Stanton and weighs the same, his system is closest thing to the NFL you'll get in college so that's another plus not a negative.

The Redskins have Jason Campbell who was drafted just 2 years ago in the first round, and last year the Vikes drafted Travaris Jackson in the 2nd round. Neither would give up on those players so quickly. There is a very good chance Quinn falls to us if he makes it past Cleveland.
I beg to differ. With the maturity that Quinn shows, he's hard to overlook. The QB situations in those cities are even more dire than ours.

There's no reason to make a trade with Washington because in all likelihood, Washington wouldn't even consider drafting Quinn because they just spent a 1st round pick on Jason Campbell. They started Campbell at the end of the year, he's their QB of the future. Plus, the Skins don't have a pick after the first round until the fifth round, they can't afford to use their first round pick on a guy that would be on the bench. The lack of Day 1 picks is why the Skins are trying to trade down.

Look objectively at the QB situations for each of the teams above Miami in the draft:
1) Oakland - probably will take Russell or Quinn, current starter is either Aaron Brooks or Andrew Walter
2) Detroit - Kitna threw a bunch of picks but also had over 4000 yards this year, he is getting up there in age. A QB could get taken to sit for a year or two, but they have a lot of other holes on that team.
3) Cleveland - Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson started games for the Browns this year. The Browns seem to like Frye a good deal, but I think they would look hard at Quinn for his potential, and for 2 other reasons. First, he's an Ohio guy, and second, Crennel is the coach there and you know that he'll get all of the info on Quinn from Weis since both of those coaches know each other from their Patriots days.
4) Tampa Bay - Chris Simms just signed a 2 year extension, but Gruden could get excited about a QB if Quinn or Russell is still there.
5) Arizona - Leinart got taken in the 1st round last year, almost no chance they take another QB.
6) Washington - see above
7) Minnesota - spent a second round pick last year on Tarvaris Jackson, and will probably go into next year with him as the starter since he ended the season as the starter. Little chance they'll take a QB again.
8) Houston - David Carr is still the starter for now, rumors are flying that he may be let go, but rumors are also out there that Gary Kubiak will get reunited with Jake Plummer in Houston. We should know a lot more after the free agency period.

So out of the 8 teams that pick ahead of the Dolphins, I think that the top 3 teams are the teams with the highest likelihood of picking a QB. However, it's easy to see Detroit and Cleveland going in directions other than drafting a QB, so if you look at it, Quinn could be there as #9. If he's there and the Dolphins don't want him, they should look at teams in the 10-20 range that may be in search of a QB. The problem with that line of thinking in this: barely any team in the 10-20 range is unsettled at the QB position! Look at it:
10) Atlanta - Vick and Schaub
11) San Francisco - Alex Smith
12) Buffalo - JP Losman played a lot better last year, I think the Bills will stay with him
13) St. Louis - Bulger
14) Carolina - Delhomme is the starter, but they could maybe look at Quinn if he was still there
15) Pittsburgh - Roethlisberger
16) Green Bay - Favre for at least 1 more year, then Aaron Rodgers
17) Jacksonville - Garrard was the starter at the end of the year and may go into next year as the starter with Leftwich traded, both are under contract right now, so no need to draft a QB
18) Cincinnati - Carson Palmer
19) Tennessee - Vince Young
20) New York Giants - Eli Manning

So looking at all of this, I could see a fall for Brady Quinn like what happened to Aaron Rodgers a couple of years ago if teams draft more on needs in the first round as opposed to drafting best player available. As far as Quinn, I wouldn't mind the Dolphins taking him to develop for a couple of years behind Daunte. If Weis says that he'll be really good in the NFL, that's good enough for me.

:confused: Quinn is taller than Stanton and weighs the same, his system is closest thing to the NFL you'll get in college so that's another plus not a negative.

my bad as he is not undersized at 6-4 - i never looked at his height - he always looks so small to me when he plays --

Quinn

Why not just trade the first round pick to Atlanta for Schaub. Personally, I don't think we need to use anything higher than a 4th on a Qb, but if we do, i'd rather have someone who has seen the speed of an NFL defense and has shown he can thrive in it. LSU's speed really shook Quinn, and I'm not sure he can adjust to it. And if we miss with yet another Qb that we spent a high pick on, it could really haunt us for a while to come. Just my opinion...

Jackson was pretty bad even for a rookie last year and Houston benched Carr at some points for Sage so I think both would probably take Quinn if he's there but who knows...It's kind of like picking lotto numbers :lol:

That is why I think the rumor might have some credibility though because perhaps the Phins don't wan't to take a chance at letting Houston or Minny grab him.

Plus there is always the chance with the Skins looking to trade down that if the Phins don't trade up with them someone else will and nab Quinn.

True, but they did burn a recent 2nd rounder so I'd think they'd go for veteran help and try him out again.

Houston's the most likely though. That's the scary thing.

There's no reason to make a trade with Washington because in all likelihood, Washington wouldn't even consider drafting Quinn because they just spent a 1st round pick on Jason Campbell. They started Campbell at the end of the year, he's their QB of the future. Plus, the Skins don't have a pick after the first round until the fifth round, they can't afford to use their first round pick on a guy that would be on the bench. The lack of Day 1 picks is why the Skins are trying to trade down.

Look objectively at the QB situations for each of the teams above Miami in the draft:
1) Oakland - probably will take Russell or Quinn, current starter is either Aaron Brooks or Andrew Walter
2) Detroit - Kitna threw a bunch of picks but also had over 4000 yards this year, he is getting up there in age. A QB could get taken to sit for a year or two, but they have a lot of other holes on that team.
3) Cleveland - Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson started games for the Browns this year. The Browns seem to like Frye a good deal, but I think they would look hard at Quinn for his potential, and for 2 other reasons. First, he's an Ohio guy, and second, Crennel is the coach there and you know that he'll get all of the info on Quinn from Weis since both of those coaches know each other from their Patriots days.
4) Tampa Bay - Chris Simms just signed a 2 year extension, but Gruden could get excited about a QB if Quinn or Russell is still there.
5) Arizona - Leinart got taken in the 1st round last year, almost no chance they take another QB.
6) Washington - see above
7) Minnesota - spent a second round pick last year on Tarvaris Jackson, and will probably go into next year with him as the starter since he ended the season as the starter. Little chance they'll take a QB again.
8) Houston - David Carr is still the starter for now, rumors are flying that he may be let go, but rumors are also out there that Gary Kubiak will get reunited with Jake Plummer in Houston. We should know a lot more after the free agency period.

So out of the 8 teams that pick ahead of the Dolphins, I think that the top 3 teams are the teams with the highest likelihood of picking a QB. However, it's easy to see Detroit and Cleveland going in directions other than drafting a QB, so if you look at it, Quinn could be there as #9. If he's there and the Dolphins don't want him, they should look at teams in the 10-20 range that may be in search of a QB. The problem with that line of thinking in this: barely any team in the 10-20 range is unsettled at the QB position! Look at it:
10) Atlanta - Vick and Schaub
11) San Francisco - Alex Smith
12) Buffalo - JP Losman played a lot better last year, I think the Bills will stay with him
13) St. Louis - Bulger
14) Carolina - Delhomme is the starter, but they could maybe look at Quinn if he was still there
15) Pittsburgh - Roethlisberger
16) Green Bay - Favre for at least 1 more year, then Aaron Rodgers
17) Jacksonville - Garrard was the starter at the end of the year and may go into next year as the starter with Leftwich traded, both are under contract right now, so no need to draft a QB
18) Cincinnati - Carson Palmer
19) Tennessee - Vince Young
20) New York Giants - Eli Manning

So looking at all of this, I could see a fall for Brady Quinn like what happened to Aaron Rodgers a couple of years ago if teams draft more on needs in the first round as opposed to drafting best player available. As far as Quinn, I wouldn't mind the Dolphins taking him to develop for a couple of years behind Daunte. If Weis says that he'll be really good in the NFL, that's good enough for me.
Great post, very logical. I hope we get Quinn, he ran a pro style offense and Cam is the man to coach him up. Culpepper may or may not heal. Who knows? Draft Quinn if possible by all means.

Some Brady Quinn Talk

Here's an article that discusses the idea of Brady Quinn falling to #9, as well as some other Fin talk. Check it out here.

So what do you guys think about this? Would you all want Miami to draft Quinn if he was available at #9? Do you think Miami SHOULD trade up to get him incase he isn't there at 9??

You know?

How can you judge a college QB on his winning or not winning the big game in his career? That's sort of like saying that Marino isn't one of the best QBs ever because he didn't win the superbowl. Football remains a team game on every level, so it doesn't really matter whether or not "1" player happens to be on a team that wins something significant. What we should be judging Quinn on is his individual production which has been great. He has progressed nicely every year and threw for 37 TDs and only 7 INTs, with a 61.9 comp pct rate and a 146.65 QB rating his senior year.

Your argument that he didn't get hype until Weiss came around is lacking. The 2 years of his career before Weiss came are commonly referred to as "freshman" and "sophmore" year. To expect "greatness" in those first, learning years is ludicrous. What you want to see out of these years is progress; which is what Quinn has displayed. Let's also not forget that most college football players hardly ever see the field in their first 2 seasons; let alone at the QB position and a very high profile college. Weiss also runs a pro style offense, which should be an indicator the Quinn can handle a similar system in the NFL.

We would be extremely fortunate to land Quinn at #9. Look at the numbers, they speak for themselves. Don't judge the man's college career on the Sugar Bowl. Judge it as a collective whole.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=150329

You have just sold me this dude! I always though ,he was over rate, because his is an irish (ND), by the way, i hate ND. That colege is always over rated. But i will tag along and will not get mad if this as*** is drated be the Phins!!

How can you judge a college QB on his winning or not winning the big game in his career? That's sort of like saying that Marino isn't one of the best QBs ever because he didn't win the superbowl. Football remains a team game on every level, so it doesn't really matter whether or not "1" player happens to be on a team that wins something significant. What we should be judging Quinn on is his individual production which has been great. He has progressed nicely every year and threw for 37 TDs and only 7 INTs, with a 61.9 comp pct rate and a 146.65 QB rating his senior year.

Your argument that he didn't get hype until Weiss came around is lacking. The 2 years of his career before Weiss came are commonly referred to as "freshman" and "sophmore" year. To expect "greatness" in those first, learning years is ludicrous. What you want to see out of these years is progress; which is what Quinn has displayed. Let's also not forget that most college football players hardly ever see the field in their first 2 seasons; let alone at the QB position and a very high profile college. Weiss also runs a pro style offense, which should be an indicator the Quinn can handle a similar system in the NFL.

We would be extremely fortunate to land Quinn at #9. Look at the numbers, they speak for themselves. Don't judge the man's college career on the Sugar Bowl. Judge it as a collective whole.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=150329

Refreshing post. So much ignorance this post is like a beacon of light.

IF HE FALLS TO US WE TRADE DOWN. (deal with the caps lol) His potential vs what we can get for him in that pick says trade down.

Although trading down has not happened very much recently, the Quinn @ 9 scenario is probably the best trade down scenarios. When teams get quarterback crazy they're willing to deal. (assuming we don't take him if he's there)

Jackson was pretty bad even for a rookie last year and Houston benched Carr at some points for Sage so I think both would probably take Quinn if he's there but who knows...It's kind of like picking lotto numbers :lol:

That is why I think the rumor might have some credibility though because perhaps the Phins don't wan't to take a chance at letting Houston or Minny grab him.

Plus there is always the chance with the Skins looking to trade down that if the Phins don't trade up with them someone else will and nab Quinn.

Houston will pick-up Plummer, they will have Carr and Plummer, they won't go after Quinn. Minnesota will trade for Schuab they have already expressed interest in doing so, and I think they should give Jackson another shot. Quinn will fall to us if he falls by Cleveland

I beg to differ. With the maturity that Quinn shows, he's hard to overlook. The QB situations in those cities are even more dire than ours.

It most certainly is not, especially in Washington. Campbell WILL be the starter there, they will not take a QB.

Minnesota is expected to be heavy contenders for Jeff Garcia untill Jackson is ready to start.

Back
Top Bottom