Merged: The Results Are In: Worst Draft Pick as Polled by Finheaven Gurus???? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged: The Results Are In: Worst Draft Pick as Polled by Finheaven Gurus????

phunwin said:
Bosa, Kumerow and Shipp were all lousy,

You guys listing Bosa confuse me.

His rookie year:

Led the team in sacks
Was voted Dolphins Defense MVP
Was voted Dolphins rookie of the year.

He clearly had talent hence you really can't lump him with a Kumerow, Shipp or Milner.

I remember watching a compliation of worst draft moments on espn. One of the clips was Miami selecting Eric Kumerow. The look on Kiper's face was priceless if you were a Bill fan. It was a look like, "WHO in the HELL is that?" Then he proceeds to look through his papers and actually finding nothing on the guy.

That is an embarressing pick. At least Eddie moore was known and a 2nd rounder. At least Jamar Fletcher was one of the best college cornerbacks to play the game. At least Yatil Green was a HUGE talent in college. At least John Avery was a fast runningback and a big play guy who would of been drafted in the 2nd round at least. At least Sammie Smith was a good college runningback.

This, IMO, was the worst draft pick since I have started watching the phins.

VManis said:
I don't consider Yatil a bust at all. He was a stud in college at a position of need. Furthermore he was picked right around were most draft experts had him going. So unless you expect our GM to be physic about injuries I can't see how this is a bad pick.

My vote goes to Eddie Moore. He's a guy who had a known history of injuries (Yatil had no major injuries at UM) and was graded by most experts no higher then a late first or early second day pick. I remember after he was picked I had to search and search and search just to find a bios on him. Picking an obsure player with an injury history in the first round is the very definition of a reach.

Yeah, but Yatil only played a few college games because he was always injured and missed time. Granted it was "just" a hamstring. He didn't have major injures in college, but he had a HUGE history of missing time.

TPA_Finz said:
All R/B's John Avery & Sammie Smith & Cecil Collins a close second

About time someone mentioned Cecil. Is he not still in prison?

dlockz said:
There is no way Fletcher was a worse pick than Shipp at least he played.

Shipp led the team in tackles in '87 (beating Offerdahl) and was 2nd in '86. In fact he averaged ~80 tackles a year from 85-87. He could not cover anyone, but he did play, and could (apparently) tackle.

My vote is Sammie Smith. He was drafted in the top 10 and stunk. Best year, ~830 yds, 3.7ypc. No better (really worse) than Higgs, Parmalee, etc. Top 10 pick HAS to produce big time. He did not.

You really have to consider where in the first a guy was picked. To me, anyone outside the first, including Blake, Moore, Greene and Beavers is excluded from consideration, as 2nd rounders are really crap shots. The same is true of late 1sts. For me, that excludes Milner, Fletcher and Lorenzo Hampton. Fletcher was annoying because we had 2 Pro Bowl corners and it seemed like our position of least need (what other team has ever used a 1st round pick on a guy for the purpose of his being a nickel corner). Avery was a late-first, but we traded out of 19, where we could have had Moss, before the draft. Avery infuriated me because using a 1st on a scat back/returner just doesn't make sense. Bosa played well before he got hurt. YGreen got hurt so early and so often that we'll never know what he could have done. We took him high, but that is where everyone projected him.

To me, that brings it down to Kumerow and Sammy Smith. Smith went 9th, Kumerow 16th. But at least Smith started for a while. He went high, but was expected to and was at a position of need. Other than Barry Sanders, who went No. 3, none of the RBs in that draft turned out to be good. In fact, Tim Worley, who went 2 spots ahead of Smith, was arguably an even bigger bust. Kumerow seemed to have come out of nowhere (although supposedly Blesto had him highly rated). Clifford Charlton was the highest rated OLB on the board and he turned out no better than Kumerow. I think Kumerow was the bigger reach, but with the benefit of hindsight, the Sammy Smith pick was probably worse because it was a top 10 pick and there were a lot of good players available at the time..

wow, I like this one...

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Almanac/DraftShouldve_1989.htm

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]Draft redo ... 1989[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=+1]
How should the drafts have gone?[/SIZE][/FONT]

Who Went

9. Miami Dolphins
Sammie Smith, RB Florida State

How it should've gone
WR Andre Rison (1st), Michigan State

While Lorenzo Hampton, Troy Stradford, Ron Davenport and Woody Bennett weren't getting the job done at running back, Smith wasn't the solution for Miami's rushing woes. Mark Clayton had become Miami's only receiving option, so Rison would've been a huge help.

Dorian Brew. JJ traded out of the 2nd round to take this guy at #79, making him our 2nd overall pick in the 1996 draft, and he didn't even make the team that fall.

yatil green never got the chance to play. jamar fletcher sucked the big one constantly costing us plays. we could have drafted reggie wayne or drew brees for crying out loud. it has to be jamar fletcher because he has no tallent. yatil green could have been jerry rice or joe schmo. we KNOW for a FACT that fletcher is a horrible pick. i doubt he would have even been drafted at all if the nfl knew wut he would become

I have to go with Cecil Collins. Out of all the backs who could have got Danny M a ring, he had the most talent IMHO.

alopez34 said:
yatil green never got the chance to play. jamar fletcher sucked the big one constantly costing us plays. we could have drafted reggie wayne or drew brees for crying out loud. it has to be jamar fletcher because he has no tallent. yatil green could have been jerry rice or joe schmo. we KNOW for a FACT that fletcher is a horrible pick. i doubt he would have even been drafted at all if the nfl knew wut he would become

Fletcher has been playing a fair amount for a pretty good SD team. He played a lot as the nickel back in 2002 on the NFL's No. 2 ranked pass defense. I think he just wasn't a good match for the kind of press coverage that we played when he was here. As a zone CB, he's not terrible.

Viggen said:
wow, I like this one...

[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]Draft redo ... 1989[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=+1]

Who Went

9. Miami Dolphins

How it should've gone

While Lorenzo Hampton, Troy Stradford, Ron Davenport and Woody Bennett weren't getting the job done at running back, Smith wasn't the solution for Miami's rushing woes. Mark Clayton had become Miami's only receiving option, so Rison would've been a huge help.

Duper still had a few good years left in him at that time. RB was a major need, as Lorenzo Hampton led the team in 1988 with 414 yards on a 3.5 ypc average. Rison was a very good player, but I think that takes 20/20 hindsight a bit far. Had that team taken a WR in the first round, people would have been laughing. Steve Atwater would have been a better pick (we ended up with Louis Oliver later in the 1st).

Viggen said:
wow, I like this one...

Who Went

9. Miami Dolphins

How it should've gone

Holy crap, when Derrick Fenner is in the top 30 of players that should of been drafted in the first round, you know you have a HORRIBLE draft.

Back
Top Bottom