Merged X4: Richard Seymour Traded | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged X4: Richard Seymour Traded

A first rounder........................

For Seymour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going on their boards, Pat fans don't seem happy.

They are now a significantly worse team in 2009 and 2010 for a 2011 first rounder.

Yeah, the Pats fans were pretty upset. Whatever makes them unhappy makes me smile. :D

Richard Seymour is still a quality player. He's in his prime. I don't think this is one of the Raiders more horrible moves, however they aren't exactly a team built to contend now, thus i'm not sure if giving up a first round pick is the best decision here. The Patriots must know something nobody else does either because trading Seymour while still in his prime is a little quizzical. Remember when they dumped Milloy before the 2002 season and everyone had an uproar? Milloy never did anything in Buffalo and the Patriots went on to win more Super Bowls. They must figure an excellent 3-4 DE is easily attainable and a 1st round pick in 2011 (which will help them continue rebuilding while contending) is much more valuable.

Well at least it's a 2011 1st rounder. By that time their going to need work on both offense and defense... instead of just defense.

Belicheat swindles another team. Al Davis is a total moron.

Now the queston is will Seymour sign a new contract with Oak?? Or will NE get him back next yr???

Definitely sad to see him go. Was a really good player and I will always be a fan. This no doubt hurts our defense this season. He was not coming back to us for '10 since he would be 31 and his contract would be up, so not so much for the '10 season. Instead of letting him go, we sacrificed his play this year to get a 1st. He is often injured, and I am curious to see how healthy he'll be for Oakland.

I think both teams won out. It makes Oakland better for '09, but if they can't resign him, and he held out against the Pats in the past so he most likely isn't going to give Oakland a hometown discount either, it's a one year rental for a potentially high #1 pick. Seymour will get his last big contract of his career for '10 and since it wasn't coming from us, not bad to get a 1st round pick from Oakland for '11.

If Seymour bolts the Raiders, we could get an '11 #1 pick from an Oakland team which Seymour didn't even play for!

All the best to Big Sey!

If Seymour bolts the Raiders, we could get an '11 #1 pick from an Oakland team which Seymour didn't even play for!

All the best to Big Sey!

Short term it hurts the Pats for this season, but you could end up with a top five overall pick in 2011....it all depends on whether the Raiders will be a better team in 2010. The Broncos and Chiefs have fallen off in the AFC West and I would think the Raiders will be a better team by then.....not a bottom ten team but not a top ten either....so I would think the pick would be somewhere in the middle to early first round. Lots can happen in a year or two. The Raiders just seem to always get that crap end of the stick. :lol:

I'm not happy about them getting a (probably high) first round pick, but I am really happy to see Seymour out of there. He's been one of the staples of that defense over the years and anytime I see talent leave New England, I'm happy.

What no one is mentioned itby 2011 the CBA will be in paper. One of the key item is rookie salary cap. The top 10 picks even more valueable as now you get a top 10 rookie under the rookie cap.

Seymour is good ,he led the NFL for a 3-4 end is sacks last year. He has been injured for 2 yrs but last year was healthy and led the league in sacks.

This opens the door of vince wilfork signing

From Last year

Bru 36 yr old gone
Vrabel 34 yr old gone
Seymour 29 yr old gone
Ellis hobb and all the CB are gone

Oldest LB is AD at 32 but the next oldest is woods at 26 yr old
Oldest DL is Warren at 27 - very young group
CB - Springs 33 but then bodden is the oldest at 27 - again a very young group

Good point satz. I have read some stuff about a rookie salary cap that would go into effect in '11 assuming it is not a lockout year. And if there is a lockout, that pick would apply to the newly defined rookie cap on the resuming cap year/draft which should help if it's a typical Raider 1st round pick. :up:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's going to be a top 10 pick....the raiders if nothing else can run the ball and Seymour halps their D, which already wasn't bad. Keep in mind the Raiders play the Chiefs and Broncos twice....Im not sure either team is capable of beating the Raiders.

It was a smart move by the pats, though IMO if there is no new CBA, there will definately be a lockout.

I don't think it's going to be a top 10 pick....the raiders if nothing else can run the ball and Seymour halps their D, which already wasn't bad. Keep in mind the Raiders play the Chiefs and Broncos twice....Im not sure either team is capable of beating the Raiders.

It was a smart move by the pats, though IMO if there is no new CBA, there will definately be a lockout.

I agree with you. My only slant on that is that the pick is an '11 pick, not a '10 pick. Seymour is only under contract for this season, not the '10 season for which the '11 pick is for. Seymour is going to go for top dollar. That may be in Oakland, but I doubt it. In that scenario, Seymour would not even be playing for the Raiders in the '10 campaign to help them, which only helps the Pats draft position.

Who knows, maybe they'll sign him but I doubt it. He'll be a 31 year old injury prone player at that point. Not exactly who you want to be giving top dollar to. He can play though, was/am a big fan.

Back
Top Bottom