MERGED4x: Virus alert/Trojans/Ads | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED4x: Virus alert/Trojans/Ads

You're absolutely right. People shouldn't have to deal with those types of issues. Unfortunately, the reality is that if you host a site it will always be a potential target to be used for exploiting visitors who frequent it. You kind of have to change the way you do things to protect yourself not just from problems at Finheaven but to protect yourself from the dangers of the internet as a whole.

I installed Firefox and the applications that we suggested on my work computer. It helps that I have administrative rights on it but not all workplaces allow their employees to have such rights.

Again, very true. It does need to be fixed. How long will it stay that way after doing so? It's only a matter of time before the next attack. The future problems may not be as severe as this matter but let's face it, it could actually be a lot worse. Finheaven taking ownership of this situation is the right thing to do but it is my responsibility to make sure that my machines are protected. To do that, I am willing to consider any options that will help me to realize that....
Sorry if it came across as if I was disagreeing with you, I wasn't. I can't tell you how many times I've told family and friends to switch to Firefox, install adblock, etc. and keep on top of updated security; and I can't tell you how many times I've been brushed off, only to hear them crying later because they have a virus. It gets frustrating. I'm sure you've experienced the same.

Yep there's a nasty Trojan that pops up in adobe. Norton blocks the hell out of it for me though fortunatly.

This explains why adobe updater always tries to open for me when I log on here. I haven't let it. I was wondering why. That usually only happens when I am viewing a PDF document. Thankfully I leave my zone alarm set where it prompts me when any application is trying to access the internet. It can be annoying but I like to see what is happening all the time.

The last Trojan I had was a real PITA. It disabled system restore and blocked all my virus tools from zapping it. Also any search engine used would redirect to an add site. I had to manually type the URL of the search results in a new window, couldn't click on them. I beat it by changing the name of the .exe file for my virus scanners. For example AVG.exe to 1234.exe. I was backing up all my data preparing to reformat the hard drive before I found the fix.

Sorry if it came across as if I was disagreeing with you, I wasn't.

:wink: I didn't take it that way at all. You were simply stating that you felt that Finheaven should be responsible for making sure that the site is as safe as possible for it's guests. I agree. The staff should do that. The bottom line is that the individual needs to take on more of a role of protecting themselves because even though FH is trying their best to do the right thing, there is always someone out there that is looking to cause problems....

I can't tell you how many times I've told family and friends to switch to Firefox, install adblock, etc. and keep on top of updated security; and I can't tell you how many times I've been brushed off, only to hear them crying later because they have a virus. It gets frustrating. I'm sure you've experienced the same.

Once it got to the point that everyone in my household of 4 was using computers a lot, I came to the conclusion that I needed to re-evaluate how best to provide them with access. We were windows users and I am really the only person that thinks about safety on the front end. They just wanted everything to work. My two children were 12 & 5 at the time.

Well, I had to get everyone their own PC and being that I am not made of money, cost of maintenance was definitely a huge factor. That's when I started to look at alternative operating systems and other open source software. Initially, I set up a couple of PCs for me so that I could test various options. Each of the PCs had a Windows partition and also some type of Unix-like partition setup to dual-boot. I tried several operating systems before settling on one, Ubuntu, that I felt would make it easiest for me to migrate my users from Windows. I then setup all of their PCs with a dual-boot configuration of Windows/Ubuntu and explained to my users that going forward we would be primarily a Linux household as licenses expired for the Windows based stuff.

I got all kinds of resistance! I had to educate them of how they would be able to do all of the things that they were doing, have the ability to do more than they were doing and do all of this while working in a safer environment. "How am I going to work without Office and Outlook?", they would ask. "Try OpenOffice and Evolution", I replied. "How will I edit my photos?", they asked. "Check out Gimp", I answered.

That's a small taste of what I got from them during the early stages of the migration. They still had Windows so they tended to use it more. The exception to that was my 5 year old. She began using Linux almost exclusively shortly after they were introduced. It helped that she had access to a multitude of games for fun and educational purposes that she did not have when she used Windows. She was hooked!

My wife and oldest child were pretty basic users and the resistance that they were putting up was more fear of the unknown than anything else. People don't tend to like change. Would you believe that I had to make appointments with them in my own house to provide training for them? It's true!

Gradually they began to realize that open source not only allowed them to continue functioning as they had been doing in Windows but also gave them the opportunity to try other things that they had previously not been interested in before. They now had access to applications that would allow them to be more productive, creative, educate themselves and be entertained. All of this while being safer than Windows.

Oh, they still don't really care about the safety aspect very much. They just want it to work. That's how most people are. They don't think about what it takes from a standpoint of keeping things working. Just make sure that I can get to Youtube, write my paper, check my email, etc., etc.

I know that I have rambled on here. :chuckle: I guess that the point that I am making is that most people do not want to try anything different if it entails them having to put forth the effort into learing something new. Migrating my family never would have worked if I had not taken the steps that I took to educate them on the benefits of the migration. Those people that you mentioned Firefox and Adblock to are that way also. They want the additional protection but they don't want the responsibility of learning something new. That's true even if it's not that difficult a thing to do. They just want everything to work....

I get A Virus warning when I use INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX....
Does not matter....
I am glad I am not the only one having problems since all this AD BS.
Now the big question is should I become a VIP or buy better antivirus? ......

Your missing the most important part of the equation and that's Noscript. No script will prevent any script from running from any website without your permission. If one of these adds contain a script (and this goes for ANY SITE) that transfers a virus or even spam to your computer Noscript will stop it. When you will get is a small bar at the bottom of your page letting you know scripts have been prevented on this page. If you click the options button on the bottom right you can allow or disallow any aspect of any script that is used to create the web pages. Even adds. SO just having and using firefox alone will not protect your computer from these typs of attacks.

firefox-1.png

What's Up F H?

I have gotten 4 alerts on Trojan Horses trying to pick on me, and 3 others trying to give me "stuff" I do not want. Everything attempted was blocked, and not a problem.

However, I am concerned for other posters who may not have the same security.

Chances are, you will move this thread, and I TOTALLY DISAGREE with that. This is where YOUR people are posting, and deserve answers.

Getting VIP's is great but, NOT at the expense of the posters who make this site.

Are you aware of the problem? Are you doing anything about it?

An answer, or at least an explanation is well warranted.

I have gotten 4 alerts on Trojan Horses trying to pick on me, and 3 others trying to give me "stuff" I do not want. Everything attempted was blocked, and not a problem.

However, I am concerned for other posters who may not have the same security.

Chances are, you will move this thread, and I TOTALLY DISAGREE with that. This is where YOUR people are posting, and deserve answers.

Getting VIP's is great but, NOT at the expense of the posters who make this site.

Are you aware of the problem? Are you doing anything about it?

An answer, or at least an explanation is well warranted.

Please see this thread and pay close attention to the comments about using firefox and Noscript.

"Congratulations, you won"

Any time i open a new tab for a thread this always comes on to my speakers. I do not see any advertisement that has that on it but every time i open a thread it blares over my speakers

Thanks, I appreciate the thought. I have avast, and do not have a problem. My concerns were for other posters, not myself.

Don't be duped into thinking that Avast is 100% fool-proof. You still need to think about other means of preventing an infection instead of just relying on your virus protection only. Each of the Anti-Virus products have their strengths & weaknesses. None of them provides absolute protection.

We are aware there is a problem and we are working towards a solution. This is not a conspiracy to sign up for VIP or anything like that. There appears to be something attached to one of the ads and we are working fast to solve the problem.

Just so you all know, this ad problem has affected me also. For the time being if you do get one of these messages, restore your computer back to an earlier date and that will solve the problem. If you can not restore your computer, run it in safe mode, then you can restore it. Again, we ARE aware of the problem, we are working to fix it, and we are extremely sorry for any inconvenience this is causing.

Your missing the most important part of the equation and that's Noscript. No script will prevent any script from running from any website without your permission. If one of these adds contain a script (and this goes for ANY SITE) that transfers a virus or even spam to your computer Noscript will stop it. When you will get is a small bar at the bottom of your page letting you know scripts have been prevented on this page. If you click the options button on the bottom right you can allow or disallow any aspect of any script that is used to create the web pages. Even adds. SO just having and using firefox alone will not protect your computer from these typs of attacks.

firefox-1.png

Nice screen shot! To make NoScript work best, the user needs to take the time to learn what to block and what not to block. Some of the scripts that run are good & necessary for the functionality of the site. Others are used for things that are unnecessary for most visitors such as tracking, etc. Ideally you do not want to see that yellow bar at the bottom of the screen.

attachment.php

Also there are lots of other Firefox add-ons that do a great job making it a better option for browsing than Internet Explorer.

Attachments

• finheaven.png
    finheaven.png
    249.7 KB · Views: 44
Nice screen shot! To make NoScript work best, the user needs to take the time to learn what to block and what not to block. Some of the scripts that run are good & necessary for the functionality of the site. Others are used for things that are unnecessary for most visitors such as tracking, etc. Ideally you do not want to see that yellow bar at the bottom of the screen.

attachment.php

Also there are lots of other Firefox add-ons that do a great job making it a better option for browsing than Internet Explorer.

Thank you. FOr this site all that I allow are A) this site obviously lol and b) yahooapis

If you only allowed this site to run it would still work fine you just wouldn't have the fly-outs from what I have tested so far.

Don't be duped into thinking that Avast is 100% fool-proof. You still need to think about other means of preventing an infection instead of just relying on your virus protection only. Each of the Anti-Virus products have their strengths & weaknesses. None of them provides absolute protection.

I do have more than just virus protection. I believe there are some Phans who have nothing, and just wanna talk about their team. That is a bigger concern.

We are aware there is a problem and we are working towards a solution. This is not a conspiracy to sign up for VIP or anything like that. There appears to be something attached to one of the ads and we are working fast to solve the problem.

Just so you all know, this ad problem has affected me also. For the time being if you do get one of these messages, restore your computer back to an earlier date and that will solve the problem. If you can not restore your computer, run it in safe mode, then you can restore it. Again, we ARE aware of the problem, we are working to fix it, and we are extremely sorry for any inconvenience this is causing.

Nublar,

Little more can be asked, other than letting people know of the problem and risks. I know that is not good for business. However, I do believe it to be you obligation, as you are aware of the problem.

Nublar,

Little more can be asked, other than letting people know of the problem and risks. I know that is not good for business. However, I do believe it to be you obligation, as you are aware of the problem.
We never said it wasn't. As a matter of fact, we've said quite the opposite multiple times.

Back
Top Bottom