MergedX3: Cowher passes on New York | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MergedX3: Cowher passes on New York

Come now guys, by know you should know all these coaches lie about their availability to get the most money they can. Once they plop enough money he'll come to NY or anywhere else thats willing to pay up.

So what.

All these previously great coaches who step out of the game for a couple of years and then decide to comeback usually suck big time in their second stint.

JJ and Gibbs being two primary examples. Gibbs was twice the coach Cowher was.

So come on back Bill. Get your money so that Jets fans will have yet something else to be disappointed in.

I heard on NFL radio he declined to even interview! HAHAHA!

LETS GO FINS!

Wasn't it most receptions by an undrafted free agent ?

That might be it. I didnt think they were using the word "History" literally in the article but yes he might hold that record.

Chrebet was a good player. Nothing special. Had a ton of heart and was a gamer and good coaches like Parcells loved him. Its a shame he got hurt. He's only 35 years old. A huge fan favorite. The stadium probably got the loudest on a given play when he got the ball. Just one of those guys.

As far as Cowher goes. He's a good coach. He's not great though. It's not Bellicheck or Parcells coming to coach the team. He's had a lot of big game losses in his career. IF the Jets get him the one thing that is a positive is consistancy. He always puts a good product on the field. However he never has had to pick his own players which apperently is something he wants to do.

I think he wants to coach the Jets. He said no to the Lions and Browns and is willing to talk to the Jets. It seems to me that there the only team he would be willing to come out of retirment this year to coach. It makes sense. New York is a big market and pays well and his daughter goes to Princeton. But it looks like the Jets are going to have to meet a couple of demands which might include having Tannenbaum give some GM control to Cowher. I'd probably do it if I were the Jets

Out of all the guys out there right now he is the guy I want but I dont regard him as a great Head Coach. He's very good. But not great.

You mean, sort of like Don Shula in the 80s and 90s? Except he didn't win anything...

If you want to argue that a guy that got to two SuperBowls, won one, got 9 division championships (and 10 playoff appearances) over 15 years, is NOT a good coach... Well, you better bring something else than "how many teams he let get away". Because those teams were great BECAUSE of him in the first place.

PS - No, I'm not criticizing Shula. Well, not more than usual, anyway.

There is one problem with your logic amigo. Cowher had a whole history of Pro Bowl/Hall of Fame players on his squad during most of his tenure there while Shula had very little to work with after the mid-70's. With the kind of talent Cowher had he should have won more than ONE Superbowl during his tenure. Ask real Steeler fans what they think of Cowher as a coach and they will say he is/was very OVERRATED!!!

I don't think he'll touch that mess (the Jets) unless they give him FULL control....which I doubt they will. Even if they DO hire him, who's going to be their QB next season????

There is one problem with your logic amigo. Cowher had a whole history of Pro Bowl/Hall of Fame players on his squad during most of his tenure there while Shula had very little to work with after the mid-70's. With the kind of talent Cowher had he should have won more than ONE Superbowl during his tenure. Ask real Steeler fans what they think of Cowher as a coach and they will say he is/was very OVERRATED!!!

Who are these HOF players? Woodson sticks out but that's obvious. Bettis also. He had a bunch of players who he got the most out of. Roethislinberger has a chance but he's still got a long way to go. Guys like Greene, Lloyd, Kirkland were good but they aren't HOF players.

I don't get where the real Steelers fans who would claim that Cowher is overrated are. Probably the same place that the experts who believe Brady is overrated are at.

Cowher would be a great hire. The Jets have issues but we've just witnessed what a guy who comes in and changes the atmosphere around a franchise can do.

Parcells being involved with the Dolphins, Belicheck running the Pats, and Cowher running Jets would make great rivalry games, IMO. While Jauron being told he'll be returning to Buffalo makes the Bills a joke.

Dude, saying Cowher isn't good..... Is retarded. If the Jets don't get him I will still say hes a great coach. The guy has done more in 15 seasons then the Jets done in 40!!

Just to let you guys know, the reason why he has interest in the Jets is because it possibly is the "right situation" that he has been talking about. He would be close to his 2 daughters who one is at princeton the other works in the area I heard. His youngest is a SR in HS. The Jets will offer a bunch of money because they need him to help generate interest to sell PSL for the new stadium.
The Jets are willing to do what ever it takes to get him if he has interest.

Excuse me? Shula had "very little to work with"?

I cannot begin to understand where you get that from. I don't even want to argue the embarrassment of riches we had back in the 80s and 90s.

Just as we had talent offensively, the Cowher Steelers had talent defensively. And just as we sucked at attaining defensive talent, they sucked at getting offensive talent. Or need I remind you of Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox? Hall of Famers, I tell ya.

Look, I'm not saying Cowher is the best coach in the face of the earth. But to argue he's overrated, as a coach? No way. Wannstedt was overrated. Cowher earned his status.

I Hope He Doesnt Go.. I Do Not Wanna Face Cowher Twice A Year. And U Know He Would Do Anything Possible To Bring Cassell To The Jets. And That Would Suck For Us.!
Cassel is a product of a system. I hope to dear God the Jets bring the 2009 Free Agent Bust of the Year in.

Back
Top Bottom