Miami Dolphins $13.6 million under cap | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins $13.6 million under cap

just seen in the proposal that the salary cap if agreed upon by the players is going to be 142.4 mil for each club i hope this is one that holds up it will help us alot more if so

I'm in the camp that feels that V. Carey is a very good RT that should be an elite, HOF RT. However, the talk of cutting him makes my head spin. Our line was pathetic last year and the tackles were the only bright spot.

If you cut salary on the line in order to add at the RB position, good luck. History has shown this works out well. Please name an effective runner with a sh&# Oline outside of Barry Sanders and W. Payton. E. Smith is the all-time rushing champ because of O-line. Look at J. Bettis stats with the Rams Oline vs Steelers Oline. Paying $ for a FA RB is unwise as history can backp up.

Murtha? Really?

It's only going to be 120 million, but there's also going to be two provisions allowing an extra 6.5 million of cap space although 3 million of it would been borrowed from a future year.

There are 10 teams with over $30M in cap space, so we really aren't in that good shape. With Long, Marshall, Dansby, and Soliai, we have 4 guys that are at the top of the pay scales for their positions. It's hard to commit that much in money to 4 players and be in great salary cap shape. As for cutting Carey, he got a $12M signing bonus, spread out over the life of the contract (6 years). We cut him now, we take an $8M hit on the remaining part of his signing bonus that hasn't been counted against the cap yet. We'd save $6M on his cap number this year, but the net effect would be an additional hit of $2M. So, he won't be cut until next year at the earliest.

This is what I would do.

UDFA
Derrick Locke RB Kentucky
Wesley Saunders TE South Carolina
Mark Herzlich LB Boston College

Cuts
Vernon Carey O-Line
Lou Polite FB
Tyron Culver S
Benny Sapp CB

Sign
Ahmad Bradshaw or Deangleo Williams
Marshall Yanda or Logan Mankins if he is a free agent
Donovan Mcnabb but first try and trade for Carson
Antwan Barnes if we have left over money

People may disagree with McNabb but he seemed to have one bad year on a terrible team and everyone thinks he is done. Sign him cheap and give him a shot because we can provide him help.

This is what I would do.

UDFA

Cuts
Vernon Carey O-Line
Lou Polite FB
Tyron Culver S
Benny Sapp CB

Sign

People may disagree with McNabb but he seemed to have one bad year on a terrible team and everyone thinks he is done. Sign him cheap and give him a shot because we can provide him help.

I think your on fantasy island

This is what I would do.

UDFA

Cuts
Vernon Carey O-Line
Lou Polite FB
Tyron Culver S
Benny Sapp CB

Sign

i agree 100% with you bro if we cant get palmer get mcnabb on the cheap and roll the dice

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

I think your on fantasy island

why you think that ?

We need to sign Bradshaw and a QB, hopefully Orton first. Then a solid guard. Defensively we just need a LB, and we can even bring JT back at the vet minimum for depth. So RB, QB, LG, LB would be my order. We can't cut Carey because he is solid. He's not great by any means, but he gets the job done. He does however have to restructure, which I think he will. If Crowder doesn't restructure we should cut him too. Get another starting caliber LB. Ross wants to build a winner, he want to create a buzz around the team. I'm pretty confident we will be big players in FA and we will get Bradshaw and either Orton or Young.

How is that? McNabb and Barnes is cheap. After the Cuts we will have plenty of money to give a RB and a Lineman a good contract.

Number one, keep in mind that the $13.6M below the cap doesn't include any of our draft picks or our own free agents. It's going to take approximately $6M to sign the draft picks, and then another couple million to re-sign Nate Garner, Lex Hilliard, Kory Sheets, and likely at least one of Lydon Murtha or Pat McQuistan. That leaves maybe $6M for free agency.

As for the suggested cuts, cutting Vernon Carey would actually reduce our room under the cap by $2M. Because we'd have to accelerate $8M of his signing bonus on to this year's cap, cutting him costs us $2M. That brings us to $4M under the cap. Cutting Sapp, Culver, and Polite saves about $3M. Again, their signing bonuses have to be factored in, so the savings aren't as much as they may look when you just look at their salaries. That brings us to $7M under the cap.

The market for Logan Mankins alone is around $10M per season. Carson Palmer has a $12M salary. Yanda can expect to get a deal worth about $5M per season. Bradshaw and Williams can each probably expect deals worth at least $5M per season, maybe more.

Heck, we offered Tyler Thigpen a $1.9M tender to come back, and he's going to test the open market. Any sort of decent backup QB is going to cost at least $2M per season. And that's for the Matt Moore type of backup QB.

Number one, keep in mind that the $13.6M below the cap doesn't include any of our draft picks or our own free agents. It's going to take approximately $6M to sign the draft picks, and then another couple million to re-sign Nate Garner, Lex Hilliard, Kory Sheets, and likely at least one of Lydon Murtha or Pat McQuistan. That leaves maybe $6M for free agency.

As for the suggested cuts, cutting Vernon Carey would actually reduce our room under the cap by $2M. Because we'd have to accelerate $8M of his signing bonus on to this year's cap, cutting him costs us $2M. That brings us to $4M under the cap. Cutting Sapp, Culver, and Polite saves about $3M. Again, their signing bonuses have to be factored in, so the savings aren't as much as they may look when you just look at their salaries. That brings us to $7M under the cap.

The market for Logan Mankins alone is around $10M per season. Carson Palmer has a $12M salary. Yanda can expect to get a deal worth about $5M per season. Bradshaw and Williams can each probably expect deals worth at least $5M per season, maybe more.

Heck, we offered Tyler Thigpen a $1.9M tender to come back, and he's going to test the open market. Any sort of decent backup QB is going to cost at least $2M per season. And that's for the Matt Moore type of backup QB.

Soliai will get a long term deal and bring it right back to $14M.. There likely will be more restructuring with other players bringing in more cap room. And possibly another cut or two that we don't foresee.

i agree 100% with you bro if we cant get palmer get mcnabb on the cheap and roll the dice

---------- Post added at 03:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

why you think that ?

It's very unlikely that any of the biggest targets this off-season might come cheap, so you're right.

Having in mind that unless something weird happens, Donovan McNabb will ask something close to $14 million for 2011, signing bonus included, with our current salary cap, it's almost impossible to consider him as an option for Miami.

Then as Carson Palmer is jaded of Bengals FO his price tag is a matter for fortune tellers, as it might be varying from $910,000 (veteran minimum) to something above $11.5 million (his current contract salary for 2011) for the season plus signing bonus.
But the biggest cost on him is linked to draft picks, as Cincinnati is playing hard about him looking decided to let him retire before trading him, so a cheap trade looks almost impossible. Think on a pair of first rounders to make it happen, nothing close to our FO ideas.

Back
Top Bottom