Miami Dolphins 2011 draft plan revealed | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins 2011 draft plan revealed

if we want a deangelo williams type player why not just sign him in free agency??? makes sense to me and then we can fill another need with a top pick...

I'm sure the Dolphins would be glad to do so, if he ends up a free agent. He's finishing up his 5th year right now. There are too many CBA issues to sort out. As we speak nobody becomes a UFA unless they've completed 6 seasons in the league. That could change when/if they agree on a new CBA. If it does change and he does become a free agent, I have no doubt the Panthers will use the franchise tag on him. As things stand, earlier this year several teams called the Panthers and inquired if they could pry DeAngelo out of them for I believe a 2nd round pick was what teams were offering. The Panthers said no.

Wouldn't surprise me if Miami was one of those teams. Nor would it surprise me if their offer was Ronnie Brown straight up.

Devlin is starting to sound like a guy who will go from nobody to 2nd round pick by the time the Combine is over

Henne was a projected 4th or 5th rounder going into the combine..

Anything can happen.

Is Devlin a first rounder though? Wouldn't it make more sense to trade down grab a rb/other position of need in the first then take Devlin in the 2nd?

Not worth the risk IMO. If you miss on Devlin then where do you go to find the QB of the future?

Is Devlin a first rounder though? Wouldn't it make more sense to trade down grab a rb/other position of need in the first then take Devlin in the 2nd?

to trade down somebody has to want to trade up

I hope this happens again since we don't and a 2nd rounder

I'm sure the Dolphins would be glad to do so, if he ends up a free agent. He's finishing up his 5th year right now. There are too many CBA issues to sort out. As we speak nobody becomes a UFA unless they've completed 6 seasons in the league. That could change when/if they agree on a new CBA. If it does change and he does become a free agent, I have no doubt the Panthers will use the franchise tag on him. As things stand, earlier this year several teams called the Panthers and inquired if they could pry DeAngelo out of them for I believe a 2nd round pick was what teams were offering. The Panthers said no.

Wouldn't surprise me if Miami was one of those teams. Nor would it surprise me if their offer was Ronnie Brown straight up.

Panthers probably left when we said we would give them Ronnie Brown...

I wonder what 2nd rounder we would have offered....2012?

Fact is your probably right..Panthers are not going to let him go without a fight..Williams is a very good player and the Panthers dont have much right now.

He could be a 1st rounder. He's not one right now because he's just been playing at Delaware against a really low level of competition. The Senior Bowl is going to be a huge part of his grade. As far as I know he's the only QB that's already been invited to the Senior Bowl. He'll get his chance to show his stuff there. Hopefully Locker also goes.

I have my questions about him. He played for Delaware it's not like I've been able to watch 5 games of his. I've seen enough to have a pretty high opinion of him, but I do need to see more. I need to feel his throwing power on some of those 20-25 yard throws. I need to see how he handles NFL caliber athletes trying to clobber him.

I had never heard of Devlin or the Chargers QB coach until CKP mentioned them

then suddenly everybody knew about these guys all along

:rolleyes2::rolleyes2::rolleyes2:

I knew about him before it was cool. Of course, I'm from PA so his story happened in my backyard. Originally committed to the Hurricanes, but decided against it. Transferred cause Darryl Clark was offered a 6th year of eligibility (went to prep school then redshirted).

He told you to keep it under your hat so you posted it in one of the public forums of the most popular Dolphins message board. LMFAO.

No offense to you, I would kind of assume you're full of it on this, but you happen to be talking about a QB that's on my short list, a guy I really like a lot, and the RB strategy is exactly what I would have thought as well (right down to Ronnie being allowed to leave while Ricky stays, and the new guy coming in the 2nd round, like a Kendall Hunter).

So, maybe you're not full of it.

dont shoot the messenger. lol...

i think the panthers will let williams go...frugal team we're talking about...they have stewart and goodson as a change of pace speed back...if i'm miami and assuming the cba is agreed to and free agency goes as planned i'm going all in for mankins and williams this year...they'd be my targets

williams is exactly what this team needs at rb...exactly

I can confirm that Jake Locker, Jerrod Johnson, Colin Kaepernick, Greg McElroy, and Christian Ponder have all received invitations to play in the Senior Bowl in Mobile...

..that leaves one spot for either Devlin, Stanzi, or Nathan Enderle..

The rest of these guys are going to have to go to East/West Shrine Games, Texas vs. The Nation, etc... other All-Star games where scouts will get a better look at them..

There's also a new All-Star game this year for prospects that's supposed to be played in the Alamo Dome I think...

That's the other thing of course. So much changes between now and then that if I were Ireland, I wouldn't particularly care who I told what, at this stage.

But along the lines of "this guy might actually be telling the truth", Pat Devlin = Tom Brady is a comparison that actually struck me while watching Devlin, and usually when people compare Devlin to anyone it's to Joe Flacco (mostly because they've never seen Devlin play football and they therefore can't get beyond the uniform).

Actually he told me i could blab to whoever i wanted because no one would believe me. I never heard of Pat till he brought it up.
Jeff and I go way back.

I knew about him before it was cool. Of course, I'm from PA so his story happened in my backyard. Originally committed to the Hurricanes, but decided against it. Transferred cause Darryl Clark was offered a 6th year of eligibility (went to prep school then redshirted).

sorry dude

I can confirm that Jake Locker, Jerrod Johnson, Colin Kaepernick, Greg McElroy, and Christian Ponder have all received invitations to play in the Senior Bowl in Mobile...

..that leaves one spot for either Devlin, Stanzi, or Nathan Enderle..

The rest of these guys are going to have to go to East/West Shrine Games, Texas vs. The Nation, etc... other All-Star games where scouts will get a better look at them..

There's also a new All-Star game this year for prospects that's supposed to be played in the Alamo Dome I think...

That conflicts with what I'd heard. I had heard that Senior Bowl invitees included Stephen Paea, Prince Amukamara, Adrian Clayborn, Jalil Brown, Jimmy Smith, Davone House, Von Miller, Jeremy Bael, Casey Matthews, Shareece Wright, Cameron Heyward, Cameron Jordan, Ryan Kerrigan, Phil Taylor, Chris O'Dowd', Stanley Havili, Pat Devlin, and Brandon Fusco.

i think the panthers will let williams go...frugal team we're talking about...they have stewart and goodson as a change of pace speed back...if i'm miami and assuming the cba is agreed to and free agency goes as planned i'm going all in for mankins and williams this year...they'd be my targets

williams is exactly what this team needs at rb...exactly

That could happen. I have a hard time seeing them let him go but it could happen. If so, yes I agree he's the type of back we could really use.

Actually he told me i could blab to whoever i wanted because no one would believe me. I never heard of Pat till he brought it up.
Jeff and I go way back.

Well, dammit. I guess I'll have to download a few Delaware games then.

Back
Top Bottom