Miami Dolphins 2011 draft plan revealed | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins 2011 draft plan revealed

Something about his release reminds me of Bradford.

But, more over-the-top. The way, though, he whips it from his chest reminds me of Bradford.

Bad news people. According to my online verizon fios account. ESPN2 will be showing Richmond vs Appalachian State this Friday at 8 pm.

So, I'm the lame kid that has never seen a single non-youtube Devlin snap. His release and his mobility - specifically the way he moves to make throws - are exciting. Can't help but think of many of the things Henne is not when watching him move and throw.

Care to enlighten the ones that haven't seen a YouTube or Non YouTube highlight of Pat Devlin?

As CK mentioned, Devlin was a highly sought after recruit.

Devlin owns the high school record for passing yards in the state of Pennsylvania. Here are some notable QB's from that state,

Joe Montana
Johnny Unitas
Dan Marino
Jim Kelly
Joe Namath
Rich Gannon

That's some good company. Arguably 3 of the top 5 QB's of all-time.

I favor Flacco because of his size and he outproduced Devlin during his time at Delaware

Looking a little deeper on what Devlin had to work with at Delaware in comparison to Flacco-

Is Pat Devlin a First Round Prospect?

Pat Devlin is probably a better pure passer than Joe Flacco, based on their respective high school careers, recruiting hype, and first year statistics at Delaware. The biggest difference in between their two seasons is probably the number of passes attempted. It’s not like Devlin wasn’t the unquestioned QB of the Blue Hens last year; only 7 attempted passes last year by the team were not thrown by him. Still, he threw about 70 fewer passes than Flacco did, and was sacked 26 times, more sacks in 2009 than Flacco had in his Blue Hen career.

The other factor here is that by my accounts, Flacco had the better pieces. RB Omar Cuff, in four years at Delaware — the last two with Flacco — never failed to average at least 4.4 yards per carry, and truth be told, his 5.0 YPC senior season led the Blue Hens offense. Flacco really just managed it and converted third downs. Cuff scored 39 (!) offensive touchdowns that year. Devlin inherits no such running game. The offensive line should be improved this year, but last year, UDel runners combined to average fewer than 3.5 yards per carry (team total of 3.1 includes Devlin sacks), and just 16 TDs, which matched Devlin’s personal total. Things will be better this year, to an extent, but what won’t change is that unlike Flacco’s senior season, what is accomplished by the Hens will be accomplished by Devlin.

Devlin appears poised to blow away all of Flacco’s records from 2007, but the Hens are not as good of a team as they were that year. They are a good bet to get to the postseason on the strength of a 4500 yard passing season from Devlin in which he obliterates the school passing TD record, but they aren’t the best team in the CAA by any stretch, and are looking at a 7-4 or 8-3 season. They have a brutal road schedule (though a very favorable home slate), having to face FCS powers Richmond, James Madison, William & Mary, and UMass all away from home.

http://liveballsports.com/2010/05/25/is-pat-devlin-a-first-round-prospect/

Bad news people. According to my online verizon fios account. ESPN2 will be showing Richmond vs Appalachian State this Friday at 8 pm.

If your ISP allows ESPN3 you can watch the game online. It will be shown there on Friday at 8:00 PM.

What an epic thread and what a pleasant surprise! Kudos to OP and all!

Devlin: does not have release like Flacco, who with Rodgers, and Manning, Rivers on a good day, has the quickest and strongest gun in the league. He's got a bit of a winder, nothing major, but it's not the Flacc, Marino release for sure. He does anticipate well, as his throws to first option are always before the receivers gets open. Accuracy is a bit of an issue, but since he's not a cannon slinger the ball is always catchable even if a bit off.

Hunter: in second round sounds like another 2nd round bust. But that's to be expected.

Newton: I love his height and gun. But I am wary of QBs who think run first. Not that Thigy does that at Phins, but he is mobile. Pat White and Thigy have not thrived with Phins coaching staff. I doubt Newton would. Newton is great on designed passing plays with his vision from 6-6 tall, and in college there is space for running from the shutgun. I guess my point is, for those who want Newton, you better hope Ross changes coaches and new coaches have philosophy that suites Newton. I think in NFL, for Newton, blocking scheme has to be designed to open lanes for Newton up front, or he needs to be told to go outside and then pass.

Luck is the sh.t. That's a Phillip Rivers right there. Why, dear lord, do we always miss on great QBs? An it looks like this year will not be an exception.

There are tons of running backs in the draft. While RB position has become a problem at Phins, I am not worried about finding a RB one bit. There are plenty out there.

I don't see a slow release either. Just from a quick trip to YouTube, the ball seems to go from chest to up and out. There is no looping motion. Anyone with knowledge of strength and distance of his arm?

Yea, I couldn't imagine great arm strength based on throwing motion. It looks like it could be enough. I think I am like everyone else and would like to see more. I am definitely intrigued.

I wouldn't mind trading down, picking up a 2nd, and drafting Devlin. I also wouldn't mind staying and hoping Newton falls to us. I think QB, RB, TE, ILB, and OL should be our focuses on the draft. I know Edds is coming back but I still want another prospect to compete with Dobbins and Edds for Crowder's spot (I think we will try to see what we can get for him). We are set at D-line so we shouldnt be looking at that. We have a good secondary, maybe a corner would be possible, but I think we are just going to wait and see if Will Allen comes back strong. On the offense, we need a TE so bad its ridiculous. We need to grab one in the first 3 rounds and make Fasano a number 2 (which he normally is). We won't resign Ronnie which is too bad because we don't know how to use him, so drafting a runningback is crucial this draft. Any good prospects out there at the RB position? OL i wouldn't draft, I would like to see some vets come in and hope Garner comes back strong and sends Incognito to the bench. I wouldn't mind trying to get another WR in here, like a small speed guy who can return and stretch the field for our offense. I think we are going to try to trade some of our players to get more picks. Of them I wouldn't mind trading:

Channing Crowder (maybe a 4-5thrd pick hopefully)
Chad Henne (Arizona could give up a 4-5th as well)
Pat Cobbs (6-7th)

If we draft a QB high I think Henne will give up playing for us and wouldn't accept the back up role. I would rather try to develop Thigpen anyways because I like his mentality, he just needs to mature.

so, what good RB and TE prospects are out there?

Back
Top Bottom