Miami Dolphins need to rethink roster, philosophy, coaching staff | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami Dolphins need to rethink roster, philosophy, coaching staff

These three links suggest that Washington's won-loss record during Cousins's tenure is due to reasons other than Cousins:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb2016
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb2015

Those statistics account for the strength of opposing defenses in determining quarterbacks' ratings. And note where Cousins fell in comparison to Tannehill in 2015 and 2016.

Statistically Cousins is a great QB, but he struggles in big games against stiff competition, even Redskins fans know that.

Tannehill hasn't had too many big games in his career either, but I still think he is a better QB than Cousins because he is more talented and typically less turnover prone (which is why we beat them in week 1 a few years ago).

Cousins has a tendency to throw game killing picks against good teams, for example in this game below at the 5:40 mark in the youtube video, I don't think Tannehill makes this horrible game killing throw...

Last edited:
Based on this season and what's reasonable in terms of improvement for this team from this season to the next (including Tannehill's return), I'd predict a record between 6-10 and 8-8 next year.

I get what you are saying, but, without the full offseason past us, you cant predict a record for next year. So many injuries mounted up, what about the return of Lippett, McMillan, growth from Godchaux, Tank, Howard, Harris. Add in some more talent/youth at all levels of the D and there is no reason it can't improve.

Then factor in, hopefully, a revamped OL, and the offense will be better in better shape - defense on the field less, in theory.

So I'm gonna say 8-8 to 11-5. Why not?

...well the why not is probably tannenbaum.

If Harbaugh doesn’t put himself into the mix and Gase stays, these things must happen at a minimum:

1-New D coordinator (Schiano?)
2-New Oline coach (preferably someone without a drug/hooker problem)
3-New O coordinator who calls plays
4-Cut Kiko and Timmons
5-Cut Pouncey, Bushrod, James and Sam Young
6-Cut Damian Williams
7-Cut Grant
8-Cut J Thomas
9-Cut McCain

Draft
1st-CB, DE, LB, RT, C
2nd-QB
3rd-BPA, RB
4th-OG, C
4th-OG, C

Like it.
In my world I would do the following:

1-New "D" coordinator, someone who is proven, preferably a press/man along w blitzes philosophy
2-New O-Line Coach, again a proven guy would be nice
3-Cut Kiko & Timmons
4- Cut Pouncey, James, let Bushrod walk (retire)
5-Rework Williams or cut
6-Cut Grant
7-Cut J.Thomas (today preferablly)
8-Figure out Suh salary situation. Can't have him at $28 million/year
9-Cut Branch
10-Trade Parker
11-Sign or tag Laundry

Draft:
1st - Priority would be to trade down and get as many picks as possible. Draft "Sam" LBer, OG, RB, WR, TE
2nd - Should be able to get the best Center in the second round. Maybe have another second from a Parker trade-thus drafting one of the 5 needs mentioned in the 1st that haven't been addressed
3rd and the rest of draft BPA and/or needs
*** In the draft they always need to take a CB and DT at some point throughout***

Then and only will we be onto something. Should we stay pat, another similar season could be repeated....

Like it.
In my world I would do the following:

1-New "D" coordinator, someone who is proven, preferably a press/man along w blitzes philosophy
2-New O-Line Coach, again a proven guy would be nice
3-Cut Kiko & Timmons
4- Cut Pouncey, James, let Bushrod walk (retire)
5-Rework Williams or cut
6-Cut Grant
7-Cut J.Thomas (today preferablly)
8-Figure out Suh salary situation. Can't have him at $28 million/year
9-Cut Branch
10-Trade Parker
11-Sign or tag Laundry

Draft:
1st - Priority would be to trade down and get as many picks as possible. Draft "Sam" LBer, OG, RB, WR, TE
2nd - Should be able to get the best Center in the second round. Maybe have another second from a Parker trade-thus drafting one of the 5 needs mentioned in the 1st that haven't been addressed
3rd and the rest of draft BPA and/or needs
*** In the draft they always need to take a CB and DT at some point throughout***

Then and only will we be onto something. Should we stay pat, another similar season could be repeated....

3. Kiko wont be cut, that would cost them $13m against the cap next year. Timmons could be but still going to cost them $2.7m unless he is a post June 1 cut.

4. Pouncey wont be cut. Gase loves him. He would be a $2m cap hit if cut him, but I could see a restructure. I would like to see him gone, but don't think that's happening. James has played the best of the O Line this year, my guess is they will sign him to a contract and he wont cost $9m next year. Bushrod is only signed through this year.

9. Cutting Branch gives them an $11m salary hit, not happening.

3. Kiko wont be cut, that would cost them $13m against the cap next year. Timmons could be but still going to cost them $2.7m unless he is a post June 1 cut.

4. Pouncey wont be cut. Gase loves him. He would be a $2m cap hit if cut him, but I could see a restructure. I would like to see him gone, but don't think that's happening. James has played the best of the O Line this year, my guess is they will sign him to a contract and he wont cost $9m next year. Bushrod is only signed through this year.

9. Cutting Branch gives them an $11m salary hit, not happening.

F**king Tannebaum and his irresponsible contracts. Same thing he did with the Jets!!! Damn

F**king Tannebaum and his irresponsible contracts. Same thing he did with the Jets!!! Damn

I'll never understand why Ross allows Baum to go in a hidden office, pick players while getting no advice, dole out contracts with no advice, and trade players like JA without input from ANYone. Yup, it's all Baum's fault. He signed JT, Cutler, and Larsen just so Gase couldn't complain much.

Ross will probably keep Gase for the next 5 years. Even if Gase finishes 7-9 or worse in all of those years.

I forsee the same thing. The issues with Miami starts at the top. The owner is balless and has no spine. I wish that I was a billion and the owner. I would fire everyone. TannenBUM first! But, Gase and TannenBUM will be with Miami for at least the next 5 years and will always be mediocre.

I think the big nickel thing has gone out the window. Tj McDonald hasn’t sniffed the role.

Basically played a full time safety. Miami may be like many teams that only would go to it if lb attrition left them dire like Pittsburgh did with william gay the other night.

Doesn’t seem like it’s a package we will employ which also means hybrid types need not apply

Don't have the time or inclination to dig up all the old posts about our team not locking up players before they peaked and then not being able to keep them. Now, it's look, we locked them up early and they suck.

Since that covers all the bases, its clear that our FO (who have issues) simply can't win.

I agree with all of that, only I would substitute the drafting of a QB with the signing of Kirk Cousins.

With Cousins you have a sure thing -- a QB who has performed at a very high level over an extended period. With a draft pick you have a relative uncertainty at too important a position.

If Cousins wasn't available I'd agree with you completely.

I’m really digging the Cousins idea.

My own personal feeling is that they should trade any player over the age of 28 who has trade value, including RT and Suh for reasonable compensation, IF possible. Dump/trade any players that aren’t playing up to their contracts.
Stock up on as many draft picks between 2nd-5th rounds with these trades.
Target one of the top QBs and attempt to draft him, even if it means trading up.
I have to think that Gase and the FO have someone in mind.
Start with a new QB and a young, hungry team. They have several young building blocks already.
Half fixes rarely work.
Been begging for this to happen for years.

Back
Top Bottom