Miami likely to get a compensatory pick in 2013 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Miami likely to get a compensatory pick in 2013

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Looking towards the 2013 draft, the Dolphins could be in line for a compensatory pick. A compensatory pick is an extra draft pick that the NFL awards to teams that lost more qualifying unrestricted free agents than they gained(there are only 32 total picks and one single team can get a maximum of 4). They have to be a TRUE unrestricted free agent, they can't be a player that was released or traded to the team. Or a player that missed the prior season for whatever reason. They had to have had their contract expire when the new league year began in March. The formula for the compensatory picks is not public knowledge, but people have sort of guessed how it works over the course of the past decade. It is believed that the player has to sign before August, so in this case Ikaika Alama-Francis of the 49ers likely doesn't count as a "loss" for the Dolphins. The formula takes into account the size of the contract, the amount of playing time and any post season player awards. Contract and playing time appear to be the biggest part of it. So lets take a look at who the Dolphins signed and lost and who likely is the qualifying players.

Projected Dolphins Signed qualifiers:

Legadu Naanee - (1 year, $700,000)
Artis Hicks - (1 year, $2,000,000)
Richard Marshall - (3 years, $16,000,000)

Projected Dolphins Lost qualifiers:

Chad Henne - (2 years, $6,750,000)
Will Allen (1 year, $1,000,000)
Kendall Langford - (4 years, $24,000,000)
Marvin Mitchell - (1 year, $725,000)

Now as you can see, Miami likely will have more qualifying losses than gains. Players without similar deals and production usually cancel each other out. So, since Hicks and Allen have similar deals and were placed on IR before the season started, safe to say the cancel each other out. I don't expect Naanee to have a huge impact at WR, and Mitchell is a backup in Minnesota, they probably will cancel each other out. Now, if Marshall and Langford both start the entire season as expected, you can probably cancel those two out also. Which, in the end leaves Chad Henne and his 2 year, $6,750,000 contract. Assuming he is the backup all year and that his AVERAGE salary is $3,375,000 per season, my early projection is either an additional 6th or 7th round pick. All depends on how things play out, but it does look like Miami will be getting a compensatory pick in 2013.

Comparing Henne's salary to the players teams were awarded compensation for last year it looks like Henne will net us an additional 6th round pick.

we need to get at least something for all the crap FA's we got

Henne may end up starting some games this year too....

there is also a floor the comp pick formula, which is around 875k or the vet minimum. I don't think Mitchel or Naanee, or Allen qualify. I agree that Marshall will cancel out Langford. There is the possibility that Hicks may cancel out Henne, or even downgrade the comp pick. I'm thinking a 7th round comp pick for 2013.

We need that pick for a new kicker.

I would have to say Miami's chances at a compensatory pick has improved over the course of this season. Both Naanee and Hicks have been cut by the Dolphins, Langford has started every game so far for the Rams and now Henne is the starting QB in Jacksonville. Looks promising that Miami will get a compensatory pick, might even be in the 5th round range now.

I wonder how Marshall's lack of playtime and going on IR will affect the comp pick Miami receives.

Figuring out how they award compensatory picks is tougher than defining what is "making a football move" after a wide receiver catches the ball. :chuckle:

Figuring out how they award compensatory picks is tougher than defining what is "making a football move" after a wide receiver catches the ball. :chuckle:

sure but I tend to subscribe to Nublar assessment of a 5th or 6th round pick for Henne, just MHO ...

an additional 5th round pick would be very much welcome. multiple picks in three rounds... we could find some solid depth with those fifth rounders... but something is better than nothing, I'd be happy with whatever we get.

Does Gaffney or the waiver wire pick ups ie Patterson, Miller, Armstrong count towards affecting the calculations. Marshall's playing time vs Langford hopefully plays part in equation and Henne's playing time.

It certainly will help the Dolphins chances.

Not so sure about that. The compensatory process has been relayed to me as being extremely formulaic, hence there are some people that are pretty sure they've got it nailed down and they're able to predict within a small margin what picks are going to be handed out each year. Marshall's lack of playing time and spending time on IR strikes me as a non-formulaic consideration that would be hard to plug into a formulaic construct.

Back
Top Bottom