MiamiDolfan85 Miami Mock(first 4 rounds) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MiamiDolfan85 Miami Mock(first 4 rounds)

i dont understand the love affair for bailey that many on this board. i think he will be a solid SLOT receiver. something that we already have. we need a big athlete who can make plays on the outside at the wr position. (Allen, Hunter, Patterson, Williams)

Hate the pick. Montgomery is another Derrick Morgan (who I hated in that draft if you remember while a lot of people here liked him)

You don't invest your 1st rounders on Derrick Morgan types. And that's what Montgomery is, and will be.

i dont understand the love affair for bailey that many on this board. i think he will be a solid SLOT receiver. something that we already have. we need a big athlete who can make plays on the outside at the wr position. (Allen, Hunter, Patterson, Williams)

No he's a slot on speed. Bess does not have that. Bess is a nice player but we can do better. Bailey could be like Cruz just shorter. Playmaker.

Bess is a serviceable slot WR but in today's game you need an explosive slot WR. If lacking on the outside wasn't such a big glaring hole I definitely would want to upgrade Davone Bess in the slot. Bailey definitely reminds me of Steve Smith.

Bess is a serviceable slot WR but in today's game you need an explosive slot WR. If lacking on the outside wasn't such a big glaring hole I definitely would want to upgrade Davone Bess in the slot. Bailey definitely reminds me of Steve Smith.

This man knows. As much as I admire Bess , his lack of speed just kills Miami's offense. The guy must be replaced.

Well that's just it, one of the overlooked things about getting rid of Vontae was losing a physical speciman at CB that had 2 cheap years left under contract and not having to force yourself into a CB come round 1 in the 2013 draft when we could use a Keenan Allen or a Bjorn Werner. Now Dee Milner becomes a very realistic possibility in this draft and you pretty much have to resign Sean Smith, whether you wanted to or not.

I'd actually think come draft time he'll be a favorite along with one of the WR's as the first round pick. I seriously could see us resigning Starks and keeping Odrick at DE and taking MIlner, rather than drafting a DE and moving Odrick inside and rolling with Sean Smith, Nolan Carroll, Richard Marshall, Jimmy Wilson and a 2nd/3rd round pick.

I could see it either way. It will depend on the signs Miami is giving off. I could see Miami doing a pretty decent sell job that after re-signing Sean Smith and combining him with Richard Marshall, they're essentially taken care of at the position, and that the problem for 2012 was just that Richard Marshall got hurt. It seems under-recognized how bad Marshall was really playing as a perimeter corner before he got hurt, and so I think a lot of people could end up forgetting that.

i don't think montgomery is even on the level pass rusher of ray edwards...although i do see a lot of similarities in their game...lester in the top 50...heck no...like the bailey pick...no to dee milliner with the top pick also...although he has played very well

i don't get the carroll in the doghouse stuff but he was out a lot the other day replaced by stanford i believe...i think miami would be smart to lock carroll up on the cheap now...like a tyrone culver extension years ago...3 years $5 mil type stuff...

The Carroll-for-Stanford thing has been happening for three games. Carroll was playing nearly all snaps in a game right up until that 4 penalty abortion of a performance against the Bills. Starting with the Cincinnati game he got 416 out of 438 possible snaps (95%). Since the Buffalo disaster he's taken 109 of a possible 199 snaps (55%) and R.J. Stanford has been the primary beneficiary.

The sense I get is that they're frustrated with him and he's on the outs, and the only reason he's still in on 55% of the snaps is because the only other options are Jimmy Wilson (whom they can't decide whether should be a safety or nickel corner) and R.J. Stanford (whom they picked up off waivers mid-year).

Hate the pick. Montgomery is another Derrick Morgan (who I hated in that draft if you remember while a lot of people here liked him)

You don't invest your 1st rounders on Derrick Morgan types. And that's what Montgomery is, and will be.

Well I'm with ya on not liking Montgomery, but do you realize that Derrick Morgan is actually playing really well in Tennessee? He's the best pass rusher in arguably the best pass rushing unit in the NFL.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

If I'm trying to see "it" on Sam Montgomery it would obviously be:

1) He's cut from stone for the position, like straight out of central casting

2) He's a pretty strong guy

3) Impressive second gear

But outside of that I'm not seeing it.

I think if you're the type that favors speed and athleticism over consistency and ability to get the job done on a down-to-down basis, you're not going to be particularly fond of Montgomery. Naturally, you're going to be drawn more towards kids like Mingo or Dion Jordan. What I like about Montgomery is that when physical, NFL style games along the line of scrimmage break out in the SEC, Montgomery is the guy that's able to handle it. He's the one making plays in these type of games for LSU's defensive line. LSU was in a battle with Auburn in a game where Auburn played over their head, and the game was going to be won or lost at the line of scrimmage... LSU won by 2... Montgomery caused that safety at the point of attack. Against an offensive line like Alabama, Montgomery was the only guy who could hang in there physically and make plays with a key sack and TFL while some of his raw teammates are invisible. Again, I think it goes back to analyzing guys who are able to accumulate "college sacks" versus guys who can physically stand up in trench warfare.

i'd rather roll with carroll on the boundary any day than with richard marshall...i don't get why carrolls in the doghouse...he got called for some ticky tack stuff against buffalo...didn't get away with anything...

for my money he's the one boundary corner on this roster who's future i would be encouraged about...

i don't even remember seeing wilson on the field against san fran...guess he was out with injury...anyways he's definitely showing like a tweener

i don't think sam montgomery will ever rush the passer with any consistency at the next level...i'm not a in love with woerner guy but if i had to choose between the two i believe i n woerners rush talents a whole lot more than i do montgomerys...i see montys pass rush upside as that of maybe 5 sacks per year...not worth the pick investment for me...i see a lot of wasted 3rd downs with him on the field

i don't think sam montgomery will ever rush the passer with any consistency at the next level...i'm not a in love with woerner guy but if i had to choose between the two i believe i n woerners rush talents a whole lot more than i do montgomerys...i see montys pass rush upside as that of maybe 5 sacks per year...not worth the pick investment for me...i see a lot of wasted 3rd downs with him on the field
I'd be willing to bet anything he'll have 5 sacks his rookie season by week 5(assuming hes starting)

and you can quote me on that

There's no way to accurately determine a sack ceiling on a prospect, it depends on how they're used. Chavis' defense is a contain defense that funnels the play towards the linebackers as opposed to a spill. The DE's are required to maintain leverage on the football and play within a certain standard of discipline... which is why Mingo is a part time player and Lavar Edwards is the starter in certain packages (4-2-5 for example). The DE's read and react to the block by the offensive line. If the offensive lineman base blocks for example, the DE is required to engage and undercut the block.. maintaining leverage. They'll only use their speed to squeeze down into the tackle's hip and run down the LOS, especially if they're unblocked (Mingo vs. the zone read, etc.) The linebackers read the triangle (guard-to-guard-to-back) as their keys... if a guard pulls, they scrape over the top and follow. The linebackers are the one's required to spill the play outside with the safeties filling the allies. The run fits are first and foremost if you're going to play defense in the SEC. I remember an extremely athletic DE/LB that played under Chavis when he was the defensive coordinator at Tennessee back in the 90's by the name of Leonard Little.... which is essentially who Mingo reminds me of in Chavis' defense. Difference being Mingo is much more raw at playing defense and football in general. It took Little a few years in the NFL to put on the required weight in order to function effectively as a defender in the NFL, which is what Mingo will be required to do. Little was a force once he was able to do that, and I think Mingo has similar upside.

I saw Montgomery's game against Alabama and I wasn't impressed. Consistently slow off the snap (as per usual), had trouble getting off blocks except for one or two occasions, not active with his hands, was successfully blocked by tackles, guards on the pull, guards in pass pro when he lined up at tackle, even tight ends. Had trouble retracing without getting caught up in trash. The one sack he did get looked pretty fortuitous to me, as the left tackle didn't even realize he'd have help with a chip block on Montgomery's outside shoulder and so the tackle turned his pads perpendicular to the line of scrimmage and got himself tangled in the chip block that was supposed to help him.

He just always ends up looking like a guy that "can play in this league" but not one that's going to be an impact player. If he's worthy of a top 10 type of pick as a defensive end (and maybe he is, who knows) then Cyrus Kouandjio is the next Willie Roaf and Michael Williams is the next Jason Peters.

Of course it can be difficult to tell sometimes because he lines up a yard off the ball like a CFL player.

I'd be willing to bet anything he'll have 5 sacks his rookie season by week 5(assuming hes starting)

and you can quote me on that

as long as i can quote you on that jpp stuff...of which tools and athletically wise montgomery can't sniff

b/t guys that left tackle for bama cyrus whatever his name is that kid looks special to me down the line...i really like him...might be the best player on that line already...

Back
Top Bottom