Micah Parsons | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Micah Parsons

I don’t watch many of his games but did some research. Is it true his weakness is pass coverage?

I don't know if it's fair to call it a weakness, tbh. It's the least proven aspect of his game. He's already a stud rushing the passer and a stud against the run. He has very good feet. He played RB on offense at 225 pounds in HS and he wasn't a brutal pounder. He could make guys miss and outrun defenders. I'm trying to recall if he might even have returned kicks, and he played at the highest level of HS ball you can play in Pennsylvania.

I have very little doubt he can cover people. Just might need some mechanical things cleaned up, but the agility is there.

I don't know if it's fair to call it a weakness, tbh. It's the least proven aspect of his game. He's already a stud rushing the passer and a stud against the run. He has very good feet. He played RB on offense at 225 pounds in HS and he wasn't a brutal pounder. He could make guys miss and outrun defenders. I'm trying to recall if he might even have returned kicks, and he played at the highest level of HS ball you can play in Pennsylvania.

I have very little doubt he can cover people. Just might need some mechanical things cleaned up, but the agility is there.
I think that the swagger is there as well... and a good pass defender needs that.

When we talked about this offline, I expressed a desire for Parsons to take over as the play-caller (if we drafted him), and you had your doubts about that. Have you changed your mind?

I think that the swagger is there as well... and a good pass defender needs that.

When we talked about this offline, I expressed a desire for Parsons to take over as the play-caller (if we drafted him), and you had your doubts about that. Have you changed your mind?

Haven't.

A little too much swagger.

At least for me to be comfortable.

Haven't.

A little too much swagger.
That one thing bothers me more than anything else. If you are going to invest in a stud mike, I think you want him calling the plays. I mean, don't get me wrong... if he's a sideline to sideline guided missile, that's great, but then you have to have a different every down player calling the plays... and that forces Van Noy to play too many downs.

Interesting to hear this take.
I like the idea of possibly trading 1 or 2 x but we should be careful if we are targeting a WR.There are 3 team Chargers Vikings and 49ers that should be eyeing 1.

That's true, but two of those three teams might also be in the market for a QB, too. Also, one of those teams might consider Bateman in the mix with Chase, Waddle, and Smith as elite receivers; I have Bateman a little behind the other three.

One of the two best HS football players I've ever seen in person, the other being LaVar Arrington. Micah is just a natural: a freak athlete with freakish football instincts.

Not as athletic as Arrington (who is?) but more willing to play in a system and play a role than LaVar. He's great as a pass rusher, developed into a great run-stopper in college, and I have no doubt he could be effective in coverage. Basically no real weaknesses, gives you a lot of versatility.

That said, I'm not sure he's a culture fit with Flores and the Dolphins. If Miami drafted him, I wouldn't be disappointed, but there's just some questions I have with culture fit and I don't know if there's that much separation between him and the top WRs in this draft -- which, IMO, is the one real pressing need -- to merit picking Micah over those three guys.

My ideal scenario would be to get the third pick, be blown away by a trade offer to drop to 4 or 5 from a team that wants Sewell or Wilson, then get blown away by another trade offer to move down another 4-5 spots for a team that falls in love with Parsons' potential. Trust me, we haven't even seen what he's capable of yet.

My stance continues to be that, as talented and tantalizing as Micah Parsons is, selecting that kid is a luxury. MIA's defense is already quite capable w/o a player like him. And it should also be factored in that the LB position in today's NFL doesn't have the value or impact that it once did. And they better be pretty good in coverage -- something that is not totally known about Parsons.

I totally get liking the player. I totally get believing he'd make the defense better than they already are. What I don't get is drafting for luxury when the offense is so behind the 8-ball by comparison.

Not only that, but improving the offense improves the defense by proxy. Because if they can extend more drives and score more points the defense has a lot more margin for error.

Imagine if the Marino era Dolphins were the team we had today and they opted to use #3 on a luxury offensive pick. Fans would lose their mind.

My stance continues to be that, as talented and tantalizing as Micah Parsons is, selecting that kid is a luxury. MIA's defense is already quite capable w/o a player like him. And it should also be factored in that the LB position in today's NFL doesn't have the value or impact that it once did. And they better be pretty good in coverage -- something that is not totally known about Parsons.

I totally get liking the player. I totally get believing he'd make the defense better than they already are. What I don't get is drafting for luxury when the offense is so behind the 8-ball by comparison.

Not only that, but improving the offense improves the defense by proxy. Because if they can extend more drives and score more points the defense has a lot more margin for error.

Imagine if the Marino era Dolphins were the team we had today and they opted to use #3 on a luxury offensive pick. Fans would lose their mind.

To play devil's advocate, I think if you were talking a team with two picks in the first two rounds and little cap space, then drafting a player like Parsons would be a luxury. The Dolphins, though, have enough resources to add a high-end piece to the defense and still have plenty of ammunition left to build up our skill positions.

To play devil's advocate, I think if you were talking a team with two picks in the first two rounds and little cap space, then drafting a player like Parsons would be a luxury. The Dolphins, though, have enough resources to add a high-end piece to the defense and still have plenty of ammunition left to build up our skill positions.
HA! I've said that too.

That's twice in a decade.

Eh, it's still a luxury pick no matter the angle you come at it. This defense is already top 2 in the league. The offense isn't. Not even close.

Eh, it's still a luxury pick no matter the angle you come at it. This defense is already top 2 in the league. The offense isn't. Not even close.

That's the approach that makes teams drop. To me, it's complacency, but whatever rows your boat.

HA! I've said that too.

That's twice in a decade.

Yeah. I mean, this is like buying a house, saying that wall that obviously isn't finished is good enough to protect you from the elements as is, putting all your resources into fixing the roof even though you have enough funds and material to repair both ... and then the wall you ignored collapses after being neglected. It's a personal philosophy. I don't think it works, but he appears to be married to it.

I have Sewell, Parsons, Chase and Smith at the top of my board for Miami and would be happy with any of them. My argument for Parsons is that he would give us the ability to match up with guys Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson (which I expect will continue to be a problem for us for multiple years). We have a great secondary, but those guys can give us fits when they run. Having an athletic freak with good instincts can help negate some of those potential QB runs. (My counter argument is that Zaven Collins might end up being just as impactful for us and possibly available with our 1B).

This is really the only argument against Parsons.

He looks like a great LB, but do you really need to be great at that position?

It is more important for Miami to add legit talent at WR and they could still grab Zaven Collins with their own 1st rounder.

I would rather have Chase/Smith and Collins than Parsons and the 4th WR.

Yeah. I mean, this is like buying a house, saying that wall that obviously isn't finished is good enough to protect you from the elements as is, putting all your resources into fixing the roof even though you have enough funds and material to repair both ... and then the wall you ignored collapses after being neglected. It's a personal philosophy. I don't think it works, but he appears to be married to it.

Um, no. That’s not a good or fair analogy at all.

First of all, you are making assumption that there are enough resources to repair everything. It’s an inexact science and you never know who is going to pan out and who isn’t.

But I digress.

Redefining your analogy, I’m saying it is very unwise to address the mostly solid wall with your highest valued resource BEFORE addressing the unfinished roof.

I don’t believe I should have to explain that any further.

Back
Top Bottom