Micah Parsons | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Micah Parsons

The coverage stuff is just a work in progress. Needs some route recognition in zone and he can run with anyone which should cover man carry. He’s taken to off ball lb like a glove. Like no one I’ve ever seen before at such a young age.

what you want to see is the inside read and diag continue to make strides but given how far he’s come so new to being off the ball and how natural a fit he is with it there’s no reason to think it won’t.

id bet on it

My take is simple -- if Grier / Flo project Parsons as a legit wrecking machine
that opposing offenses have to game plan for -- and Flo knows he can use that
dimension to take the D to ANOTHER level = I'm in. But the kid has to be Lawrence
Taylor kind of material for #3. Tho I know every draft is an isolated event and you
really can't make those type of backward associations. I'm just not 100% sure
Parsons is THAT special -- especially when a kid like Collins can be had later...

>>> Who knew the #3 pick was such a "problem!"

I don't know if it's fair to call it a weakness, tbh. It's the least proven aspect of his game. He's already a stud rushing the passer and a stud against the run. He has very good feet. He played RB on offense at 225 pounds in HS and he wasn't a brutal pounder. He could make guys miss and outrun defenders. I'm trying to recall if he might even have returned kicks, and he played at the highest level of HS ball you can play in Pennsylvania.

I have very little doubt he can cover people. Just might need some mechanical things cleaned up, but the agility is there.
With his talent as a pass rusher, I would want him in that role more often than in coverage.

I think he could be elite as a pass rusher. Covering kind of negates his best skill.

My take is simple -- if Grier / Flo project Parsons as a legit wrecking machine
that opposing offenses have to game plan for -- and Flo knows he can use that
dimension to take the D to ANOTHER level = I'm in. But the kid has to be Lawrence
Taylor kind of material for #3. Tho I know every draft is an isolated event and you
really can't make those type of backward associations. I'm just not 100% sure
Parsons is THAT special -- especially when a kid like Collins can be had later...

I generally agree, although I've never seen another Lawrence Taylor.

I also like the idea of getting Smith or Chase over the fourth receiver and going Collins with 1b.

Collins could very well end up going top15, though.

I generally agree, although I've never seen another Lawrence Taylor.

I also like the idea of getting Smith or Chase over the fourth receiver and going Collins with 1b.

Collins could very well end up going top15, though.
Hence you look to trade down...

You're right of course -- another LT ain't coming no more than another Marino.

But you get me drift...

This is really the only argument against Parsons.

He looks like a great LB, but do you really need to be great at that position?

It is more important for Miami to add legit talent at WR and they could still grab Zaven Collins with their own 1st rounder.

I would rather have Chase/Smith and Collins than Parsons and the 4th WR.

To me the character might be an argument for some against Parsons. He had a terrible reputation in HS and now has the hazing questions around him. Is there more? Is it actually less than the rumors are alleging? If he can come out clean from a character side of things, someone will grab him early. He's elite on the field.

Funny isn't it?

You almost wish they were picking 4 or 5 so there were less options.
To me the character might be an argument for some against Parsons. He had a terrible reputation in HS and now has the hazing questions around him. Is there more? Is it actually less than the rumors are alleging? If he can come out clean from a character side of things, someone will grab him early. He's elite on the field.
I don't know anything about his HS days but the hazing issues seemed to point to another player being the worst offender.

Not defending Parsons but nonsense like that is pretty common in football locker rooms.

I don't know if we will ever learn what actually happened and if it rose above the "normal kind of caveman behaviour you get in Football.

But unless something that could be considered criminal comes out, or he is terrible in team interviews his talent will put him up there very high.

It is Football after all, teams are not looking for nice guys.

Could you elaborate on his HS reputation? By contrast, D. Smith appears to be everything you want in a person.

Could you elaborate on his HS reputation? By contrast, D. Smith appears to be everything you want in a person.

He suspended twice in HS, once from the team for 4 games (violating team rules) and once from school. The school suspension lead to him transferring from Central Dauphin to Harrisburg. Several levels to the story and different accounts as to what exactly happened but the charge was inciting a riot. He also didn't start the Minnesota game last year for what was described as a “behavioral modification issue.”

When he was being recruited, I heard the following comments:
- The good: Best player I ever saw in HS, #1 player in the country, scares the hell out of me on the field
- The bad: attitude issues, attention issues, self-absorbed, prima donna, a**hole

Lots of talk about the games he played during his recruitment, committing to everyone, lying to several coaches, just loving the attention and anything that came with it. Again not uncommon in the recruitment game but one term used to describe his recruitment was "bizarre" and kids who play excessive games during the process tend to not live up to expectations. Supposedly his dad was even worse with the attention.

Parsons does have a young child (2 yrs old i think) and that can change people......so if the hazing thing hadn't come up, i would have taken it as a knucklehead teenager who matured in college. This may still be the case as others have talked about his work ethic, how he's a leader on the team, does a lot of local community work, etc.

He suspended twice in HS, once from the team for 4 games (violating team rules) and once from school. The school suspension lead to him transferring from Central Dauphin to Harrisburg. Several levels to the story and different accounts as to what exactly happened but the charge was inciting a riot. He also didn't start the Minnesota game last year for what was described as a “behavioral modification issue.”

When he was being recruited, I heard the following comments:
- The good: Best player I ever saw in HS, #1 player in the country, scares the hell out of me on the field
- The bad: attitude issues, attention issues, self-absorbed, prima donna, a**hole

Lots of talk about the games he played during his recruitment, committing to everyone, lying to several coaches, just loving the attention and anything that came with it. Again not uncommon in the recruitment game but one term used to describe his recruitment was "bizarre" and kids who play excessive games during the process tend to not live up to expectations. Supposedly his dad was even worse with the attention.

Parsons does have a young child (2 yrs old i think) and that can change people......so if the hazing thing hadn't come up, i would have taken it as a knucklehead teenager who matured in college. This may still be the case as others have talked about his work ethic, how he's a leader on the team, does a lot of local community work, etc.
I had an attitude problem in high school and was suspended more than once. I had just entered the foster system. You don't know what he was going through as a kid. College is a different matter though.

Pasons has an excellent highlight reel. He can blitz, wrap up, dip blocks, and takes optimal angles to the ball.

But when you turn off the highlight reel and watch a game, I have some questions about his ability to read defenses and react. He is exceptional If he knows where he is going before the ball is snapped (i.e. shoot the A gap). However if he has to make a decision based on a post-snap read, he's not making plays. Great athlete overall, but not top 5 player imo.

Even though the kid is a phenomenal player when he wants to be, I think his red flags are too much for this FO to be spending a high draft pick on.

It's going to be interesting to see how his interviews go for the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom