Michael Egnew...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Predaphin, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Predaphin

Predaphin Predator in the Water

Does he even deserve to make it to the practice squad? This guy sucks! His strength is suppose to be a pass catching TE and he can't even seem to do that, let alone block. He was a 3rd round pick...do we cut a 3rd round pick???

2. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

I would cut both him and Kaddu. I have seen nothing from either that makes me think they should be in the NFL. The will probably stay though just because of their draft position...but Kaddu better not count on it though.

3. SR 7

SR 7 A True Fan

I told u guys from day 1 the man didn't do **** in school most routes we're 5 yar or less

4. CRAZYDOLFAN305

CRAZYDOLFAN305 We Are Still Going To The SB

That dude looks like a straight stiff..

5. electrolyte

electrolyte A True Fan

Count me among the dolfans on this forum that were pissed off at this stupid pick. The guy is a scrub and could barely get separation at the college level.........

If we were going to grab a TE with a high draft pick, it was Coby Fleener or bust. The damn Colts took Fleener very high in the 2nd round, so after that, we should have just rolled with Fasano/Clay at TE and used the 3rd rounder on a WR

Terrible pick. We have to hope that the kid somehow turns it up for our franchise's sake.

6. oasis

oasis Lost in the fog

This is a really disappointing pick. Kind of reminds me of Pat White in a way...college production and some decent physical tools but you get the feeling there's no drive, no passion, no desire to earn it.

As of now I don't even want him on the roster. Doubt he gets poached from the PS though...well maybe someone who had him graded as a 3rd/4th round pick would pick him up just for a look.

7. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

Something about the guy really pisses me off. Just comes off as a hapless ****er. Didn't look good last year in college. Doesn't look good now.

8. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

We all knew he was a project going in.

9. SQuinn17

SQuinn17 League Dominator

He sucks. I was hoping for Mohamed Sanu with that pick.

10. queb

queb Member

11. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

3rd round picks shouldn't be projects.

12. spiketex

spiketex Kiko Alonso - El Bravo 47 the yappy chihuahua Super Donator Donator

He is inexperienced at blocking. OK what is he good at? His track record says that he has good hands for someone 6' 5". Maybe we should look at him as a big WR.
    I wouldn't give up on him yet. He's only been here a few weeks. Maybe he is a slower learner.

13. nosleep

nosleep Resident GIF Maker

We'll cut Egnew, he hasn't shown anything...

Tapatalkin'

14. Mr. Day

Mr. Day Starter

And wasn't he the third round pick that the Dolphins gave up Brandon Marshall for...? Ireland is an idiot.

15. FinaticalOne

FinaticalOne DieHard FinFan 4 Life

All I have to say at this point, Chris Hogan better have a roster spot before Egnew.

16. overworkedirish

overworkedirish A True Fan Donator

Let me start off by saying I have seen nothing from Egnew that makes me think he deserves a spot on the 53. HOWEVER I also want to say, that this is BS. Last year I called out Gates (not even this early in the preseason!) and people jumped ALL OVER me because it was "WAYYYY to early to talk about cutting a 4th round pick." Egnew is a 3rd. What gives?

Oh, and of course NOW everyone agrees with me about Gates, but go back and read some of the **** people talked - such hypocrisy and zero accountability on this site, I swear...:
    http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?303746-Is-Gates-a-true-lock

17. Billk78

Billk78 Scout Team

This is what will be interesting. In past years guys have earned spots because of their draft status or name. Im curious as to whether Philbin and company will actually have the balls to keep guys who really earned the job, rather than hang on to them only because they were taken high in the draft. A lot of guys deserve spots over Egnew (and Kaddu). Hopefully the staff does the right thing and keep the guys who have shown the most.

18. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Miami going to cut John Jerry, just like they cut Patrick Turner. They suck at 3rd rd picks too apparently

19. EricCartman

EricCartman Well-Known Member Donator

what I find scary is that I heard about his blocking difficulties (here&on HardKnocks) and about his possibly lack of separation, but I don't think to recall anyone (but maybe I'm wrong) talking about inconsistent hands&drops.... maybe is something related to confidence&mind? Idk, but right now, it ain't good fo him (and for Martin...and for Vernon.....sigh, right now our draft seems really bad -except RT- but of course it still too early)

20. LANGER72

LANGER72 A True Fan

Egnew makes Joey Haynos look like a pro bowl player.
    We didn't need to take on a major project with the 3rd pick. There were so many receivers left on the board.
    Something is wrong with our GM and his staff. These types of ridiculous picks are happening every year.
    Egnew would have probably gone undrafted.
    Wow...another wasted pick (head scratching)

21. Andyman

Andyman Canadian Fin Fan

Since everyone is bashing him two preseason games in to his career, I'll play devil's advocate and make two sobering comments:

1. There are some pretty good TEs in the NFL who did not immediately make their respective NFL teams. Antonio Gates is one of them. He got cut first camp.
    2. Agnew made a terrific catch in the first preseason game down the middle.

Lay off the guy and Ireland until real games start. He's young and possibly immature but two preseason games is hardly giving him a fair shake.

22. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

He's not getting cut this year so have patience and see how he develops because there's no other choice.

23. ticophin

ticophin Starter Donator

The more acces to information we have = the lesser the patience...not everybody blooms right from the bat, chill people, everything´s new around here, some things take a while to adjust.

24. Jersey DolFan

Jersey DolFan A True Fan

LoL it was a "philbin pick" it was because we needed that "Jermichael Finley" on our team he was "Going to replace fasano, MAYBE EVEN THIS YEAR!" and it was due to PHILBIN.

now that the guy cant even catch (the only thing he was thought to be able to do) its all IRELAND's fault. LMAO!

PHilbin respects wide receivers even less than Ireland, maybe the same as sparano, maybe less lol. Philbin seems to be allergic to talented wide receivers. he got rid of marshall, got rid of chad, and left sanu and others on the board in the 3rd round for a tight end - a positions thats already stacked - you either upgrade it with a solid guy who can play a bit now, or you grab a project much later in the draft. we needed a WR.

at this rate - and yes i am a fan - i think we are going to have to resign fasano. Clay is coming on a bit but who else??? The Egnew pick was not a great one thus far, we will see. Def needed to spen that on a wr

25. hoops

hoops exited stage left

:lol: once again hoops shoots he scores...

26. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

No we won't. Ireland will not let a 3rd go in one season. We are stuck with this guy for at least a year...

27. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

meh. i'll own that. I'm not sure i'd ever agree with cutting a 1-5 round pick his first season and rarely before he's had a chance for season 2. That being said, i'm one of the guys who hasn't had any faith in gates to become a legit WR. As to egnew, the writing was on the wall, the pass catching te's were all snagged up but this guy, and we needed a pass catching TE for this offense to work. Obviously this guy is having a tough time learning to do something at the NFL level that he rarely did at the college level. I'm not going to jump off a bridge over it, but I still say he gets one season. Now after last night's game i'm alot more concerned about the line than I should be at this point. wtf.

28. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

This isn't a "Philbin" pick. We have been needing a TE for years...everyone knows it...it was just that we finally pick one, and he sucks!

29. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP

with the way clay and fasano have played this preseason, it certainly makes the egnew pick look even worse than it is. resign fasano immediately.

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 AM ----------

so are you bashing the pick, or bashing the fact the pick hasn't worked?

30. kcbrown

kcbrown Life is what we make it. Donator

Projects should not be picked in the third round, bordeline starters and talented back ups should. This kid looks lost. He should hit the weight room and ask himself if he really wants be a pro player.

This kid makes Fasano look All Pro.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2012
  31. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i dubbed this scrub buttercup after we drafted him...and it fits

32. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

Some of these posts are comical. Egnew, like Gates, needs time. If Egnew caught more balls like he did last week, people would love him. He drops a ball or two- now he sucks. This is a symptom of fan desperation for players to step up- in some ways understandable but hardly rational. I don't think that Egnew and Gates are going anywhere, they'll be on the roster imo. I think that Hogan has a very good chance of making the final 53. I'd stick with Jeff Fuller over Roberto Wallace. I think that the WR crew has been exposed, and I laugh at some of the posters who claimed that Chad Johnson couldn't play- he was the best that we had. Him being a pain in the a** with a pain in the a** wife is another matter. Rishard Mathews should stick, and I would have no problem with keeping Les Brown on the final 53 to avoid him getting poached. We need play makers, he can be one, and we should groom him imo, and give him some time to improve his blocking. Egnew- get real, the guy needs time but he isn't going anywhere. The one positive that resonates with me is Hogan, the suddenness out of his breaks, his separation ability. With Naane and Fuller as 6-4 receivers, Wallace is expendable, Hogan and Pruitt get the nod imo, Matthews as well. Bess is what he is- average. And Hartline, for all I care, can get stashed on the PUP while he milks this calf strain. Fine with me, more time for the younger guys to show what they can do. THis is arguably the worst WR crew in the league, I'd rather roll the bones on the younger guys, although I would have kept CJ, for the simple reason that he was the best WR on the team.

33. hoops

hoops exited stage left

:sidelol:

34. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

I'm bashing "who he picked"...not "the position he picked"....so far, the pick sucks.

35. ticophin

ticophin Starter Donator

A few seasons ago, I remember we´d give a pick a couple seasons to show what he can do, or become...This day and age, after 2 Pre-Season matches, some of you are ready to cut his head off!!

36. PALMA

PALMA A very famous spit

Egnew's dumb look on his face rivals the dumber look on Ireland's face.

Another long line of bad draft picks by that prick.

37. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

Time will tell, it's way too early to come to any conclusions about Egnew.

38. overworkedirish

overworkedirish A True Fan Donator

wowwwwwwwwwwwww

39. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

No doubt, but it's still something that we knew going in after the pick was made. We really shouldn't be that surprised.

40. OyeDale305

OyeDale305 MIA#1

Like i said Ireland's draft this year was average at best, He drafts a "tightend" in the 3rd round we obviously need Wrs lmao

41. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

There are no hard and fast rules. Jimmy Graham was a third round pick and a project- safe to say he worked out just fine. Egnew and Les Brown both need a ton of work on blocking, we'll see how they do in time.

42. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 The D will RushYa, Like Moscow Donator

I thought they reached on him in round 3 but unlike Trusnick and Guyton (who I am done with), I think I'd like to stick with Egnew and see if we can develop him into a better TE. He has definitely had a rough start but I see him making the final 53. He has some physical gifts that can really make him a solid seam threat. He has alot of work to do, but the draft is over and he is ours now.

43. Predaphin

Predaphin Predator in the Water

I'll be one to admit I was excited about this pick. I thought we finally had our pass catching TE. He's built like one. But now I see he hasn't done anything...and I would hate for him to take up a roster spot just because of his draft status.

44. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

The only thing about Egnew that may keep him around, is his raw potential. He shows he can get open, but has dropped a few easy passes. He may stand a chance on the P/S due to his poor play and could be worth trying to sneak onto the P/S? Not sure how other team view him? Hope he can make the proper improvements to his game. Don't want to see another 3rd round pick fall by the wayside!!!

45. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

He'll make the 53. You want high picks to look great off the bat, but it doesn't always happen that way. Some need time, and it was a given that Egnew would need blocking work coming out of the Missouri system. My guess is that Egnew will have a very nice game in the near future, and then a whole bunch of people will start back tracking and changing their tune. Typical.

46. KTOWNFINFAN

KTOWNFINFAN Seasoned Veteran

So according to this post our WRs week one will be
    1. Naanee
    2. Bess
    3. Pruitt
    4. Hogan
    5. Mathews
    6. Gates
    7. Fuller
    With us also keeping both Les Brown AND Egnew, and I am going to assume Fasino and Clay??
    You do know there is only 53 spots on the team right?? That is 11 of the 53 right there, who are we gonna cut, Reggie Bush??

Come on, Les Brown is not making the 53, no how no way, and I would be VERY surprised if he got poached. The other team would have to put him on their 53 if they take him and that just isn't going to happen. He just is not a NFL player at this point in his developement. He is as good as on the PS right now. And to be perfectly honest it wouldn't shock me to see Egnew there beside him. They might use Egnew as an example that it doesn't matter where you were drafted you are only as good as you play. I think Egnew will make the 53, but it wouldn't shock me to see him on the PS. It's not like he would get poached after the way he has performed and the bad attittude he has shown.

47. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 The D will RushYa, Like Moscow Donator

Les Brown is a great practice squad candidate, along with Fuller. They aren't making the final 53 (although if Tannehill pulls forward and definitely becomes the starter and he wants Fuller, I could see him making the final roster)

48. Irishfinfan1

Irishfinfan1 Well-Known Member

Flip me give Egnew time, as has been said he was more of a glorified WR in college with very short routes to run. He needs more than one year to get to the level we hope for him, he always was a developmental pick and we just need to be patient. I think dropping a pass or two in two pre season is being overmagnified to suit early perceptions, he just needs a lot of work.

49. hoops

hoops exited stage left

BUST...just give it time

50. jim1

jim1 Pro Bowler

I think that a decision will have to be made between Fuller and Mathews- tough call imo, loser goes to PS. I still have a problem with Bess, I see him as I always have- average receiver. Great intangibles, but short and slow. Averages what, less than 3TDs per year and 600 yards or so? Dude is average. How to solve the problem is a conundrum, as one could gather from Ireland as to his lament about having a glut of low end receivers. I just can't get jacked up about Bess and Hartline. I'm far more interested in how Fuller, Pruitt, Hogan and Matthews do, and I am certainly hoping that Gates gets it in gear, because I think that given time he can be a player, and we could surely use that speed on this sub par WR group.