Michael Egnew | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Michael Egnew

I dont know what kind of NFL player Egnew will be, but I know I liked the pick at the time and of course I would be happy if he was a pro bowl player week two of his rookie season, but what third round TE are we comparing him to that set the standard so high. Also, where did the idea come from that 3rd round picks are not developmental? All draft choices are developmental and a lot of players with talent come from systems unlike the one they are drafted into so there is a transitional period for them. I wish people on this site wouldnt make such critical judgments on players over a handful of games. I know I saw hard knocks too and I know he was called out several times for his lackluster play, but labeling him a bust already? Jerry was criticized even more and presented with the same challenge. Who thought he would be on the roster and starting? Hell, he has played pretty well despite everything that happened.
On the other issue in this thread involving Matt Moore, he was a top 5 player over at the QB position for the 2nd half of the season last year and his decline this year is mostly due to the system. He is completely wrong for our offense and if Tanne went down (god forbid) than I would expect us to not continue to run this style of offense. I like Moore a lot but we would be better served trading him to another team like the Bears and resigning Garrard. I dont know that Garrard is right either but we would need a third QB so it would make sense.

Question: How many third round picks from this years draft sre starting?

I don't think anybody expected him to start as there was no need to with a solid TE in Fasano. But I don't think it's too ridiculous to expect him to contribute or at the very least be on the active game day roster.

true, expecting a 3rd rd pick to be on the field is not a crazy thought. that being said, where the hell is Clay, expecting alot more from him

I don't think anybody expected him to start as there was no need to with a solid TE in Fasano. But I don't think it's too ridiculous to expect him to contribute or at the very least be on the active game day roster.

i just thought it was funny that shouright talked about crystal balls given his matt moore offseason take...pot call kettle black...anyways i'm pretty much of the mindset that this kid egnews never gonna help us...lot of excuses floating around here...clay hasn't shown much as a te pass receiver there was a huge opportunity for this kid to come in and play from the jump...more hype than substance

can't defeat man coverage down the field can't block worth a hoot...you're not gonna teach him to be proficient at either of those things...even though this team desperately needs a size speed mismatch down the seam and in the red zone...very finesse game that requires some physicality and toughness

supposedly he's a smart guy which should help him identify coverages and find soft spots in zones...if he ever sees the field...the speed is overrated though cause he's a one speed guy...

i just thought it was funny that shouright talked about crystal balls given his matt moore offseason take...pot call kettle black...anyways i'm pretty much of the mindset that this kid egnews never gonna help us...lot of excuses floating around here...clay hasn't shown much as a te pass receiver there was a huge opportunity for this kid to come in and play from the jump...more hype than substance

can't defeat man coverage down the field can't block worth a hoot...you're not gonna teach him to be proficient at either of those things...even though this team desperately needs a size speed mismatch down the seam and in the red zone...very finesse game that requires some physicality and toughness

supposedly he's a smart guy which should help him identify coverages and find soft spots in zones...if he ever sees the field...the speed is overrated though cause he's a one speed guy...

I think Roberto Wallace proved you wrong on that one. Oh wait...

Egnew was a bad pick in the third he was a dev player to begin with he can't block at the college level so exactly how was he going to adjust to the NFL so quickly - he needs time to get his strength and technique - he can run the seam and that's a given - is he ready to step up and block - NO!!!! - So a pick that was made too early should not be counted on this soon but the pick is on the Staff and not on Egnew - he didn't even need to block in college he was a huge target - in the CFL they call them Slotbacks

I prefer that he not WHIFF on crucial blocks and get guys lit up - than he play and account for little

I dont think it came up earlier in this thread, but with hindsight with you now who should have our idiot GM taken with the pick?

and i'll keep saying that at 251 lbs he's never gonna have the suddenness to his game...have the kid get down to 240 and see if he can be a poor mans aaron hernandez...a oversized wr pretty much...flex him out...in line i don't think he'll get off jam lbs and into his routes clean...just too soft...i guess that can be improved...but given what i saw at hard knocks must not love the weight room...had a boy scout chest pretty much

I was wondering, because Hooshoops said third round picks should start. I was just curious.

By the way. Shannon Sharpe had 7 receptions for 99 yards his rookie season. He was active for all 16 games, though. Also, was a 7th round draft pick.

Vernon Davis only started in 10 games as a 1st round draft pick.

Tony Gonzalez didn't start any.

All we have to go on whether Egnew will be a productive NFL player is coaching incedent on Hard Knocks. We don't know if he's getting better in practice, or what are his weaknesses (other than blocking, I'd imagine). He looked good at times during pre season. At other times, not so good. If he's not active after the bye week, perhaps we could figure he's not getting it, but now is way too early, IMHO.

i never said he should start...i said on this team given our skill position weapons he should be active and contributing on game day...the staff is dissappointed in charles clay to date as a true te...very raw...has a hard time differentiating man and zone coverage...never gonna be a solid in line blocker at the position...egnew should be on his heels at minimum...

but again if you watched egnews college tape at missouri and said to yourself this kid can handle himself in the blocking dept at the nfl level at the position you got it wrong...he could run some underneath stuff against zone or soft man coverages and was flexed out a lot...to ask this kid to come in and not be an eyesore as a blocker is a misevaluation on the staffs part...drafted cause he lit up the combine at the position numbers wise...classic combine warrior overdraft

no reason a 3rd round pick with the competition egnew has at the position should not be suiting up on sundays...

by the way i didn't need hard knocks for verification this kid wasn't showing much...the preseason and when and against who he was getting run told me what i needed to know...that and the way he looked

I was wondering, because Hooshoops said third round picks should start. I was just curious.

By the way. Shannon Sharpe had 7 receptions for 99 yards his rookie season. He was active for all 16 games, though. Also, was a 7th round draft pick.

Vernon Davis only started in 10 games as a 1st round draft pick.

Tony Gonzalez didn't start any.

All we have to go on whether Egnew will be a productive NFL player is coaching incedent on Hard Knocks. We don't know if he's getting better in practice, or what are his weaknesses (other than blocking, I'd imagine). He looked good at times during pre season. At other times, not so good. If he's not active after the bye week, perhaps we could figure he's not getting it, but now is way too early, IMHO.

That's a lie.

And the only ones bringing up Hard Knocks are the ones defending him, which is funny, because he absolutely blew on HK. The only thing we really have to go on is the fact that he couldn't beat out Clay or Mastrud and will be on and off the active game day roster all year.

Again, bringing up great TEs for some strange reason, and not countering anything I said by doing so.

i seriously doubt this kids active all season barring injury...just can't trust him...that said don't let me ruin anyones game day experience...this teams gonna win some games this year and compete each and every week just about...got a good shot today even...i just don't think it will be michael egnew helping us anytime soon...if ever

1st pick of the 3rd round by the Colts, TE Dwayne Allen, 2 games played, 1 reception for 3 yards....

5th pick of the 3rd round, WR Devier Posey, Inactive, no catches no yards, on a houston team with 0 WR threats outside of Andre Johnson

20th pick of the 3rd round, WR Mohammed Sanu, Inactive, 0 catches 0 yards, listed 6th on the Bengals depth chart

29th pick of the 3rd round, WR T.Y. Hilton, Inactive week 1, active week 2 with 1 reception for 15 yards

As you can see the entire 3rd round is a bust, the Benglas, Colts, Texans GM's should all be fired, all the players listed above are automatic draft busts and should be cut immediately :rolleyes2:

and i'll keep saying that at 251 lbs he's never gonna have the suddenness to his game...have the kid get down to 240 and see if he can be a poor mans aaron hernandez...a oversized wr pretty much...flex him out...in line i don't think he'll get off jam lbs and into his routes clean...just too soft...i guess that can be improved...but given what i saw at hard knocks must not love the weight room...had a boy scout chest pretty much

Hernandez is 6-1, Egnew is 6-5, that's a big difference as far as weighing 240 goes. You can be a lean and lanky 240 lbs at 6-5, not so much at 6-1. Coby Fleener is 6-6, 252, he's doing fine at that weight. No one knows how Egnew will turn out, and he definitely has failed to impress so far- but it's ridiculously early to pass judgement on him, 2 games into his 1st year. I watched some of his Mizzou film and I did see some good quickness and suddenness, never expected him to be a blocker right out of Mizzou. If he does blow out, maybe we'll draft Tyler Eifert next year, you never know, Charles Clay isn't looking so hot either. But Egnew dropping 10-15 lbs or so to get down to 240, I just can't see that happening.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14903/michael-egnew

He might never come good but in the hope that he might, let's be patient. He's 6'5" with good hands. We are better off giving him a go in the red zone than Legadu Naanee. If the coaches are doing their job, he should be learning. I wouldn't be surprised if they give him a go half way through the season. I still think he makes a decent target in the red zone.

Back
Top Bottom