MIKE HULL | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MIKE HULL

I thought Hull was fine for a #3 MLB.

High motor, just limited. Would like to see Allen get more playing time, but having Hull in there is better than Kelvin Shepherd lol

Gase said we may go with some different packages going forward.

But just know that if you go with an extra safety in nickel as a lb like Green Bay did vs Atlanta which was also a function of their trash lb play you are basically inviting the opposition to spread you out and run the ball.

And who would Miami even have to put in there for that other than tj McDonald? The current depth safeties are Michael thomas and Maurice smith and neither of those options are big enough.

I'd probably try to get into some of this on 2nd and long to take away the eye sore mike in coverage assuming Timmons can't go but you are gonna have to really win on first down. 2nd and 12 plus type stuff. You are asking for teams to run draws on you out of that look to get back to manageable sticks.

You have to match personell packages or teams will exploit you and 11 gives teams two way goes

We could try chase Allen as the nickel mike but I think we are gonna find similar coverage target results

That Kiko Alonso contract is going to haunt us for quite some time. We were all concerned about his health, but when he's healthy he's nothing more than average at best. I hope it's a contract we can quickly get out of without huge penalty to pay.

We still need two quality young linebackers to go with McMillan when he's back. Good thing is, even with missing his entire rookie season, McMillan will only be 21 years old when he gets back.

I honestly feel like Chase Allen can be our strong of the future. I know many dont like him but he's fast and big enough. Just needs time to learn

Provided we can limit the run and assuming health to our mission criticals this teams a nickel mike and a short yardage and goalline thumper away from being really good.

Miamis gonna run the ball with Ajayi down a lot of teams throats and as a result we can limit the cutler exposure.

And we did have one of those pieces in Timmons and may have the other in mauluga.

Provided we can limit the run and assuming health to our mission criticals this teams a nickel mike and a short yardage and goalline thumper away from being really good.

Miamis gonna run the ball with Ajayi down a lot of teams throats and as a result we can limit the cutler exposure.

And we did have one of those pieces in Timmons and may have the other in mauluga.

Timmons isn't great in coverage but he is certainly better then Hull. I like Hull but he is just too slow and that's my only knock on the kid. I would love if Allen develops into a solid option and he has a long way to go also but I guess trial by fire is the best.

Some of you are crazy. They held the Chargers to what less than 50 yards rushing??? Last yr we were the worst team against the run with our starting linebackers playing. We had 2 backups in yesterday, on 24 hrs notice, and performed better against the run than all of last season!

Yes, Hull is not good in coverage, but guess what, either is Timmons (they are both much better against the run). I also don't think its fair to judge on one game where a rookie LB was forced to play alongside him at the last minute. What you should be worried about is Maxwell and the secondary looking like complete trash. Or the Dline getting no pressure whatsoever.

I mean I wouldn't necessarily call Kiko great. I would call him average. He's good enough to start. Definitely shouldn't be relied on as the best player on a defense, which he isn't here.

We did go from one of the worst rushing defenses last year to holding Melvin Gordin to about 1 yard per carry in our first game this year. Kiko is a part of the front seven that did that, also with two missing starters at linebacker.

I wouldn't care much if he was playing on the 1 year tender ...if he has a bad year, we let him walk, if he gets hurt, no problem, we aren't committed long term, if he stays healthy and plays well, great, he's officially earned a new deal. Unfortunately that flexibility flew out the window when we gave him the same guaranteed money as Donta Hightower before his deal was up.

Last edited:
while hull might not be great in coverage, getting no pressure on rivers certainly didnt help at all. Rivers had allllllllll day to pick apart the defense.

Marginal across the board.

Was gonna go in and post specific plays but I think 9 for 9 and 95 yards says it all. Even if pff has it somewhat inflated 10 yards a clip for say 7 even is target practice. How you suppose to get leads and pin ears when your lb level is giving up 10 per clip.

Is it his fault he's playing in the nickel no but that won't stop teams from exploiting the hell out of it.

And in short yardage and goalline he's a liability at the poa. Range is suspect too. Doesn't get off blocks

This guys more a try hard overachiever and specials level than anything else.

Of the 1s he's the biggest exposure
Dolphins have been riding with guys like Hull for a long time. They look good in practice with the pads off, they play well on special teams so they have no reason to upgrade or even attempt to upgrade at linebacker. A good reason the linebacking unit has more undrafted free agents on it than any other unit. It screams to me that the position is not important to Miami.

Kiko had some ugly moments in coverage..
he should not be getting shook with a head fake from Gates who can no even move left to right at this point..
It seems like do your job always comes second to kiko.
I still dont mind him starting with with he was covered up by linebackers who have range

Dolphins have been riding with guys like Hull for a long time. They look good in practice with the pads off, they play well on special teams so they have no reason to upgrade or even attempt to upgrade at linebacker. A good reason the linebacking unit has more undrafted free agents on it than any other unit. It screams to me that the position is not important to Miami.

Perhaps prior to the most recent offseason. But drafting McMillian high and paying Timmons good GTD money, I think they realized the priority for an upgrade. ACL and MIA have disrupted the upgrade plans....

Perhaps prior to the most recent offseason. But drafting McMillian high and paying Timmons good GTD money, I think they realized the priority for an upgrade. ACL and MIA have disrupted the upgrade plans....
Half measures. Dolphins have paid everyone high guaranteed money under Tannenbaum. Timmons is not the exception he's the new rule. We signed Ellerbe and Wheeler one year thinking that would fix the linebacker spot. Dansby and Burnett...not fixed. There's no effort being made IMO. We should have doubled up on linebacker, OG and DE in the draft IMO. The three most pressing issues on this team. We are a lot closer to having an elite offense than an elite defense. At least get us closer to an elite offense where we can out score other teams.

From the look of all the blitzes I think they wanted Timmons at SLB so he could blitz from the edge. I sure would have liked to see...

WLB Kiko
MLB Maualuga
SLB Timmons

Take Maualuga out in the nickel and put in Verner (or McCain).

Later in the season put McDonald in the big nickle depending on how Allen rebounds.

Back
Top Bottom